wishlist

Avenger

There was an old wishlist somewhere on old teambg about what you want in GemRB.

This is a thread for the revival of that wishlist.

I expect modder type wishes, not player type one. :)

So, this is a feature request for the engine, not game content.

It is also not needed to ask for a feature in bg2 to implement for iwd2. (Like item description icons) because mixing the engine features are most likely already possible.

Write these types of requests only if you checked it is currently not possible.

...what about ability to read directly from MOZ and TIZ...? this would save a lot of space, seeing as the average modded BG2 install is now pushing 11GB...

might not be possible, as my programming knowledge is scant at best, but.. you know.

Well, png is lossless, tiz/moz use jpeg which is not lossless.

But of course, tiz/moz would be less problem to implement because they would retain the internal structure of tiles.

In other news, gemrb now supports png portraits. (and for pst, it also supports png bestiary pictures).

Am I to understand that you have got GemRB to use jpg with tix/mos? :(

If so:

when I save an image in jpg it gives me a lot of options, for instance the compression and chroma subsampling. since the .bmp format had to be saved at 64k colors what are/would be the restrictions on the jpg?

Am I to understand that you have got GemRB to use jpg with tix/mos? :(

If so:

when I save an image in jpg it gives me a lot of options, for instance the compression and chroma subsampling. since the .bmp format had to be saved at 64k colors what are/would be the restrictions on the jpg?

no, i don't know where you read that. It is still a question which way we go. It could be either or both or none of png/jpg. There are no tools that would compress individual tiles in png format, so the png way would be a single big picture.

About jpg restrictions i have absolutely no idea, and i don't really care as we would support the tiz format produced by tispacker. So any restriction put on the format would be done by tispacker.

Ah I see. I read that 5-10 times trying to figgure out what you said. :(

well Jpg can also save in lossless. however a good compermize is

encoding - standard

compression - 6

chroma subsampling - none (could also use up to default but you are in danger of seeing color bleeding). Just for anyones info

I cant see any loss at all at that set. It brings a 13.6 mb bmp down to a 2.86 mb.

then tispac can still be used at the avarage settings I would guess.

but being able to use jpg would kind of null the need of tispac. this was my thinking.

Would it be possible to call dialogF.tlk when needed in the "over the head" dialog.

For example, when a character says "HE is very whatever-you-want" about charname, when charname is a woman, it isn't really beautiful...

I know it doesn't matter in english version, but in the french one (and probably others, but that's my main language, so I'm sorry for my english), there are few examples.

Would it be possible to call dialogF.tlk when needed in the "over the head" dialog.

For example, when a character says "HE is very whatever-you-want" about charname, when charname is a woman, it isn't really beautiful...

I know it doesn't matter in english version, but in the french one (and probably others, but that's my main language, so I'm sorry for my english), there are few examples.

I don't even know how this stuff works ;)

dialogf is used when the protagonist is female?

What about iwd/iwd2 where there is a team of protagonists.

And what happens with the female NPC party members in other games?

That's it : dialogF.tlk is called when the character is female.

I don't know about iwd/iwd2 and PST, I don't play those games...

In BG2, this stuff is quite good managed... in fact it is the french translation which is ugly... the grammar is awful and completely out of context.

In BG1, the translation is good, but... this stuff is not very good... dialogF.tlk is called when the character who begin a dialog is female... no matter if charname is a man or not...

For example, if Imoen is the first to speak (because it's a "speak to the first person I see" dialog) and YOU are a man, thez dialog is feminist, even if the speech is for you...

At contrary, if Kivan begin the dialog, and you are female, the dialog will be for a man.

I hope it's clear (my english is very awful sometime).

I could make it so that it always uses the current talker's gender (even if the current talker is not a partymember), if that is the perfect way. Or i could make it so that it always uses the first character's (the protagonist's) gender. But i cannot imagine how that would work correctly :p

Archived