Easiest way to install BG1 NPC Project possible please/Vista

Taitiana

*Sighs* It hasn't been a good day for me. I'm a Baldur's Gate first-timer and the only mod I want is the NPC Project one...but I can't even install it. Well, I get to 'Required Modifications' in the console and then it errors because it wants to be installed in the BG2/Tutu/Easytutu/BGT directory after it's been converted and the only way to explain my response is 'WTF's THIS?'.

Okay, I tried. Tutu first. But then it wanted the latest update. So I tried to update but the address wasn't found so I had to find the patch elsewhere. Installed it, but didn't work. (By now I have the two games in C:Program files and then C:Program files (x86) because the game simply doesn't work when it's not in x86 but Tutu/Npc Project wants to be in the original program files...)

Where Tutu says the official update is, I can't get to...FTP.interplay.com is the first bit of it. Try it, and you'll understand (made a account on interplay but doesn't work there.)

You can ignore all the above if you want, if you know the easiest way possible to install it for a Vista user (all I want is NPC Project but it wants Tutu/one of the other mods above...) IE which of the mods (BGT, tutu, easytutu) should I put in/and where I find the freakin' directory for tutu/etc to install it in since I can't find it.

Sorry for the noob anguish, but it's really depressing. Spent half of the last day of a long weekend on it...so far.

You can ignore all the above if you want, if you know the easiest way possible to install it for a Vista user (all I want is NPC Project but it wants Tutu/one of the other mods above...) IE which of the mods (BGT, tutu, easytutu) should I put in/and where I find the freakin' directory for tutu/etc to install it in since I can't find it.

Okay. Uninstall BG1 and BG2 if they're installed.

Make a full installation of BG1 (customize and check all boxes, tell the installer that you do have enough disk space) to C:\Games\BG1 or a similar folder. It's important that you don't install it to Program Files. If you have TotSC, install it as well. Then, grab the latest patch for your region from here: Baldur's Gate 1.1.4315 Patch if you don't have TotSC, or Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast Patch (5512) if you do, then install it. Do NOT get either DirectX 8 patch.

Now, make a full installation of BG2 to C:\Games\BG2 or a similar folder. It's important that you don't install it to Program Files. If you have ToB, install it as well. Then, grab the latest patch for your region from here: Baldur's Gate II Official Patch if you don't have ToB, or Throne of Bhaal Official Patch (26498) if you do, then install it. Do NOT get the Throne of Bhaal BETA Patch 26499.

You should have working installations of BG1 and BG2 now. If your goal is to just play BG1 with the BG1NPC project, EasyTutu is the simplest platform for you. More information about EasyTutu and download links are available here. If you have the disk space, I'd recommend the normal installation - it will preserve your BG1 and BG2 directories as they are and create an alternate installation for Tutu. The installer should automatically detect the paths to your BG1 and BG2 installations, and ask you where you want to install Tutu. Again, direct it somewhere outside of Program Files.

Once that's all done, you can grab the BG1NPC project and any other mods you'd like to use and install them to your Tutu folder. Run the game with the Tutu shortcuts created or by launching bgmain.exe in the Tutu folder.

Mike1072 beat me to it!

Follow his his advice, but I'd add:

I would add to Mike1072's list

1. turn off UAC

2. install as an administrator

3. After you have installed, check the permissions on the actual game folders (on Win7x64, I had to manually ask the darned folder to grant full permission to all subfolders in order for things not to be a PITA. Vista is just about the same level of annoying. They are doing it for our protection, but still - bleh.)

This thread has a full rundown of Tutu/EasyTutu;

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

should help you with additional details.

Hopefully someone will prod BioWare to let them know they have no patch up at InterPlay and BioWare - I ran out of time before checking EAGames.

If you are using a non-english-language or european version, you can get the patches from FilePlanet or some other gaming sites - http://www.fileplanet.com/40867/0/0/1/1/section/Patches temporarily - I don't thinks Sorceror's has those

if you want the standard "Final Talse of the Sword Coast Patch" and the "final (NOT the beta - this is the non-flaky one that counts in the community as final) I have put them up on the G3 server. You can get them here (I will have to do some more messing about with other pages later on if we decide to mirror it, but my hope is that BioWare gets its act together and rebuilds those pages with content. My bet is that we are just seeing things in progress, and they will eventually put those up. Kevin Lynch is a dude who has shadowed the Bg/BG2 gaming community for a good while now, he might be a good person to contact on BioWare Social network, if someone has the time to nudge them...)

for the English ones, here is a new G3 link:

BGTalesUS5512.exe

BGII-ThroneofBhaal_Patch_26498_ENGLISH.exe

Everything went ridiculously smooth (thanks for the additional information-it definitely helped, though the problem isn't as complicated as I previously saw it to be...still feel foolish though)!

Had a little problem while installing Easytutu but managed to avoid/fix it-

And the game is finally working+with Tutu!

Now...for the Npc Project...

Ack.

Nevermind. Of course, I'm still having trouble. Now it's trouble finding the correct folder for the installation bit. It wants to be installed in the Easytutu Bg converted folder. And also where the file 'dialog.tlk' is located so that limits the places to Bg1/Bg2...and my C: directory for some reason....

Wait...oh %&*#@...whatever word that I just cussed...

The error that's been assaulting me for hours as been fixed since I put the mod in the C: directory. Now I know I screwed up something but heck, it works. But...*Bangs head against table* God, that was awful.

Glad it is working! To check, browse to c:\ and find your EasyTutu directory, whatever it is named, and look inside that folder. You should see a whole bunch of stuff, including a file named "weidu" (actually weidu.log, but the .log part is probably hidden from you on Vista). It can be opened with Notepad or any other text editor. Open it up and see what it says.

(if you get tired of that, you can also use the search function to look for weidu.log on your c:\ drive, if that seems easier.)

If everything went well, you will have entries for BG1NPC.

Hmm, you didn't quite follow me but that's alright.

Anyhow the game is awesome so far, abetting the green water (know how to fix it anyhow)...and that it keeps crashing each time I try to right click on a item in my backpack. Or usually-saw the information once or twice for a item. But that's probably a problem of Easytutu that could be fixed by Tutufix.

Regardless, thanks a whole lot for helping me be able to play Bg1 with Tutu+the Npc Project!

it keeps crashing each time I try to right click on a item in my backpack. Or usually-saw the information once or twice for a item.
That's usually a video card issue. Try turning down Hardware Acceleration a notch or two (buried somewhere like Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting) or try some of things in this post.
it keeps crashing each time I try to right click on a item in my backpack. Or usually-saw the information once or twice for a item.
That's usually a video card issue. Try turning down Hardware Acceleration a notch or two (buried somewhere like Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting) or try some of things in this post.

Oh, wasn't expecting more help! (I really needed it anyhow.) I hadn't considered the possibility of it having to do with my video card...but it seems actually likely, and if it's fixable, well, I'd be happy.

Though there have been some tiny problems since I last posted, and then another two with crashing.

1. When bandits die they glitch out+when I try to loot them the game crashes.

2. When I kill a skeleton...the game crashes.

Hopefully someone will prod BioWare to let them know they have no patch up at InterPlay and BioWare - I ran out of time before checking EAGames.
They still have them, you just got to use a archived net site to see the text... like these:
2.3 Install the official game patches.

And those are, with links to saved original site info, which provide direct download links to local(US/UK/International) patches that still work:

Baldur's Gate; the v1.1.4315, without the DirectX 8+ patch, cause those are betas!

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast; the v(1.3.)5512 without the DirectX 8+ patch, and even though the link says not to patch the Original Saga version, it needs to be patched to gain the most compatible version of the game.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn; the 23037.

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal; the v(2.5.)26498... DO NOT use the 26499!

So the download links to the patches still work.

OH GOD, WHY?! #$%*@&*!@! (Again, dunno what cuss word I used there.)

Nevermind guys! I know what screwed up. Actually, no. But the component, yeah.

I reinstalled Easytutu and the bit where it said it was patching did not freeze up like last time (it went on for a hour so I had to forcibly stop it-the game worked though). It smoothly installed and then everything was...beautiful. The portraits aren't all screwed up like last game, and I killed a skeleton and the game did not blow up...

I still don't understand why installed Tutu the same way suddenly went smoothly-but I guess the matter does not need to be revisited.

Need to go thank the person who told me to reinstall.

sorry to hijack this post, but I did the installation exactly as mentioned but ng1npc keeps quitting before all components can be installed. banter was installed seemingly complete, but when in the game, emoen will interject with no text, and the game freezes. What do think the problem is? i have a min install of just the tutufix and bg1npc. Full install of bg1+expansion and bg2+expansion. normal install of tutu. all three installed outside of program files. Thanks in advance. Oh, this might possibly be important, I applied the nocd crack to bg2 ToB before doing tutu.

Archived