Branwen Bug

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Blood Beast_*

Guest_Blood Beast_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:42 AM

Hi, Ladies and Gents, I don't know where this bug came from, but I am hoping you fine folks have seen something similar before.

Story is, when I first enter Nashkel Carnivals, Branwen's supposed to be a petrified statue waiting for a break, but what I discovered was a dead corpse lying on the ground,

I know I installed Branwen's Romance from BG1NPC, and I also gave Branwen a Cleric of Lathander Kit using Level One NPCs, so I uninstalled both components, and reloaded the game, re-enter Nashkel Carnival for the first time, and Branwen is still lying dead on the ground. My guess is maybe it's a global Variable, or a stateflag, but then I know nothing about modding.

All I know is that I am drop dead gorgeous(hee hee), but am I doomed to romance corpses for the rest of eternity?

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modders
  • 5770 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

:p Hey, this was funny.

I think I've heard of this bug, too. Try doing this: uninstall Lvl1 NPC Branwen component, then start a new game and if you want to romance her, set X#BrFriendTalk to 2 via console(um, long story, sorry - but it won't work without this one).

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modders
  • 4793 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:45 PM

set X#BrFriendTalk to 2 via console(um, long story, sorry - but it won't work without this one).

So is this an incompatibility between L1NPCs and BG1NPC that needs to be fixed or what?
Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -Terry Pratchett

#4 Guest_Blood Beast_*

Guest_Blood Beast_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

Instead of restarting the game, I summoned Branwen's statue with

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("branwe")

, revived her, but her dialog gets all messed up,

#5 Nythrun

Nythrun

Long since out to pasture

• Modders
  • 1761 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:00 PM

I've seen this reported from installs without any Level One NPCs, and not seen it when I tested it myself.

I'll add some more safeguards to the dialogue patch in any case, but if you're getting errors in an area you've never before visited after uninstalling this mod, it's not us.

If there's a WeiDU log handy, feel free to post it - if not, I'll see what I can do blindly.

/edit

I ought probably emphasize that I do not have the BGT and have done no testing on that platform :p

Edited by Nythrun, 24 November 2007 - 02:01 PM.

"You tell lies, too."
"Not I." The witch laughed; her laughter was clear and yet unpleasant. "I used to as a child, I confess. But I soon found the truth more disconcerting."

#6 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Modders
  • 556 posts
  • Location:New York City (via Nairobi, Kenya {via Orlando [via ... 0_o] })

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

If BGT testing is needed, I can handle that.

#7 Guest_Blood Beast_*

Guest_Blood Beast_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Just let me test it again, :p , I will let you know how it goes.

#8 cmorgan

cmorgan

journeyman investigator

• Gibberlings
  • 7097 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

We have back posts on this, including a savegame from Kulyok, but neither Nythrun nor I were able to replicate the behavior (and neither mod messes with the state flags set on the in-game unjoined .cre, as far as I can tell).

Could you please send me your WeiDU.log and the savegame before entering the area and after discovering the corpse, either .zip or .rar format, to svowles at comcast dot net?

That way I can take another look, and compare versus Kulyok's and the other person's saves.

Edited by cmorgan, 26 November 2007 - 04:45 PM.

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by. - Douglas Adams

#9 Guest_Blood Beast_*

Guest_Blood Beast_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Sorry chum, I wasn't thinking, I have uninstalled a few mods, and so am still trying to find time to play test the game, I will let you know if I come across that bug again.

#10 MishiSings

MishiSings
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

7 years down the line, people are still encountering this bug... I'll post my partial solution for posterity.

I didn't fix the dead branwen bug itself, but I fixed the scrambled dialogue. I did this by first copying the content of Branwen's .dlg file from Baldur's Gate to her Baldur's Gate Tutu .dlg file via the Infinity Engine Dialogue Workshop. This resulted in a crash when I talked to Branwen after using the console to create a non-dead copy of her statue.

Then I just copypasted Branwen's .dlg file from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate Tutu and the dialogue was fixed!

I'm not a modder, so I don't understand why this worked. It just worked.

EDIT: but I'm still not sure how to get her romance to trigger. I set X#BrFriendTalk to 2 using Shadowkeeper, and added a whole other bunch of global variables that looked like they'd do something, but I dunno if it's working.

Edited by MishiSings, 14 October 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modders
  • 4793 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

Since we never got one despite two requests, can you post the contents of your WeiDU.log in [ SPOILER] [ /SPOILER] tags, please? Also, if you've installed Level 1 NPCs, please post the contents of your SETUP-LEVEL1NPCS.DEBUG file similarly. If you've since uninstalled/reinstalled it, please try to reinstall it with the settings you used when you encountered the bug before posting the contents. Based on the above posts, I suspect this is an old BG1 NPC Project issue that has little (if anything) to do with L1NPCs but it's hard to be sure without more data.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." -Terry Pratchett

#12 MishiSings

MishiSings
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

Sure. How do I find the contents of my WeiDU.log?

Nevermind, I think I figured it out.

Spoiler

Upon further testing, Branwen's banters with other NPCs are fine, but I don't think her romance is working at all.

EDIT: To be clear, I don't have Lvl One NPCs installed and never did, so this bug definitely has nothing to do with Lvl One NPCs.

EDIT EDIT: Also, I don't know if this helps, but I think there might be a time factor involved. When I picked up the game again I wanted to be sure I would be able to pick up Branwen, but I had gotten this bug in previous playthroughs, so before I played the game for real I sped through the first chapter and went straight to the Nashkel Carnival. I did this twice and I had no problems.

When I encountered the bug in my real playthrough I reloaded to an early save and sped through it again and still got the bug.

So the bug appearing might have something to do with the interval of time in between starting a new game and arriving at the carnival. It was close to three months real time in between me starting that game and getting to the carnival.

Edited by MishiSings, 16 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users