Rebuilding Blucher's alternate BG2 NPCs

Nythrun

Yeah, it is an SCS issue, but as there is currently no documentation to check, I was wondering if L1NPC checks for SCS or if it just skips those NPCs. I don't plan to include that component of SCS next installation because I'd like to use L1NPC instead. Will it change BG1 NPCs as well, if SCS isn't installed?

I posted this elsewhere but thought it might be worthwhile to put this up again.

If Beta 6 is uninstalled, and I kick NPCs out of my party, they use the generic multi-player leaving dialogue instead of their individual lines.

I am 95% sure Lvl1NPCs is the cause of this, but not 100% sure. It was the only mod added on top of a stable install, and appeared to cause the issue after uninstallation.

It may not necessarily be a bug (maybe you can't uninstall this mod without starting a new game).

I had an error installing, thought you would like to know about this.

[./override/HAQUAT.CRE] loaded, 1076 bytes

[./override/HARPASS1.CRE] loaded, 1464 bytes

[./override/HDRAGRED.CRE] loaded, 2512 bytes

[./override/HDRAGSIL.CRE] loaded, 1656 bytes

ERROR: illegal 48-byte read from offset -1 of 1656-byte file HDRAGSIL.CRE

ERROR: [HDRAGSIL.CRE] -> [override/HDRAGSIL.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("HDRAGSIL.CRE: read out of bounds"))

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Nythrun's L1 NPCs, Beta 6: List party-joinable NPCs (required to install any other components)], rolling back to previous state

[lvl1npcs/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

I uninstalled the Revised Hell Trials from the Questpack and then it installed just fine.

Thank you for the reports! The Revised Hell Trials folk sprobably could use a duplicate report, as it sounds like something they are patching is causing the .cre offsets to be strange.

I am testing to see what in Nythrun's code might make the "export allowed" flag to be set, which could result in the Multiplayer KickOut dialogue stuff from happening (though I am still not sure how, as when you uninstall them the .cres should revert to original...)

I've also experienced the Improved Hell Trials install issue. Would it be safe to install that component of d0 Quest Pack after lvl1npcs?

As for a found bug... when the 1st component of lvl1npcs is installed, Assassins (Thief kit) have no available Alignment to chose, prohibiting the PC from going any further in character creation with that Kit.

Also, Jaheira did not retain Harper's Call when changed Druid kits, despite the readme's claim to retain character specific spells.

Both are easy Shadowkeper fixes, but I don't believe either is intended. :)

@ dizzyorange:

I just installed changes to Coran and Aerie on both BGT and Tutu, then checked the .cres - everything looks in order. I then uninstalled them, and checked, and everything is a-ok there, too - there are no flags set.

I wonder if other mods in your install order are reordering the .cre, such that something goes off? Hmmm...

@vagrantwinds:

cool - I will log that for Nythrun.

[and you mean on BGII - SoA not BGT or Tutu or BG, right?]

To double check - I just installed Aerie on BGII, and chose Thief, then Assassin as a kit. Do you mean you can't advance in the class, or that Nythrun needs to add a range of matching alignments? Or did this not work on your game at all (you couldn't see the next line, where you began assigning thief skill points and proficiencies?)

I just made Aerie in BGII an Assassin with crossbow and kitana - the .cre checks out, even though she is still LG (but for some reason only aerie6, 7, 9, 11, and 12 were changed. aerie10.cre remained the original [and of course aerie.cre remained an ogre :) )

Can you please provide some more detail?

EDIT: Sorry, Comcast has me offline on the personal webpage. Upgrading to 1GB space, but the download link in the top post will be offline for up to 12 hours depending.

@vagrantwinds:

cool - I will log that for Nythrun.

[and you mean on BGII - SoA not BGT or Tutu or BG, right?]

To double check - I just installed Aerie on BGII, and chose Thief, then Assassin as a kit. Do you mean you can't advance in the class, or that Nythrun needs to add a range of matching alignments? Or did this not work on your game at all (you couldn't see the next line, where you began assigning thief skill points and proficiencies?)

I just made Aerie in BGII an Assassin with crossbow and kitana - the .cre checks out, even though she is still LG (but for some reason only aerie6, 7, 9, 11, and 12 were changed. aerie10.cre remained the original [and of course aerie.cre remained an ogre :) )

Can you please provide some more detail?

I don't mean when changing NPC classes. I mean when starting a new game and choosing <Charname>'s class. If I chose Assassin, all alignments at the "Alignment" screen would be greyed-out out and non-selectable, meaning character creation was unable to finish with that kit. Until an alignment is chosen, the "Next" button is unelectable to continue on to rolling Attributes... and there's no allignment to select.

It's possible that this could be a conflict between 1lv1npcs and Avenger's Rogue Rebalancing. I've had the same issue weather or not lvl1npcs is installed first or near the end, but I do not recall if I've had an install with lvl1npcs that hasn't had Agenger's Rogue Rebalancing on it too. =\

@berelinde - no problem - it is at no (additional) cost to me - apparently Comcast is looking fro ways of keeping up with the competition and are upgrading everyone who has the cable modem and account. They should be done rather quickly :)

@vagrant_winds - Hmmmm...

wow. I will check that out. I can't find where the charbase files are touched in her code; this will either teach me alot about stuff or completely melt the last remaining vestigaes of my brain.

So, on an install with level1npcs and RR, the changes effect chr file choices....

I have a Tutu game with both RR and L1NPCs on it, and will see if I can replicate it. Then I'll toss on both a L1 with and without RR. At the very least, it will give us some idea as to where to look for the problem.

Edit: on a Tutu game, without RR, I can create each one of the classes with no alignments greyed out. I'm probably out for tonight, but will try a BGII RR/L1NPC combination tomorrow (and then I had better wipe my drives and start a clean testbed and working install - it is starting to get crowded again, and I don't want to confuse the issues).

Edit2 - well, some of this might be because I somehow uploaded the wrong tp2 - that is a Beta5 tp2. ETA on the upload is 24 hours fro this post - gotta go walk dogs and prep for tomorrow - the *real* Beta6 with correct tp2 will be up tomorrow - sorry -

Hi everyone. Um, I'm not really back, but I apologize for my negligence in attending to any remaining problems with this stupid morass.

The hdragsil.cre problem is a conflict between Quest Pack and SCSII - you should be able to work around it by installing the Hell Trials bit of Quest Pack after SCSII (and after anything else that might be modifying the dragons); if you don't, taking the evil path in the Pride[?] trial will crash your game. Of course, you won't get the updated AI this way. It's not really an error on anyone's part, but it should be easy enough for Sim or DaveW to work around.

In re unselectable Assassins: there was a bug in some early versions where I corrected the internal spelling of a few kits in one place and not in another, which left no valid alignments for those kits. If you're using Beta6, it's probably an incompatibility that needs looking into.

Any NPC you've modified that's joined the party won't revert to normal upon uninstalling the mod: at that point they're permanently stored in the saved game rather than just afloat in the override. While it's not impossible to mod saved games (just annoying :) ) it's not in general a good idea, as scanning through a list of saves for altered files is pretty much impossible to do without errors of the game exploding kind. I'm not sure why there'd be a problem with Yoshimo's dialogues, though - it'll be a bit before I'll have a chance to look into this.

Harper's Call - I have no idea, that used to work. I may have time this weekend to install BG2 and see what's up, if I can remember what I did, hee.

Sorry again.

Nythrun, welcome home sweety. I am sooo serious about that footrub... Whenever you're in NYC, lemme know.

Look, do us all a favor a give a nod to CamDawg agreeing to let the mod be developed freely by the "Community". It's still our baby, I for one will not allow it to be abandoned, but for some reason The Powers That Be won't allow the mod to be hosted here without your blessing.

Just post here that it's okay to do so. I'll crack the whip afterwards.

Take whatever time you need before coming back in. We should have a separate forum (finally) by the time you're ready to rejoin. Don't worry, we're not going to let things pile up just for you to fix.

OK, found, fixed, and tested some minor finger-slip regexp with [09] vs [0-9] to catch aerie10.cre, changed to README behavior, and have checked and rechecked .tp2 and updated readme with Nythrun's latest notes in this thread, setting it up with WeiDU v201, and reposting the first post in a new thread in a few minutes. Will check with Nythrun on her last version and do file comparison, and we should be ready and open for business in just a few more days. Still working on replicating the RR potential conflict. Currently unable to test Jaheira's Harper's Call; probable ETA is 2 weeks on that.

This stuff is pretty darned cool - you are an Iron Chef of Coding, Nythrun.

edit: erm... well... I have the package ready to go, and have successfully test installed, but Comcast still has my site offline... will advise when I can be back in business.

Still working on replicating the RR potential conflict.

Hmm, Rogue Rebalancing restricts the alignments which are available to Assassins in the standard manner (by changing the appropriate values in ALIGNMNT.2DA) so I don't think that would cause a conflict per se. For the record, here's the code from my .tp2:

COPY_EXISTING ~ALIGNMNT.2DA~	  ~override~  // disallows all good alignments for Assassins
SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#TALIGN~ 38 1 ~0~	  // dissallow Lawful Good alignment
SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#TALIGN~ 38 4 ~0~	  // dissallow Neutral Good alignment
SET_2DA_ENTRY_LATER ~RR#TALIGN~ 38 7 ~0~	  // dissallow Chaotic Good alignment
SET_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW ~RR#TALIGN~ 1			 // Actually make the changes
 STRING_SET ~25213~ @35					  // Updated Assassin kit description

BTW, if someone could PM me the link for the latest LVL1 NPCs beta I'd be happy to test in with RR on my next run.

Archived