Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

I don't know if it's something that I'm doing wrong, or if it's just vanilla behavior, but one thing that's always irked me in BG1 (BGEE) is when meeting Shar-Teel. She challenges you to a duel, saying she'll only fight men and only warriors. But my Fighter/Druid doesn't seem to qualify, and I always have to send Khalid in. Is there a way to make Fighter/X multi-classes qualify to fight her? Minor thing, I know, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Ser Elryk
  • Goddamn Cromwell shouldn't goddamn take a whole goddamn day to goddamn forge his goddamn stuff.

COPY_EXISTING cromwell.bcs override
  DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~RestParty\(Ex\)?(.*)[%WNL%%LNL%%MNL%%TAB% ]+AdvanceTime(.+)~ ~~
  END
BUT_ONLY

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME cutskip2.bcs BEGIN // if pre-EE v2.0
  COPY_EXISTING cutskip2.bcs override
    DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~ActionOverride("wsmith01",Face(\(SE\|14\)))[%WNL%%LNL%%MNL%%TAB% ]+RestParty\(Ex\)?(.*)[%WNL%%LNL%%MNL%%TAB% ]+AdvanceTime(.+)~ ~ActionOverride("wsmith01",Face(SE))~
    END
  BUT_ONLY
END

Another one from my own "Made in Heaven" modding project that might be interesting: Cap the number of charges that items with charges have to a value specified by the user.

(I found that setting a cap of 10 or 12 makes for an interesting challenge, especially in BG1.)

Here is my code for it (the chosen maximum is supposed to be in charge_cap):

https://github.com/AngelGryph/MadeInHeaven/blob/development/mih/components/cap_item_charges.tpa

Yeah, Tweaks will not be taking on Level 1 NPCs--it's a good, stand-alone mod and will remain that way.

What might actually make more sense is to fold in NPC_EE. That mod is more of a simple tweak: just adds an innate spell to every joinable NPC that lets them switch to any other kit within their class.

But that's more an observation than a suggestion.

Edited by subtledoctor

I don't know if it's something that I'm doing wrong, or if it's just vanilla behavior, but one thing that's always irked me in BG1 (BGEE) is when meeting Shar-Teel. She challenges you to a duel, saying she'll only fight men and only warriors. But my Fighter/Druid doesn't seem to qualify, and I always have to send Khalid in. Is there a way to make Fighter/X multi-classes qualify to fight her? Minor thing, I know, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Shar-Teel's script uses the StrongestOfMale() identifier, so this is hard coded. Not sure what it actually uses to determine who is the strongest, but if it's a simple level check, single-class Khalid is probably going to have a higher fighter level than your multi-class fighter-druid.

Perhaps she could be given an alternative dialog/script that lets the player pick who gets to fight her, similar to the arena battles in the drow city in BG2.

Edited by Angel

There is a need for one more universal weapon - crossbows. After all, that weapon was created to be as idiot-proof as clubs.

And the good thing is, the mod already exists! https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/691304#Comment_691304 by subtledoctor

I used it in every game for some time now and never came across any bug. It is a part of "Drake NPC" mod but also exist as a stand-alone mod.

May be it makes sense to add it to the Tweaks Anthology?

There is a need for one more universal weapon - crossbows. After all, that weapon was created to be as idiot-proof as clubs.

A GM friend of mine had that as a house rule (yes, the same one who had mages using bucklers). I had it as a mod of my own for a while but I lost the code. Never had any problems with it though.

Crossbow might be easy looking, but try to use an actual Combat Crossbow today, and tell me it's simple, say Stryker Strykezone 380(google's throw away), including it's maintenance.

K, if you aren't proficient, then yes, we could as well break the weapon from the very first strike, hit or miss... doesn't matter. Fair, that too.

Thanks for the nod, but you might find that my code for universal crossbows looks... extremely similar to the Tweaks code for universal clubs. ;)

:) One more reason to add it to the Tweaks!

(And sorry,Jarno Mikkola, modern weapon does not count. In time, crossbows were a revolution in warfare in terms of skill vs numbers)

Yeah, you are talking about the heavy crossbow, that was enhanced via a pull mechanism to become the arbalest. Not the light crossbow...

And now let's look at the description of crossbows :)

The traditional bow and arrow had long been a specialized weapon that required a considerable training, physical strength, and expertise to operate with any degree of efficiency. In many cultures, bowmen were considered a separate and superior caste, despite usually being drawn from the common class, as their archery skill-set was essentially developed from birth (similar to many horseman cultures) and was impossible to reproduce outside a pre-established cultural tradition, which many nations lacked. In contrast, the crossbow was the first projectile weapon to be simple, cheap, and physically undemanding enough to be operated by large numbers of conscript soldiers, thus enabling virtually any nation to field a potent force of ranged crossbowmen with little expense beyond the cost of the weapons themselves.

Exactly what I was saying and the reason behind asking for the mod.

I'd say, if mage can learn how to throw a dagger or use a dagger in melee, mage should be capable to learn how to use crossbow (and take care of the weapon). After all, mages are about intellect and learning, aren't they?