status of icewind gate 2?

thelee

What's the status on this? I'm particularly intrigued by the possibility of playing BG in IWD2 engine, but googling seems to indicate very old sites and posts. Is this dead? Is the beta viable for just a BG2->IWD2 experience?

The author concluded (in about 2005, I think) that there were too many differences between the BG2 and IWD engines to make an automated conversion viable. The mod is out there in open beta form and I know some people play and enjoy it.

From what I read last time about this subject was that the author of the mod left the community and left behind unfinished Beta that nobody has picked it up again so far, so the very old topics are very likely the most current once about it...

Of course there is other engine convertion projects that make other game compadable with each others, but you might not want to hear about them, as they have nothing to do with the BG2 to Icewind Dale 2 convertion...

Icewind Dale 1 to BG2 Engine(beta). Forum link.

Icewind Dale 1 to Icewind Dale 2 Engine(beta). Forum link.

BG1 to BG2 Engine: BG1Tutu/EasyTutu, BGT(-WeiDU). These are all primarly finished projects, but the EasyTutu and BGT are still getting later editions cause of few bug fixes and additional features are added to them...

The author concluded (in about 2005, I think) that there were too many differences between the BG2 and IWD engines to make an automated conversion viable. The mod is out there in open beta form and I know some people play and enjoy it.

Am I to assume then that a BG -> IWD2 engine conversion would be thus even more unviable?

Am I to assume then that a BG -> IWD2 engine conversion would be thus even more unviable?

I'm pretty sure that David meant IWD2, not IWD.

I think we're all kind of missing each other's meaning :)

I was specifically asking about the feasibility of a BG1 -> IWD2 comparison, in light of his remark that a BG2->IWD2 comparison was deemed unviable.

I was specifically asking about the feasibility of a BG1 -> IWD2 comparison, in light of his remark that a BG2->IWD2 comparison was deemed unviable.

I did mean IWD, sorry.

BG1->IWD2 would be marginally easier, just because it's a simpler version of the same game engine. But I still think it'd be in practice impossible. One pretty overwhelming problem is that you can't do joinable NPCs in IWD or IWD2.

I did mean IWD, sorry.

BG1->IWD2 would be marginally easier, just because it's a simpler version of the same game engine. But I still think it'd be in practice impossible. One pretty overwhelming problem is that you can't do joinable NPCs in IWD or IWD2.

Really? How did icewind gate handle it then?

Archived