Koveras' Ring

Salk

Well, the 1 / day combo is surely powerful but I made the duration short and might even be shorter actually.

Yes, I liked the idea of a bonus to Luck so that it'd be superior to a "normal" Ring of Protection +1.

I actually think it'd be even better like this:

Shadow Ring

This ring was given to you by Koveras in Candlekeep. Its polished black surface is cold to the touch and engraved with powerful incantations. On the inside you see a figure eight.
STATISTICS:
Special Abilities (once per day):
True Strike
Equipped Abilities:
Backstab Multiplier: +1 bonus
Usable By:
Thieves (non good aligned)

I'm still working on that damn readme (that unfortunately nobody reads) but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I'm all for making Kovera's ring more unique considering it look like it serves a unique purpose within BG1 story. I also kinda like Salk proposed item (+1 backstab, 1/day True Strike) but:

- I don't know if it's balanced (especially when used with RR's Assasin or the upcoming KR's one)

- I'm not sure if it's ok to make it an item only thieves can use (what if you don't have any thief in your party? don't we need it to always be appealing for any charname?)

- can you confirm me it deserves a Shadow Thief related lore?

The +1 to backstab multiplier can be used by others than just Thieves, by Stalkers for example... I don't see a reason why to restrict it to only thieves. Especially with the True Striking ability. Yes, thieves would get the most benefit out of the ring, but a Fighter could use it as well to fight Sarevok... or any other char that is immune to Backstab rather than the Thief of the party who get's slaughtered if the first stab won't kill. And no, no one else needs the backstab multiplier than the Stalker and thieves, but that's easy to code with targeted opcodes, just like the other backstab stuff.

So just restrict the ring from True(Lawful Good) Paladins, that's it !

Uhm, it might be a false memory, but wasn't Sarevok's legend all about "Gorion wanted you to have it, blahblah?" What exactly does he say when tries to give it to charname?

Because any mention of Gorion there kinda makes any Shadow Thief lore on ring dubious at best.

tldr, +1 luck thingy was the best imo.

I'm still working on that damn readme (that unfortunately nobody reads) but I'll give you my 2 cents.

I love readmes! And the SR/IR one's are great! Don't forget to have me nit-pick it before you release it into the wild :D

don't we need it to always be appealing for any charname?

That some class(es) would have more use for this particular ring is kind of ok, but restricting use makes no sense IMHO.

Like n-ghost says, clean +1 luck is the best suggestions thus far. If I recall correctly, luck-boosts are (very?) scarce in BG1.

I love readmes! And the SR/IR one's are great! Don't forget to have me nit-pick it before you release it into the wild :D

I do hope to finish a first draft today. I will gladly let you check it.

don't we need it to always be appealing for any charname?

That some class(es) would have more use for this particular ring is kind of ok, but restricting use makes no sense IMHO.

Like n-ghost says, clean +1 luck is the best suggestions thus far. If I recall correctly, luck-boosts are (very?) scarce in BG1.

Afaik there's not a single item within BG1 with a luck bonus. I almost never use Luck because doing so would greatly diminish its uniqueness imo and because its often forgotten damage reducing feature is extremely powerful. Even a single +1 luck means you get -1 dmg for each and every dice roll (e.g. a 10d6 Fireball inflicts 10 points less of dmg)!

That being said, the ring (Kovera's Ring of Fortune?) would be very unique within BG1, and it cannot be gained back for BG2 (stacking it with the similar Ioun Stone and/or Luck spell would be almost brokenly OP imo), thus I may give it a chance.

Koveras offers the ring saying it was Gorion's legacy. In the game, if you keep the ring, it's identified to belong to Shadow Thieves Assassins.

Considering this premise, I opted for a non good aligned thieves only item because the first is a lie while the second is truth: the ring identifies the bearer as an assassin of the Shadow Thieves Guild.

So the second proposal makes much more sense to me. True Strike as special ability and a bonus to the backstab multiplier fit the ring well.

What about making the ring have a unidentified description suggesting it was given to you by Sarevok and that it belonged to Gorion blah blah blah, some statistics that aren't true/complete, and the identified description reveals it's actually a ring of the Shadow Thieves and it's real statistics? For me it seems like a good idea (if it's given a high Lore rating, like 70 or around that), since it would be fitting for Sarevok to give IMO.

I dunno what effects/abilities the Ring should give. Just keep it balanced ;)

I also think that the luck bonus is very suitable: Useful for all classes (as a gift from Gorion should be) and especially useful for thieves (as actually belonging to an assassin). SSoB already gives bonus to backstab and there definitely shouldn't be another one that can be used with it.

I also think that the luck bonus is very suitable: Useful for all classes (as a gift from Gorion should be)

But it's not a gift from Gorion. That's a lie...

I think what the other guys are trying to point out is that the ring is not a gift from Gorion, but it has to look like one. If a simple identification (via lore or 1st lvl spell) quickly reveals it as a Shadow Thief ring the facade would fall too easily I guess.

I also think that the luck bonus is very suitable: Useful for all classes (as a gift from Gorion should be)

But it's not a gift from Gorion. That's a lie...

I think what the other guys are trying to point out is that the ring is not a gift from Gorion, but it has to look like one. If a simple identification (via lore or 1st lvl spell) quickly reveals it as a Shadow Thief ring the facade would fall too easily I guess.

Sure. I get that of course. The problem is that the ring must be a distinctive ring for a Shadow Thief Assassin. There is no way out of this.

Archived