In defense of the wee folk

Ayce

It still succeeds in wasting a lot of resources...

Icen

Hence, as I said, don't have magical defenses that will be dispelled in effect while facing liches or mages and using dispel magic to shut them down............

Heh, I meant your tactic would still use a lot of resources, depending on how often you use them. Anyway, there are enough ways to kill a Lich with a pureclass Mage, solo, without needing an Inquisitor.

Icen

I dunno, if you can slice your way through 3 liches, then finish off Kangaxx with a Mace of Dispruption +2 (or any number of other ways) without breaking a sweat, still having many spell/hp/item resources left with which to continue with other quests, I'd say you've had a good day :(

Also, I should point out that I was able to beat the Crooked Crane lich with my party level at 8-10 (Keldorn was level 8, just recruited). Let me see any other party with level that low pull that off without Keldorn.................

BTW, does anyknow WTH that liches story is? I never understood why put a liche's crypt in an inn so early in the game for.......................

Easter egg?

And I would not go on level, but total party EXP, where my Mage will have no trouble. If my mage is part of a 6-person party it will have considerably less trouble at level 8/9.

In a similar fashion, could you expect a level 8 solo Inquisitor to beat three liches then Kangaxx and still go on for more quests?

If, at level 9, I am able to take on the Twisted Rune, with various scrolls an so on, which takes enough reloads to kill the Mage with the SotM with wands and scrolls alone, and then Spell Trap is enough protection for the vanilla AI.

Icen

In a similar fashion, could you expect a level 8 solo Inquisitor to beat three liches then Kangaxx and still go on for more quests?

Icen

No, I'm just saying that my 6-person party beat the Crooked Crane lich with the help of a level-16 dispel magic from Keldorn. That would otherwise be impossible for such a low level party (again levels 8-10). Remove Magic/Dispel Magic from a level 9-10 spell caster just won't work in these situations.

As for the Kangaxx quest, we were higher level (Keldorn level 16 I think) with several dispel magic and true sight abilities to throw at all three liches. Keldorn wasn't solo either, his dispel magic/true sight keeps them defenseless and thus easy for the rest of the part to take down. Once these defenses are down, spell disruption from melee attacks keeps them from ever mounting an offense.

As I said, with that group, we tore through three liches and Kangaxx having only expended two sunray spells from items (Helm of Brilliance and Daystar) and all of Keldorn's Dispel Magic spells and a couple of True Sight spells. We took little, if any damage (thus still having healing spells to use) and mages still had all of their attack spells available for other encounters/quests.

BTW, this didn't even require any reloads, that's how easy it was with help of serious dispel magic ability...............

Understand, this is all intended as a repsonse to post #28

I thought that lich's spell immunities made Dispel worthless against them. Am I mistaken?

Based on my experience as described above, I would hardly call dispel magic worthless against liches. The caviate being it has to be high-level enough to work. Hence, I said, this where Keldorn (or a 16+ high level Viconia or Anomen) shine.

In my last game where I didn't take Keldorn (just to try some new things), I relied on Viconia for dispel magic duties, when she is level 21+, it kicks tail too............

The reason dispel magic can seem useless is that if the caster isn't high enough level for it to work (against a lich or similar opponent), well, it won't. Conversely, if the caster is high enought level (or Keldorn), it strips them of all defenses making them vulnerable to melee attacks/spell disruption.

Not all protections. Some of the higher level ones remain, iirc.

Icen

Only the permanent, (item-granted) defenses should stand up, but in any event, I still carved through Kangaxx and three liches like a Thanksgiving Turkey using the dispel magic strategem. It works, that's good enough for me.

I often play with Mazzy, and consider her to be the best fighter. To be honest, I switch her from the bow to dual-wielding bastard swords, put a dragon plate on her, and she is an unstoppable force. Jan Jansen is the only thief in the original game that I like (Nalia and Imoen are not among my favorite creatures, and Yoshimo never grew on me the way he did on other folks.) Both Mazzy and Jan were in my very first party to go through the entire BG2. Only with the emergence of Amber I had a dilemma on my hands as to which thief to take. :laugh: To tell you a dirty secret, I have been writting Mazzy's romance on and off for a while now.

I know this is an ancient post, but any chance your Mazzy Romance might see the light of day sometime? I've always been a big Mazzy fan and I would definitely use this mod.

Archived