mossgerila's bug list

Hello

First,Congratulations for the BG2 Fixpack,an awesome and long expected accomplishment.

I will post a few bugs I found which aren't in the Pending list:

Rod of absorption's Spell deflection can't be brought down by Secret word/Pierce magic/Ruby ray of reversal/Spell strike.

The fire effect from Melf's Minute Meteors doesn't affect Kangaxx.

Ring of Gaxx and Protection from poison scrolls don't give immunity to the Green dragon's breath.

There are many effects non-dispelled by the Elemental Princes when they hit.

Chan's Whirlwinds don't work.

Ring of Air Control's improved invisibility can't be dispelled by True Sight if the Cloak of Non-Detection is worn.

Flail of ages +5/ Ixil's Spike +6 Free action can be improved hasted with the Ring of Gaxx and Bracers of blinding strike.

Shocking Grasp is capped at level 15,instead of 20.

The correct order in the description for Flail of Ages' elemental damages is:

-acid,fire,cold for FOA +3

-acid,fire,cold,poison/electricity for FOA +4

-acid,fire,cold,poison,electricity for FOA +5,as it's the order in which the damages (or immunities) appear on-screen.Very useful to determine monster's resistances.

I used a BG2+TOB game,with the official and Fixpack v1 patches.

Now,a few comments regarding the already implemented fixes:

It's possible that the producers intended to cap the Skull Trap at 15d6,as it was before the Fixpack,missing the correct description instead.

Now,going to 20d6 and with a damage close to Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting,but only at level 3,it's indeed unbalanced.It can't be capped at 10d6,because it has that range penalty comparative with the Fireball being harder to use.

The infinite Freedom scrolls at Adventurer's Mart has a chance to be planned also,as is a little inappropriate to have a beginner player being unable to free his long journeyed party from Kangaxx imprisonments.

Chant has a few problems.

Thanks everyone for this project and keep up the good work :p

Bug List #2 (edited 12.09)

Mirror image is always destroyed with Remove/Dispel Magic disregarding the level.

The Nymph from Call Woodland Beings has a male voice.

Casting Blindness/Feeblemind/Magic resistance will not turn a neutral creature hostile.

Although it looks like Bioware didn't considered MR useful on enemies (or it was just an oversight),is the only way to drop the magic resistance for priests and druids.I think that,considering its uses,to be regarded as non-hostile by neutrals is a little silly.

Vampiric Touch can be used on TAB-able things for healing (I noticed that it doesn't work on yourself anymore).

Strength is stackable 2 times to give 18/00 and lasts around 10 (not 1) turns/level.

All slings confer strength bonus (checked with Bag of Plenty +2).

Haste gives only one half attack/round,not a full one, to characters with # and a half attacks/round.

Teleport Field doesn't allow a save ,although the description says the opposite.(Yes,it's broken this way)

Death Fog only does 6 damage/round to party members,instead of the normal 8.

If a Project Image is used to ask for Limited Wish's note/armor/glasses/gems,it's possible to obtain them only if the image is attacked and killed (still,random stuff is dropped by the image when receiving Dao's items).A new player can lose the quest this way; I would suggest to go in leader's inventory (dropped if it's full).

The same,if a Project Image choose a wand/potion using Wish,the player will get them only if he kills the image.

Wish's Hardiness stacks with the normal Hardiness,making a fighter uber-powered.

"Breach on all enemies in the area" from Wish has effect on everyone in the area,also turning summons and neutrals hostile.

A more accurate description for Mirror Image is: "The spellcaster causes from two to eight exact duplicates of himself,equal with half of his level,to came into being around him."

Staff of Power's Globe of Invulnerability can't be brought down by Remove/Dispel magic.

Glyph of Warding.The part "Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area (...) each could be separately warded." from the text should be removed,as it's incorrect.

It's possible to put more glyphs in the same spot,like the Skull Trap spell,if it wasn't this spell would be the most useless in the game,as it allows a save for no damage.

Appropriate description for Minor Spell Turning: "This spell will only affect up to 7th level spells,etc" (not 4th).

I know that the discrepancy between the fact that it bounces 7th level spells and its description is considered a bug in the red list.

I think that the effect is correct and the producers intended to reflect only up to 4th initially,then switched to 7th and forgot the text,as no one would use it originally instead of the Minor Spell Deflection (which works as intended,the 7th level spells being mentioned in its original text).

Cheers, thanks for the new bug reports.

Rod of absorption's Spell deflection can't be brought down by Secret word/Pierce magic/Ruby ray of reversal/Spell strike.

This appears to be intentional.

Hmm. This might be due to the power setting on the item's fire damage effect--will check it out.

Ring of Gaxx and Protection from poison scrolls don't give immunity to the Green dragon's breath.

Yep, it's doing piercing damage--dunno why.

Which effects, specifically? Some effects, such as stuff from items, shouldn't be dispellable. Otherwise the elemental princes' attacks should be more or less equivalent to a dispel magic cast at level 20.

Chan has them in his creature file, but AFAICT he doesn't use them. Yan-C-Bin does, though--it appears to be naming confusion as they're actually a wing buffet/damage/sleep instead of the HLA whirlwind.

Ring of Air Control's improved invisibility can't be dispelled by True Sight if the Cloak of Non-Detection is worn.

Appears to be intentional as well. Cloak of Non-Detection makes any invisibility (or hiding in shadows) immune to true sight.

Updated the descripts in the GTU.

It's possible that the producers intended to cap the Skull Trap at 15d6,as it was before the Fixpack,missing the correct description instead.

Now,going to 20d6 and with a damage close to Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting,but only at level 3,it's indeed unbalanced.It can't be capped at 10d6,because it has that range penalty comparative with the Fireball being harder to use.

Good points; I think this is something we need to discuss. Bioware was usually pretty consistent in explicitly stating when spells get capped at levels lower then 20. Skull Trap's omission of a level cap is what prompted us to make the change in the first place.

The infinite Freedom scrolls at Adventurer's Mart has a chance to be planned also,as is a little inappropriate to have a beginner player being unable to free his long journeyed party from Kangaxx imprisonments.

Whoops, this is an error. We had reached the same conclusion and intended not to change this. Looking at the code, we are--will fix.

True Sight and the Magic Attack spells dispel by secondary type, and a bundle of effects called from an item hasn't any secondary type, so the spells won't be able to remove anything unless the items are altered to actually "cast Improved Invisibility" rather than "Mimic Improved Invisibility" and so forth.

This appears to be intentional.
We change the staff of the magi and the staff of power globes, though. I no longer do this locally, but if we say they should be dispellable there, then we might want to look at this (another custom spell; argh!).

Hmm. This might be due to the power setting on the item's fire damage effect--will check it out.
This doesn't bother me. Having the effects use Power 3 seems consistent with the fact that it's a Level 3 spell. Of course, I don't think they should be able to hit Kangaxx at all, so...

Which effects, specifically? Some effects, such as stuff from items, shouldn't be dispellable. Otherwise the elemental princes' attacks should be more or less equivalent to a dispel magic cast at level 20.
Maybe 'use caster level' doesn't work from items? I've changed them locally to 'use specific level' and used Level 20 for the princes and Level 25 for the devas and planetars.

Chan has them in his creature file, but AFAICT he doesn't use them. Yan-C-Bin does, though--it appears to be naming confusion as they're actually a wing buffet/damage/sleep instead of the HLA whirlwind.
Can't they still be cast manually by the player? Regardless, the spell looks like it should work fine.

Appears to be intentional as well. Cloak of Non-Detection makes any invisibility (or hiding in shadows) immune to true sight.
Yeah. It's pretty much the only place where non-detection does anything useful. It does protect against dispel invisibility, but as Nythrun points out, the visibility spells also remove all illusionary effects from the targets, making non-detection worthless 99% of the time (since it doesn't block the remove spell protections opcodes).

This is the way it's always supposed to work; the bug is that non-detection is pathetic.

Good points; I think this is something we need to discuss. Bioware was usually pretty consistent in explicitly stating when spells get capped at levels lower then 20. Skull Trap's omission of a level cap is what prompted us to make the change in the first place.
I checked, and my default skull trap already went out to Level 20? Otherwise, I'd be inclined to agree that it shouldn't do 120 damage (even with a Level 20 caster). (It looks like the only patch I have for SPWI313 is to correct the lowest-level header's range, so I don't think we're extending it.)

Whoops, this is an error. We had reached the same conclusion and intended not to change this. Looking at the code, we are--will fix.
Sim's revenge... :D

I added 3 more issues in the first post.

About the Ring of Air Control discussion-

Cloak of Non-detection prevent the invisibility from Hide in shadows,this ring and Staff of the magi to be dispelled by True sight.

Still,the word "burglar" is mentioned in cloak's description,which can be a powerful suggestion that Bioware intended that only HIS to be protected.

However,because all thieves use Staff of the Magi for scouting instead of HIS after Use Any Item,I think that its invisibility should be left protected and not changed,as it will be very annoying to be forced to always use HIS instead of the staff because of this.

I noticed some problems regarding Chant,as said in the first post,and looked upon it more closely:

(I used the fight with Tarnor the Hatchetman's party in the Temple District sewers,maybe it's a map thing.)

1.When cast by me:

-will work at any distance affecting my team,not only 30' radius

-the graphic upon enemies is missing

2.When cast by Tarnor:

-influences my party from any distance

Also it doesn't improve/worsen someone's THACO in either cases.

All other effects work normally.

Agreed, I already rework it (buggily) in my private adjustments.

Pen & Paper has it listed as doing 2d4 + 1d4/level of negative energy damage (ie. ineffective against undead), and does not mention a cap specifically - which usually means capped at level 20. Curiosity: it also says save vs. breath weapons for half damage.

Source: Wizard's Spell Compendium, page 824.

Sounds more balanced to me ... maxes out at 22D4 damage, which is very close to the 15D6 mentioned.

Skull Trap already goes to level 20 (10d6 + 10d6 save versus spells, matching the description) before Fixpack in my install too.

Fixpack does extend the range (listed in spell description as 20 yards) to 55 to match the level one ability (the rest had 15).

While in general, range in the spell description might as well be "range: broccoli" for all all the meaning it has, it's not possible to make the a.i. back away after casting this spell without piles of dumb scripting. Which renders the spell suicidal for enemies and annoying for the player...55 seems the way to go, but perhaps that's overly kind :p

I really don't think Bioware intended to coddle post Throne of Bhaal Use-Any-Item-abusing thieves who couldn't be bothered to sink points into Move Silently when they coded the Shadows of Amn Staff of the Magi ;)

I change ring28.itm and ring42.itm to cast Improved Invisibility (among other such), locally, to match the other item patches - "Casts Spell X" means "Casts Spell X" to me, not "Does Something Like Casting Spell X But Is Tantalizingly Different In Some Drastic Yet Obscure Ways" - depends how much stock's been placed in the description :)

Chant actually does affect THAC0, it just doesn't show up on the character record and it borks the extended feedback - so you have to hit something with a known AC and check the rolls to be sure. That part works, just in an annoying way.

/edit

And I had no idea how many mods were adding the spell to all and sundry with nothing but a best-faith hope that it worked :p

Fixpack does extend the range (listed in spell description as 20 yards) to 55 to match the level one ability (the rest had 15).
Really? I just changed the first to 15 to match the others. It is a pretty powerful spell...

Regardless, since it caps at Level 20 appropriately (and all the damages are actually correct!), I don't think it's something we'll change.

Added more bugs in the first post.

About the Skull Trap,I'm positive that it did 25 medium damage (saved) with the official/Baldurdash patches,casted by Edwin at level 30,and does like 35 with official/Fixpack ones.Horrid Wilting does around 45 when saved...

Elemental Princes' Dispel

I checked more throughly and it looks like they hit with a level 10 dispel,not 20.Quite odd,the princes dispel level 9 creatures very often and level 11 ones extremely rare (all spells).

Only the Mirror Image is killed no matter the level,the same as from the spells mentioned in the Bug list.

More issues in the original post.

I'll start recommending the Fixpack in GameFaqs forum this month instead of Baldurdash and I'm expecting to be criticized,there are some very good guys out there.

So I want it to be as good as possible :p

Edit: This is all for the time being,I will post if I find more.

CamDawg,maybe it's a little late,but I'd like to say Congratulations for the social event! :p

Flail of ages +5/ Ixil's Spike +6 Free action can be improved hasted with the Ring of Gaxx and Bracers of blinding strike.

The items that cast spells and the items that mimic them, chapter ACK(3,4).

Power issue. They do in my game :)

I'm inclined to think this intentional, since poison is not a fully supported damage type.

Shocking Grasp is capped at level 15,instead of 20.
It's capped at 20, and dispel magic is ladled up with sad redundant item removal effects to account for 20 of the 32 joy buzzers :(

Strength is stackable 2 times to give 18/00 and lasts around 10 (not 1) turns/level.
Wrong modifier type in the exceptional strength bonus, yes. Dunno if set works with this opcode though, guess we'll find out.

All slings confer strength bonus (checked with Bag of Plenty +2).
Bullets, bag, sorted :)

Haste gives only one half attack/round,not a full one, to characters with # and a half attacks/round.
Haste truncates, hardcoded. Adding an extra half attack to the spell would work (it'll be rounded away in the case of integer APR) but it'll also cause overflowing issues. Not fixable without a checkstat script, methinks.

Teleport Field doesn't allow a save ,although the description says the opposite.(Yes,it's broken this way)
I sided with the .spl here.

Death Fog only does 6 damage/round to party members,instead of the normal 8.
All of the damage issues reported in this thread are almost certainly due to testing versus party members on normal difficulty.

If a Project Image is used to ask for Limited Wish's note/armor/glasses/gems,it's possible to obtain them only if the image is attacked and killed (still,random stuff is dropped by the image when receiving Dao's items).A new player can lose the quest this way; I would suggest to go in leader's inventory (dropped if it's full).
Lame, easy dialogue patch. Project Image is a bug.

Wish's Hardiness stacks with the normal Hardiness,making a fighter uber-powered.
Can't have powerful fighters, can we - but that's another for the Nerfpack. Two different spells.

"Breach on all enemies in the area" from Wish has effect on everyone in the area,also turning summons and neutrals hostile.

The wish spells are a dreadful mess all around, yes.

Appropriate description for Minor Spell Turning: "This spell will only affect up to 7th level spells,etc" (not 4th).

I know that the discrepancy between the fact that it bounces 7th level spells and its description is considered a bug in the red list.

I think that the effect is correct and the producers intended to reflect only up to 4th initially,then switched to 7th and forgot the text,as no one would use it originally instead of the Minor Spell Deflection (which works as intended,the 7th level spells being mentioned in its original text).

I think they copied the effects from a different spell and forgot to update them, otherwise Minor Spell Turning would be the same as Spell Turning :)

Glyph of Warding.The part "Multiple glyphs cannot be cast on the same area (...) each could be separately warded." from the text should be removed,as it's incorrect.

It's possible to put more glyphs in the same spot,like the Skull Trap spell,if it wasn't this spell would be the most useless in the game,as it allows a save for no damage.

Sounds good to me :)

-acid,fire,cold for FOA +3

-acid,fire,cold,poison/electricity for FOA +4

-acid,fire,cold,poison,electricity for FOA +5,as it's the order in which the damages (or immunities) appear on-screen.Very useful to determine monster's resistances.

Sounds meta to me :(

Mirror image is always destroyed with Remove/Dispel Magic disregarding the level.
Intentional, and not changable.

Casting Blindness/Feeblemind/Magic resistance will not turn a neutral creature hostile.

Although it looks like Bioware didn't considered MR useful on enemies (or it was just an oversight),is the only way to drop the magic resistance for priests and druids.I think that,considering its uses,to be regarded as non-hostile by neutrals is a little silly.

One .pro and two hostility flags, or skip the .pro?

Vampiric Touch can be used on TAB-able things for healing (I noticed that it doesn't work on yourself anymore).
Can't change target types.

FoA +5 and Ixil's Spike +6 were not providing all of the effects of free action, notably haste immunity. This is fixed.

Wrong modifier type in the exceptional strength bonus, yes. Dunno if set works with this opcode though, guess we'll find out.

It does, and it's now fixed. The duration is correct at the listed one turn/level--perhaps you're confusing rounds with turns? One turn is ten rounds.

The same,if a Project Image choose a wand/potion using Wish,the player will get them only if he kills the image.

Fixed; the scroll always goes to the protagonist now.

devSin and Nythrun have already commented on a lot of these, so I'll try and address the remaining issues later.

Archived