Block passage

15 replies to this topic

#1 Salk

Salk
  • Modders
  • 2880 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

Hello!

It always bothered me that in BG1  there is no real need of the password to access the Thieves' Guild. The "guards" that should protect the four entrances are not an obstacle and are just practically saying to go away without doing anything about it.

To change things I tweaked the dialogue and I moved them so that each stands before the entrance he should guard but even so, I can click on the exit and the guard is "pushed aside", making its presence there useless.

I know that if the guard's allegiance is "ENEMY" then walking past him is no longer possible but I cannot choose this solution. The guard should remain neutral.

Has anybody got some idea about how to make it impossible for the player to walk past the guard?

Thanks!

Edited by Salk, 27 February 2017 - 04:10 AM.

#2 kreso

kreso
  • Modders
  • 2624 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:50 AM

Lock the doors, and when you speak to a guard let him open it for you.

#3 Salk

Salk
  • Modders
  • 2880 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

Lock the doors, and when you speak to a guard let him open it for you.

If only it was that easy.

There are no doors, just a passage.

Edited by Salk, 27 February 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#4 argent77

argent77
  • Modders
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:24 AM

I don't think these doors can be closed at all.

You can enable or disable the travel region to the Guild HQ instead (via TriggerActivation()). Additionally you could add an invisible door to block the passage more effectively. DLTCEP offers some functionality in that regard (look for vertices and impeded blocks in the Doors tab).

#5 Salk

Salk
  • Modders
  • 2880 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

I don't think these doors can be closed at all.

You can enable or disable the travel region to the Guild HQ instead (via TriggerActivation()). Additionally you could add an invisible door to block the passage more effectively. DLTCEP offers some functionality in that regard (look for vertices and impeded blocks in the Doors tab).

Thanks!

TriggerActivation() sounds promising but when I gave it a try it did not produce any result (meaning the exit is still there).

Do you see anything wrong with this simple code?

IF
    Global("SaidPassword","Global",0)
    Global("Entrance1","AR7248",0)
THEN
       RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("Entrance1","AR7248",1)
        TriggerActivation("Door7800",FALSE)
END

I even set the Flag "Trigger Deactivated" for Door7800 using NI but still same result.

Edited by Salk, 27 February 2017 - 06:59 AM.

#6 Azoth

Azoth
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

I think u need to deactivate the Travel Trigger, for example "Tran0305".

TriggerActivation("Tran0305",FALSE)

Edited by Azoth, 27 February 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#7 Avenger

Avenger
  • Modders
  • 3694 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:15 AM

In EE, there is a flag to turn on and off the bumping of npcs. This method has pro's and con's. Pro: realistic. Con: you can bypass it by killing the guards, or drawing them away, and the engine will never be sure or control which state the exit is in. 

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6127 posts
  • Location:The town where the dead haven't keeled over, yet. In Finland.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

This is why the area scripts should hold the trigger, not the guards... the "guards" are thieves after all and any lawful good character should be able to kill every darn one of them without a remorse.
Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#9 DavidW

DavidW
  • Gibberlings
  • 4311 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

This is why the area scripts should hold the trigger, not the guards... the "guards" are thieves after all and any lawful good character should be able to kill every darn one of them without a remorse.

Wouldn't that be against the law?

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6127 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:09 PM

Wouldn't that be against the law?

Nope. Belt didn't say ever say he wants to keep them alive, then that's the law. For example, they sell stolen stuff... probably from the citizens of the city. In which category, the normal people are not actually part of. As they don't bring good functionality for the city. Even if they would pay taxes, that's not counted as part of it because they can be seen as slaves.
I am not saying the old system was good, it was horrible, horrible, but that's the reference you need to look this stuff at.
Welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand.
Here's how to install all the ... mods you ever really could want to Infinity Engine games. I removed the stable word from there as Roxanne began to add BS mods that are likely to break compatibility from the BWS.

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Gibberlings
  • 6819 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

Lawful good doesn't mean going around and slaughtering evil persons. Not unless they did something worth being killed for. That's the tricky part about staying lawful good, and not falling.

#12 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp

• Modders
  • 6127 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Lawful good doesn't mean going around and slaughtering evil persons. Not unless they did something worth being killed for.

So all those goblins you kill, have done something evil... have they or have they just live'd, see the "live" and "evil" is the same letters just arranged the other way around. Ah yeah, so that stuff is only for the heroes.
Racist, I say you are. -Joda.
And being Lawful, and Good. It means, in these games, that you must obey the law of the kingdoms, trying to prevent unlawful things in them, is a question of integrity, and how deep you wish to go at it, normal people usually can't get too deep. And you promote the "ideals" of the "good races", human, elf, dwarf, halfling, and gnome. That's that.

Let's get back to topic.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 February 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#13 Grammarsalad

Grammarsalad
  • Modders
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

...Actually, yeah, it is a form of racism, not to mention colonialism, and religionism.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/23
( Kant is misrepresented somewhat in this, but otherwise, yeah)

#14 Roxanne

Roxanne
  • Modders
  • 1499 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:47 PM

On the topic

This is the right way to do it, but

IF

Global("SaidPassword","Global",0)
    Global("Entrance1","AR7248",0)
THEN
       RESPONSE
        SetGlobal("Entrance1","AR7248",1)
        TriggerActivation("Door7800",FALSE) //You simply took the wrong door (this is the way out to town), just take the other one of the trigger areas, it is called Door0153 in vanilla game, may be different in BGT
END

And then you need to do it for the other areas leading to the thieves as well.

Edited by Roxanne, 27 February 2017 - 02:51 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#15 Salk

Salk
  • Modders
  • 2880 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

Roxanne,

you are right!

Thanks for making me notice and for staying on topic! :)

I was deactivating the exit to Baldur's Gate. It should be Door7253.

Edited by Salk, 27 February 2017 - 08:43 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users