BG:EE

sirthaddeus

Today they announced a new male NPC (assume this is the new voice actor) and a new adventure.

With that in mind, what would you like to see as an addition to BG1 since it is in the TOB engine and that the devs are followers of the mods especially here?

I myself would like the following:

• Updated BG1 interface; screens on bg.com shows it using the BG2 interface
  • Party banter; be awesome to see how some of beloved BG1 NPCs would chat it up will in the Nashkel Mines or in Baldur's Gate
  • Romances; its in the BG2 engine, no reason they shouldn't be added; I am a huge fan of BG1 NPC, think it would be awesome to see something like this added to the game itself
  • Kits; I am a huge fan of Song and Silence, but should pull in kits from the AD&D 2nd edition Thieves and Bard handbooks
  • A new BG1 UB? Add in what they originally took out from before and maybe even a little extra
  • The seatower of Baluran; I believe there was a possible mod adding this, but think it would be cool to add it into the game, perhaps place for npc/new adventure
  • Worshipping of the Gods give certain bonuses depending on pc alignment, class/kit

I am very fond of the great mods out there that have been made of the years but do you think the additions of new content could possibly make mods like BG1 NPC or Song and Silence obsolete?

Wanted to see if I am not the only one who thinks about this since BG:EE was announced, lol.

• UI Improvements! There's more real-estate on monitors now, let's get some use out of it
  • Along those lines, easier to manage inventory. Less item-juggling.
  • New surprises integrated into the existing areas. It'd be nice to explore and not know where every spawn, cool item, and trap is.
  • More kits/character options. AD&D was never really about balance, so toss in some more classes and races :)

1. Native support for higher/widescreen resolutions for everything, which implies a complete re-rendering of backgrounds, BAMs, portraits, paperdolls and animations. This is not gonna happen.

2. A zoom-in feature so that characters don't necessarily look like ants at higher resolutions. This has been confirmed.

3. A new and improved GUI with the same stony skin as in the original BG. This has been partly confirmed.

4. BG1 paperdolls and animations with dual-wielding capabilities. This is not gonna happen.

5. More animations for existing monsters (e.g. different fiends actually look different rather than displaying the same generic tanar'ri animation). Not gonna happen.

6. Extensive bug fixing, including all fixes currently provided by BG2 Fixpack and ToBEx. Probably gonna happen, at least in part.

7. Convenience tweaks to the UI, such as being able to quickly switch from ranged weapons to dual-wielding and/or two-handed weapons. Probably gonna happen.

8. Convenience tweaks the likes of BG2 Tweakpack. Probably not gonna happen.

9. More divine and arcane spells. This has partly been confirmed.

10. More monsters. Not sure whether this will happen.

11. UB-like quests. This has been confirmed.

12. True color BAMs and everything else that wasn't true color in the original game. Probably not gonna happen.

13. CD-quality music and SFX. Not gonna happen.

14. Strict adherence to P&P rules. Not gonna happen.

15. Banters and romances in BG. Might as well happen.

New surprises and twists on old areas and party banters would be nice. Banters kind of existed in the original BG1 engine as I recall, but were randomly triggering audio lines, oddly something more like a modern game than the text windows in BG2.

Still, I don't mind text windows.

I forgot to add "full compatibility with existing mods" to my list. I sort of took such a vital thing for granted. My bad. There are mods I'm never parting with, so that's gonna be a major deciding factor as to whether or not I'll buy BGEE.

Avenger, the reason why I said that's probably not gonna happen is that I doubt devs at Overhaul Games will bother with such time consuming tasks as designing and modelling new animations for existing monsters (unfortunately). 100% of the items on my list are feasible, especially for devs who work with the source code - it's just that they have either no time or no will to carry them out.

I personally would like to see some same sex romance that doesn't have to be modded in, and maybe some improvements on the existing heterosexual ones, something like the flirt packs and such. Those flirt packs really spoiled me, because todays games, from NWN HOTU and Dragon Age: Origins to Mass Effect 3, I have missed the ability to flirt with romantic interests.

Honestly im surprised ppl play the origanl BG, since BGII came out. Playing thru it once or twice was enough for me. I think BGII has more interesting storylines and encounters then the original did. I was wondering how come Bioware or whoever runs the BG stuff didnt put some history or a way to figure out the fate of Balduran.

Even with all the mods out there i still dont want to play the original BG. I only liked a few of teh characters anyway.....although im not a big fan of evil characters, I did like Shar-Teel.......Viconia(in bg 1) is ok....Edwin i never liked in 1and no more so in 2.

Honestly im surprised ppl play the origanl BG, since BGII came out.
A lot of people prefer to play the BG content inside the BG2 engine via Tutu or BGT. Other people actually do prefer the simpler engine and/or the look and feel of the original.

As for me, I'll play whichever variant is necessary to experience the mod(s) I want to play.

I played both and I believe that the original Baldur's Gate (including its expansion TotSC) is way superior to its sequel (especially if we consider its poor expansion ToB).

But to each its own, as they say...

Honestly im surprised ppl play the origanl BG, since BGII came out. Playing thru it once or twice was enough for me. I think BGII has more interesting storylines and encounters then the original did.

I, for one, disagree. I prefer the graphics, and the story line is far better, probably because it's the *start* of the saga and it's much more non-linear. BG2 became too linear, and the graphics too "modern" for someone who likes a more anachronistic style. But this comes from someone who also enjoys IWD. (audience gasps in horror).

My opinion.

Archived