Discussion: Multiple BG2 Installations

Bren: Yeah, thats a good method, but we dont all have 250gb HDDs. We're trying to use as little space as possible for each install (well, I am a least).

A bit of topic for one minute - The prices have come down drastically and it is well worth investing in one of the larger gig harddrives. Tech TV's site has more info on the best ones, installing them, etc. You can also check pricewatch.com for latest prices and availability. TTYL

A found slighty NI weird issue. It looks as if NI can't read a BG2 balder.gam correctly, odd. It also says it cannot determine the game type (ie BG2:SoA or BG2:ToB etc) which could be related.

It also looks possible to change the locaton (and name) of the baldur.ini file, 0x00706f98, and the keymap.ini file, 0x0072a1b4. And the chiten.key. Maybe. But then your starting to get silly, imo.

Anyway, while we're in the .exe it may be possible to remove boo (search for misc84), and edwins amulet (search for misc89).

I know this is really getting off topic, sorry.

If you check boo's movable flag (misc84), and then alter the .exe and blank out the minsc/boo references.

0x00729054 = can move boo once, subsequent tries get the normal message + squeek

0x007290A0 = normal behaviour

0x00729138 = normal behaviour

0x00759780 = normal behaviour

Blank out all, and boo acts as a normal item (no sound, or message, movable multiple times.

Not sure how useful this is. It may be possible to use the reference to alora to create your own immovable, custom message, custom sound item.

Maybe.

Back on topic, maybe.

It's possible to set 2 or more places for the game to look for files for each ... place (e.g. cd2, cd3). I think. At least, in all my bg2 installs, the cd2 entry in baldur.ini is always C:\bg2\cd2;C:\bg2\cd2 or something. So, it may be possible to set a minimal installaion to look in the main installations override, and also in an override in the local dir.

Maybe.

I guess I should try it. Tomorrow. The game may just get confused.

Well, multiple overrides was a failure :D It appears that using ; to separate paths to look for game-files doesnt really work.

Also, Atomic Speed Fighting was also a failure, the option didnt see to do anything :D

ThHeres a reference to Force Pause All Dialog (or some such name) in the .exe, is this an option in the game anywhere? I havent tried it, and I dont recall any non-pausing dialogs in the game, and I am too.. busy.. to make one.

When installing weidu mods, its usually necessary to have Default.bif and Scripts.bif in the \data directory (else it wont compile scripts when installing).

I haven't had this problem. I think having all the ids files in the override helps.

A found slighty NI weird issue. It looks as if NI can't read a BG2 balder.gam correctly, odd. It also says it cannot determine the game type (ie BG2:SoA or BG2:ToB etc) which could be related.

It wasn't the installation method causing this issue. I have no idea why this was happening but it was nothing to do with my multiple installations.

I read someone that weidu removes duplicates when it creates a new biff. So, you could in theory, use weidu to make a new biff of the override directory, and place that biff in the main \data directory. Then each clone wont need the default files from the override directory, making an even smaller installation.

NB. Some files are *required* to be in the override directory, else the game refuses to load.

A question: If you use Bren's method:

Base installation: A Manual full install SoA, a full install of ToB, Official Patch-(latest release), Baldurdash fixes-(latest release). Then configure how you like, tweak baldur.ini if desired, and add any portraits, scripts, characters, etc. to the appropriate folders. (Bioware has instructions on thier site for doing a full manual install if you are having problems getting it to work on WinXP - http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows_amn/s.../known_issues/)

Game path: C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BG II - SoA. I made multiple copies of the main BG II - SoA folder. I have in the Black Isle folder now BG II - SoA, Original BG II - SoA, TDD BG II - SoA, TS BG II - SoA, and several others for the romance mods I'm beta testing. All I have to do is rename two folders to install/test a new mod or to switch games. This has worked for me without any complications. Haven't had to reinstall the game in a long time and if a mod messes up the game, I just delete that folder. Make more copies of the main installation as needed. About your post above - I'm glad to see a tool that will create multiple installations is being considered.

Will it work, if you have a large HD? Will you be able to use NI, DLTCEP, SK and other modding-progams?

It will work, remember to alter baldur.ini accordingly and to use bgmain.exe to run the game NOT baldur.exe. NI and DLTCEP will work, I think SK will work but I never use it so I'm not sure.

Archived