EET RC 7.1 installation on MacOS (Mountain Lion & Sierra)

subtledoctor

I have a new updated install of the newest OS for my Mac, and I think my old Mountain Lion install was full of cruft that might be getting in the way (I had always just upgraded and cloned, never did a clean install, across 5 operating systems and 4 computers).

So: I have a clean install of Sierra, with v2.3 of SoD and BG2EE, and Weidu v240. I downloaded EET RC 7.1 from the Github link and ran it. Immediately I ran into a problem with the initialization:

ERROR: Sys_error("EET/lib/pcu_dict.tph: No such file or directory

A .tph file is apparently missing from the EET package? I commented out all references to it in eet.tp2 and eet_core.tp2.

Then I ran into the same problem as before, which I believe is OS-specific:

ERROR: error loading [Baldur]

I already described this error here:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28161&p=247602

In short, in OS X(at least with the GOG version of the game), the executable does not reside in the resources folder where chitin.key is. OS X apps are basically folders, which the OS treats like an app. Inside the BG2EE 'app' there is a "Resources" folder containing chitin.key and /data and Weidu etc. And there is also a "MacOS" folder which contains the actual executable program. So the executable that you want to patch is one level up, one folder over, and then one level down from where Weidu is running. I'm not sure what that means as far as whether Weidu can find and patch is. Also, I'm fairly sure that the Beamdog and Steam versions of the game have different file structures. So just saying

COPY ~Baldur%exe%~ ~Baldur%exe%~
...is never going to work.

I commented out those patches in eet_core.tp2, as outlined in that other post. But, for all I know that was necessary stuff. I can't tell what that bit is meant to do.

After making that change I ran eet_end without any errors. Then I started the game. Again I got three

Invalid token in menu: [useOverlayTint] on line 4813, character 3
errors, again I could click through them and the game started. I got through the couple splash screens, D&D, Beamdog, etc., and then I successfully got the BG2EE menu! But, there was stuff missing. The picture in the center of the screen was just black space:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86011511/eet%20osx.png

When I click "new game" it crashes to desktop.

I then tried installing the 'eet_gui' mod, but in this case I didn't get to any menu, the game crashes immediately after the splash screens.

Happily (!) whatever code you used to add a shortcut to the desktop does not work on Macs - none was created. I assume that some other Windows-only code is somewhere in the eet_core mod. But, I have no idea what it could be. Maybe something to do with the UI.

Update: I moved the executable into the game folder, ran eet_core successfully, then transferred the executable back to where it should be. It makes no difference, still no graphics in the menus and still crashes when I hit 'New Game.'

Maybe something important is in that "pcu_dict.tph" file? Hard for me to say since I haven't seen it and don't know what it does.

(Just peeked at the contents of that file)

Yeah, that looks kind of... important. Trying again now.

Using that pcu_dict.tph, and moving the executable to where EET can patch it... same result.

- Three errors mentioning UseOverlayTint that can be clicked through

- Successful startup of the game

- Missing graphics in the menus

- Crash when I hit "new game"

"404 not found" - the internet is giving me the same error that Weidu did! :jump:

Looking at the github project, I don't see that file in /lib:

https://github.com/K4thos/EET/tree/master/EET/lib

So there is definitely an error in eet_core.tp2 in trying to COPY it from there.

It's because forum HTML parser is fucked and it's adding html: http://image.prntscr.com/image/fc4587cd5a734d71b73cc85702f15026.png I've corrected link.

COPY ~Baldur%exe%~ ~Baldur%exe%~

...is never going to work.

So the executable that you want to patch is one level up, one folder over, and then one level down from where Weidu is running. I'm not sure what that means as far as whether Weidu can find and patch is. Also, I'm fairly sure that the Beamdog and Steam versions of the game have different file structures. So just saying

My English is not great and I have problem understanding your written explanation. Could you please just post the Mac path to this file - the one that you would use yourself in weidu mod when you want to edit the file. Is it this one?

./MacOS/Baldur

where "." is main directory with "setup-EET.exe" and other weidu files.

You can test the path yourself by trying to copy the file from within the weidu.

Also, I'm fairly sure that the Beamdog and Steam versions of the game have different file structures. So just saying

also please post which version you have if this is the case.

errors, again I could click through them and the game started. I got through the couple splash screens, D&D, Beamdog, etc., and then I successfully got the BG2EE menu! But, there was stuff missing. The picture in the center of the screen was just black space:

https://dl.dropboxus...511/eet osx.png

When I click "new game" it crashes to desktop.

I then tried installing the 'eet_gui' mod, but in this case I didn't get to any menu, the game crashes immediately after the splash screens.

your screen shows game version v2.2.66.0. This may explain the problem. It should be v2.3.67.3

There were differences in UTIL.LUA between patch 2.2 and patch 2.3. But why are still on old patch?

ERROR: Sys_error("EET/lib/pcu_dict.tph: No such file or directory

A .tph file is apparently missing from the EET package? I commented out all references to it in eet.tp2 and eet_core.tp2.

Github repository should now have this missing file, thanks for report. It looks like Github deleted it from the package after I reverted one of the commits.

My English is not great and I have problem understanding your written explanation. Could you please just post the Mac path to this file - the one that you would use yourself in weidu mod when you want to edit the file. Is it this one?

./MacOS/Baldur
where "." is main directory with "setup-EET.exe" and other weidu files.

You can test the path yourself by trying to copy the file from within the weidu.

I can only tell you what I see. I have BGEE from Beamdog; there, the actual executable file seems to be in

/Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/contents/MacOS/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

There, the game folder with chitin.key is the "00777" folder. So the executable is several layers within the game folder.

I have BG2EE from GOG; there, the executable file seems to be at

/Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/contents/MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition

By contrast, the GOG game folder is at

/Applications/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition.app/contents/Resources/

So like I said, to get from /Resources to the executable, you have to go one level up, to /contents, and then over and down into /MacOS.

your screen shows game version v2.2.66.0. This may explain the problem. It should be v2.3.67.3

There were differences in UTIL.LUA between patch 2.2 and patch 2.3. But why are still on old patch?

Is it possible I'm still on the older patch? GOG has its own weird patch versions, which are different from the official Beamdog numbering. It's possible I got confused. I'm downloading the most recent version now, will try again.

(Incidentally I'm really not liking the new MacOS. Better than Mavericks, to be sure, but problematic in lots of ways. I think I'm going to go back to using Mountain Lion...)

thanks, that's exactly what we needed. According to wiki Parent Directory on Unix systems is the same as in windows - double period. Please try following weidu code on BG2:EE and post here the printed message:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~../MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition~ BEGIN
    COPY ~../MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition~ ~../MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition~
        SPRINT log ~~
        PATCH_FOR_EACH text IN ~NITEDAY~ ~DAYNITE~ ~SPIN649~ ~SPIN822~ ~SOD~ ~Never Show Nuisance SOD~ ~Edition/sodsave~ ~usingSODStartMenu~ BEGIN
            COUNT_REGEXP_INSTANCES ~%text%~ num_matches
            PATCH_IF num_matches > 0 BEGIN
                SPRINT log ~%log%%text%: %num_matches%%LNL%~
            END
        END
    BUT_ONLY
    PRINT ~%log%~
END ELSE BEGIN
    PRINT ~'../MacOS/BaldursGateIIEnhancedEdition' doesn't exist~
END
Is it possible I'm still on the older patch?

definitely

Is it possible I'm still on the older patch? GOG has its own weird patch versions, which are different from the official Beamdog numbering. It's possible I got confused. I'm downloading the most recent version now, will try again.

GoG and their patch versions : I can tell you that, they never don't match :(

Example for BG1EE (current windows version) : setup_baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition_2.4.0.6.exe is v2.3.672 ingame (the former is the version of GoG's build, the later is the version of the game).

Example for BG2EE (current windows version) : setup_baldurs_gate2_enhanced_edition_2.4.0.6.exe is v2.3.672 ingame (the former is the version of GoG's build, the later is the version of the game).

Okay! Good news and bad news. I reverted to 10.8 Mountain Lion because Sierra was really annoying (e.g. somehow trackpad scrolling was all janky in some apps? Isn't that something that should get better over time, not worse??). And I downloaded BG2EE v2.3.67.3 from GOG. And I downloaded EET RC v7.1b from Github.

Result - successful installation on the first try, no error messges! :) And it put me in a menu with working buttons after the splash screens! :) BUT, there were still no graphics. :( The "choose campaign" button is available, but does not have any visual effect, it only dims the whole screen. After mousing around, I could see the campaign buttons highlight only when my mouse happened to be over them. I chose BG1 and successfully went through character generation. :) But, when I hit the "Venture forth" button, it crashed to desktop. :(

SEPARATELY: I wonder if I might make a suggestion, or perhaps a request. It has to do with the way EET keeps a bunch of .tp2 files in the EET/lib/ folder, and then copies them out to actually use them.

1) They are copied out to the game directory, instead of to the top-level EET mod directory. This clutters the game directory and contradicts current practice of keeping .tp2 files in the mod folders. Could you perhaps change this:

COPY + ~%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%~ ~setup-EET_core%exe%~
    ~EET/lib/EET_core.tp2~ ~EET_core.tp2~
... to this?

~EET/lib/EET_core.tp2~ ~EET/EET_core.tp2~

2) My "WeiDU Launcher" for Mac users looks for .tp2 files to identify mods. After EET copies the .tp2 files out of the EET/lib/ folder, there are now two copies of EET_core and EET_end and EET_gui, etc. So my app shows two of each, and it's not clear which is the correct one. Why are these files copied at all? Why no just leave them in the top-level EET mod folder (where EET.tp2 is) and run them from there?

Or, if the must be copied, how about using a different extension for the originals (.tpz or something) and only attaching the .tp2 extension to the final copy? So then the above code would look like this:

~EET/lib/EET_core.tpz~ ~EET/EET_core.tp2~
This would make my app very happy. :)

subtledoctor, what has been printed by this code?

Result - successful installation on the first try, no error messges! :) And it put me in a menu with working buttons after the splash screens! :) BUT, there were still no graphics. :( The "choose campaign" button is available, but does not have any visual effect, it only dims the whole screen. After mousing around, I could see the campaign buttons highlight only when my mouse happened to be over them. I chose BG1 and successfully went through character generation. :)

GUI art is handled by tileconv tool, some icons packed in PVRZ are installed via pre-made weidu function. Upload your SETUP-EET_CORE.DEBUG so we can see if those resources have been extracted correctly.

But, when I hit the "Venture forth" button, it crashed to desktop. :(

Can you view BG2600 in Near Infinity Area Viewer?

1) They are copied out to the game directory, instead of to the top-level EET mod directory. This clutters the game directory and contradicts current practice of keeping .tp2 files in the mod folders. Could you perhaps change this:
    ~EET/lib/EET_core.tp2~ ~EET_core.tp2~
... to this?
    ~EET/lib/EET_core.tp2~ ~EET/EET_core.tp2~

As far as I know in order to run tp2 from within the directory the tp2 file would need to have the same name as the directory. So no, EET/EET_core.tp2 is not possible. I don't think creating additional directories would make it less cluttered. Although it can be changed to "EET_core/EET_core.tp2" and "EET_gui/EET_gui.tp2" if that's what you want.

2) My "WeiDU Launcher" for Mac users looks for .tp2 files to identify mods. After EET copies the .tp2 files out of the EET/lib/ folder, there are now two copies of EET_core and EET_end and EET_gui, etc. So my app shows two of each, and it's not clear which is the correct one. Why are these files copied at all? Why no just leave them in the top-level EET mod folder (where EET.tp2 is) and run them from there?

Or, if the must be copied, how about using a different extension for the originals (.tpz or something) and only attaching the .tp2 extension to the final copy? So then the above code would look like this:

~EET/lib/EET_core.tpz~ ~EET/EET_core.tp2~

no problem with that but Mike's suggestion sounds reasonable. Don't remember which one but one of the mod from compatibility list had additional unused tp2 file in subdirectory, so your tool could still have problems in such situations.

Archived