Translations of v22

DavidW

Merging SCS and SCSII created some inevitable issues with .tra files. What I did was basically:

- Start with the SCSII .tra file

- Add any required strings from the SCS .tra file, with their string number increased by 20,000

- Add any new strings required for the new version

As of the v22 beta I've only done this for the English version of the game. This means that there are currently no translations of strings pertaining to BG1 into languages other than English. Partly I skipped this on shortness-of-time grounds, partly because I was worried about breaking something and not noticing. (I don't really read any of the languages into which SCS(II) is translated.)

I'd like to crowd-source this. If anyone wants to make the effort to convert any of the tra files for other languages and send them to me (either posted here or by email to david dot wallace at balliol dot ox dot ac dot uk) I'd very much appreciate it.

Here's what you have to do (using French.tra as an example):

(1) Start with the French.tra file currently in stratagems/tra/French as a baseline

(2) Download version 21 of SCS (not SCSII) and open the french.tra file in scs/tra/french.

(3a) If you have time, look at stratagems/tra/english.tra, and for each string with a number greater than 20,000, subtract 20,000 from the string number, find that string in scs/tra/french/french.tra, paste it into stratagems/tra/French/French.tra, and add 20,000 to its number.

For instance: if stratagems/tra/english/english.tra contains string @22007, find string @2007 in scs/tra/French/French.tra and paste it into stratagems/tra/French/French.tra with number @22007.

(3b) As a quicker way of doing this, just take the whole of scs/tra/French/French.tra, add 20,000 to each string number, and paste the whole file onto the end of stratagems/tra/French/French.tra

(4) Optionally, by all means provide me with translations of genuinely new strings. (But don't for goodness sake try to translate all the strings missing in v22 without raiding the already-translated versions in scs v21.)

Hi DawidW. I looked at the translation folder where fhere is additional folder named EE. I assume that there should be a copy of setup.tra file with changes regarding EE inside. I noticed, though, that item descriptions have the same style of statistics block as in vanilla. Mainly, I refer to usability blocks which are handled by engine itself and are not needed in item descriptions in EE. But there are some other cosmetic changes that differentiate vanilla from EE. Do you plan to change these descriptions in English version with the upcoming release of SCS29? If so, I could also adjust Polish translation to reflect EE style. Can't tell if other translators went ahead and adjust this by themselves, but IMO this should be addressed because it kind of stands out while playing EE. Thanks in advance for understanding:)

Hi DawidW. I looked at the translation folder where fhere is additional folder named EE. I assume that there should be a copy of setup.tra file with changes regarding EE inside. I noticed, though, that item descriptions have the same style of statistics block as in vanilla. Mainly, I refer to usability blocks which are handled by engine itself and are not needed in item descriptions in EE. But there are some other cosmetic changes that differentiate vanilla from EE. Do you plan to change these descriptions in English version with the upcoming release of SCS29? If so, I could also adjust Polish translation to reflect EE style. Can't tell if other translators went ahead and adjust this by themselves, but IMO this should be addressed because it kind of stands out while playing EE. Thanks in advance for understanding:)

The code in SCS should automatically strip out the "usable by" block when patching the description of an enhanced-edition item. Is this not working in Polish? (It's hard for me to test in languages I don't speak.)

Archived