Garrick's Infatuation, a new mod by Domi

"Garrick's Infatuation" allows Gorion's foster daughter to explore a closer acquaintance with her very first biographer through a series of 25 conversations. The flirtation is available to females of any race, class, or alignment and it begins shortly after Garrick is recruited. The mod is intended for the Baldur's Gate segment of the saga and is fully compatible with the BG1 NPC Project, though the latter is not required. At present, the EasyTutu, BG Tutu, or the BGT conversion is required.

This mod is designed to work with Baldur's Gate Tutu, EasyTutu, or Baldur's Gate Trilogy, with or without the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. It should be fully compatible with all other WeiDU mods.

The mod is currently available for Windows. Once beta-testing is concluded, Mac OSX and Linux versions will become available.

Q: Are there romance requirements?

A: There is a gender requirement. Garrick prefers ladies.

Q: Do any of the dialogues require specific conditions (at an inn, etc.)?

A: No.

Q: Can I play it on vanilla Baldur's Gate?

A: Not yet. Eventually, that feature will be implemented, but the timers will need to change.

Q: No music?

A: It's a beta. Version 1 will have music.

Q: Are there romance conflicts with any other NPCs?

A: No. It's flirtation, nothing more.

Q: Who should I talk to about bugs?

A: Er... an exterminator? Use the bug-report thread. Domi wrote the mod, but berelinde is maintaining it.

Q: I have other questions.

A: That isn't a question. But if there's something you want to know, ask here.

She wrote it a year or two ago. It was originally going to be part of a larger, collaborative work for Tutu and BGT, but since that project is delayed and this did not need to be, she decided to just release it now. There is certainly enough content for the mod to stand on its own.

Really, really lovely writing here. I never played a whole game with Garrick, but he's a very sweet character here, and it's amazing how much in character he is. He's faithful to his original BG1 type, he is nice, sweet and practically is a big puppy. I read all his dialogues and enjoyed them a lot.

I think romance conflicts are needed, though. Garrick kisses PC on the lips, confesses his love and optionally receives a love confession in return. If PC is in a romance, I'd say that's cheating. If my husband kissed another woman in my presence and told her he loved her, I'd be thinking about divorce - and speaking of PC's suitors, I think Ajantis would be pretty pissed and Xan would be rather upset, too. I'd suggest triggering Garrick's last three conversations only if any of the romances aren't active, but this is probably against the author's intent, so - should we add more content(Xan's reaction to Garrick's kiss/flirt, and possibly Ajantis's, Coran's and Gavin's) for Crossmod Banter Pack?

Edited by Kulyok

A long time ago, before my time, somebody asked if Tutu mods should be included in Crossmod Banter Pack. The decision was no, since there were only three NPC mods for Tutu anyway... but now there are more. Maybe it's time that issue was addressed again. I wouldn't mind including it.

Domi wrote the mod and coded the dialogue, but I did the scripting, the little there was. I asked Domi about the match conditions and she said "any female." When the Coran Friendship mod came out, I thought it was a bit strange for none of the lovers to complain about Coran and the PC going away for a week together, but there isn't any crossmod stuff for that, either.

It's easy enough to work into mods that involve non-BioWare characters. The dialogue files already exist in the game and there's no need for detection code in the tp2, so any crossmod content can go in the mod itself. That doesn't work for the BG1 NPC Project stuff because that mod is locked down with no new content.

Domi is insanely busy with RL these days, but she's usually willing to tweak dialogue that's already written. She has a policy of open crossmod without need for approvals for all her stuff, but I personally wouldn't want to write romance-related content for either Coran or Garrick without giving her a chance to check it for "voice" consistency. For quality control reasons, if nothing else. As for Ajantis responding to the situations in either of those mods, yes, I agree that Ajantis would definitely say something. Jastey, too, is insanely busy with RL, but I'll send her a PM and ask her what she wants to do about Ajantis.

TL;DR: Write it up, get feedback from Domi if that's what you want to do, and put it in the CBP workroom. Once I see it there, I'll put it in the mod. I'm planning on updating the CBP next weekend, but there are no deadlines. Version 14 will not be the last update ever.

Edit: And before anybody asks, if BG1 material does wind up in the CBP, it will be coded for both Tutu and BGT. If the modder isn't comfortable with crossplatform coding, I can code it up.

Edit 2: Another possibility, and one that avoids adding BG1 content to CBP is to add any romance conflict stuff for BioWare NPCs to either the Coran Friendship or to Garrick's Infatuation themselves. Domi has author's rights to both mods, of course, but I maintain them. It's six of one half-dozen of the other, there. That said, I know there are other Tutu/BGT NPC romance mods in development (not by me). Eventually, we may want to get in the habit of putting Tutu/BGT crossmod in the CBP as a matter of principle.

Edited by berelinde

Hi folks, please, add whatever Cross-mod content that you think is needed. BG1 is much less developed in this regard. That's said, I don't see Coran having more than a chuckle over the whole Garrick 'affair', it's so small. Don't forget that there are Skie and Safana in the running as well, on the woman's side of the equation. If you give me a few days, I might brainstorm something if we are going for cross-mod for this one.