I wish a "Skip SoD" or "SoD be gone" component

Fouinto

I will give a try to this code ! sure ! I thought it would be so much harder (increasing chapter several times, "tuning" NPC, who know what's more...).

l will give feedback (in this thread) if people are interested, and may even try to write the readme and host the mod (if others are interested).

already tested. You can check it out with save appended to this post (it's made with SCS installed but it shouldn't really matter).

I kept my savegame from october before moving to SoD : It works ! thank you :) I can continue my run !!!

It's obvious that this "SoD be gone" mod would be technically incompatible with any mod having SoD content (such as Sandrah). This mod should be installed very early. BWS could tags mods incompatible and such.

Honestly, I will probably never install a mod with SoD content, even if this mod seems excellent... Each time I try SoD, I give up.

NO. Sirene-BG1 and Sirene-SoD are separate components in the same package that can be installed individually. The only thing the mod requires is a post 2.0 version of the game because of some of the 2.0 dependent content, and versions 1.5 and below are compatible with 1.3 and completely playable. I ask that you at least do some research instead of making assumptions or brushing things off because most of us do consider this stuff.

You are right ! As Roxanne and K4thos explained above, it depends on the way the mod is done : it will cause problem if you are supposed to do something in SoD that is mandatory in BG2EE part.

No offense.

For myself (and I have), I would code it as an unobtrusive dialog option, that equates to "skip sod".

Well, of course ! but I am not a modder :(

I use NI times to times to check/correct something... I can try to read a tp2 files (code from K4thos above seems obvious, but it's rarely the case)... but patch an existing dialog is quite harder for a noob !

It's obvious that this "SoD be gone" mod would be technically incompatible with any mod having SoD content (such as Sandrah). This mod should be installed very early. BWS could tags mods incompatible and such.

Honestly, I will probably never install a mod with SoD content, even if this mod seems excellent... Each time I try SoD, I give up.

NO. Sirene-BG1 and Sirene-SoD are separate components in the same package that can be installed individually. The only thing the mod requires is a post 2.0 version of the game because of some of the 2.0 dependent content, and versions 1.5 and below are compatible with 1.3 and completely playable. I ask that you at least do some research instead of making assumptions or brushing things off because most of us do consider this stuff.

You are right ! As Roxanne and K4thos explained above, it depends on the way the mod is done : it will cause problem if you are supposed to do something in SoD that is mandatory in BG2EE part.

No offense.

And can you(everyone, not just Fouinto) actually give an example FOR one thing you have to do in between that has to be done without it being assumable fact in the BG2 timeline. As yes, you had to kill Sarevok, but the BG2 assumed such ... dah, it's about the writing, not the actual facts that HAS to be done well. You can check if the person is dead in the save(and thus not summon them)... but that's about it. There's no reason why the Sandrah mod couldn't have a BG2-only component, but Roxanne doesn't want there to be just that. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

To be true, I have no example... but AFAIK, it's because most mods was for BG1 part or BG2 part... some was for both (with or without BGT) but mostly tweaks/tactics...

but now that EET is a reality with BG1EE+SoD+BG2EE i would be surprised if Sandrah stay the only one mod with content across the whole EET game :)

I know that modders can take into account that SoD has been skipped, but it's more work just because few players don't want to play SoD...

In other words, I understand Roxanne's choice.

I'd be very happy for a "Dungeon-B-gone" type mod for SoD that skips through first dungeon, with an optional component that skips through whole BG city and puts you in the first wilderness area in SoD.

Add SetPrivateProfileString('Script','QAMODE','1') line to baldur.lua, then in-game select Player1 and press B key. Only works in SoD chapters, though.

Edited by Ardanis

I'd be very happy for a "Dungeon-B-gone" type mod for SoD that skips through first dungeon, with an optional component that skips through whole BG city and puts you in the first wilderness area in SoD.

Add SetPrivateProfileString('Script','QAMODE','1') line to baldur.lua, then in-game select Player1 and press B key. Only works in SoD chapters, though.

Fantastic.

If there is demand for such change than external mod with self explanatory name like "SoD-be-gone" (installed at the beginning of installation so other mods could detect it and refuse to install if needed) would be a better idea, imo. If someone would like to create it (I'm to lazy to write readme file and not really interested in endorsing/hosting it) than all that need to be done is using this code:

COPY_EXISTING ~BDSODTRN.BCS~ ~override~
    DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
        REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~StartMovie("SODCIN01")~ ~~
        REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~MoveToCampaign("SoD")~ ~CreateCreatureObject("K#TELBGT",Player1,0,0,0)~
    END
BUT_ONLY
I will give a try to this code ! sure ! I thought it would be so much harder (increasing chapter several times, "tuning" NPC, who know what's more...).

l will give feedback (in this thread) if people are interested, and may even try to write the readme and host the mod (if others are interested).

At least, if someone is interested...

SoDBeGone.zip

Edited by Fouinto

Out of curiosity - would not export/import character work? As if you start EET, run BG1 part, finish Sarevok battle and press "export", then you start "new game" (still in EET) but at BG2 part and import back your character?

I was going to do that trick for my BG1EE character in hope to bring her to EET-SoD by this way. Was I wrong to think that might work?

Out of curiosity - would not export/import character work? As if you start EET, run BG1 part, finish Sarevok battle and press "export", then you start "new game" (still in EET) but at BG2 part and import back your character?

If you do this, nothing you did was actually recorded... so you made Imoen to be mage at thief level 4, gone. As are her stat changes, kit acquiring, etc you just meet the regular/generic Imoen from BG2 start. You romance ends at the import... and will never continue. It's like removing the AI from the intelligent robot, so it can't recreate it without the exact same stimuli, it will be different AI. Or in another point of view, even if you clone a dead person, it will never have the same personality, without it's memories.

Aka, the Exportation doesn't remember the other necessary Globals.

While a mod that alters the few(placement of the char, the chapter number etc.), will. Just like sleeping does, to a person.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

First, I don't know if you can import your party at different part of EET (just try to get sure).

IF it works, as Jarno said : continuity in MANY aspects (at least, everything based on var (global...)).

In fact, AFAIK, it's quite simple : if you import your game in BG2EE part of EET, it's similar (not exactly the same though) as you do it without EET.

But to be sure, someone will have to TRY ;) or probably K4thos could confirm (or not).

..irst, I don't know if you can import your party at different part of EET (just try to get sure).

You can't export party members.... they have a signature mark that prevents this. Aka they have a bit flag in the .cre file that prevents exportation, as you can read from NPC making tutorial, as usually they are made via exporting existing char with editing the mark out.

You can only export multiplayer player created characters, if you want to keep regular party members, just as you can the CHARNAME if you play single player.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

This mod is the best news I've heard in years. It's like the creation of a favourite dish; like a Paella mixing BG and IWD ... and then you get to SOD ... and you have to ask the chef why they decided to add puffer fish in there...