How to defeat the first Balor that I have found in the Underdark?

frostysh

So my party have found the first Balor (not a summoned one like I saw before, but a true and dangerous one) while I managing to resolve the dungarees-village problem.

My party is something near 15th-16th levels. And I have only one weapon that can do damage to a'cursed demon - "Daystar" - Long Sword which is +4 against evil creatures. This blade holds my Sun Soul Monk, with no proficiencies with it.

The spells that left from clearing the area from an evil crazy elves and some kind of bandit lizard-like creature includes powerful anti-magic such as "Pierce Shield" x2, "Pierce Magic" x1, the lot of "Breach", "Spell Thrust" and so on...

So what is the problem say you will? I am saying that the problem there are big. The problem because a'cursed Balor have a LOT of annoying abilities which including: Anti-magic (lot of "Remove Magic"), Self-protection magic ("Stoneskin"), Teleport (always focusing with it my low hp characters - tp, then hit = reloading...), Flame Circle that surrounds demon (10 dmg to Balor = ~20 dmg to damage dealer... in close combat), The Hell not bad Magic Resistance

All of my party range weapons is useless, almost all of my magic is useless (I tried "Pierce Shield" + "Contagion" which was successful but how to do damage after it, I do not know...). In close combat this moron can easily hit my ~ -15 AC Shapeshifter, to addition this a demon have a LARGE attack range, that making almost impossible the "hit-and-run" without getting the counter-strike tactics by Monk.

So is there anybody knows a weaknesses of this creature? I do not want to change my spell arsenal and rest two times special for defeating of this moronic overpowered bat-wingy NPC... :( .

thanx for the answers.

P.S. SCS (hardest setting), Tactics for EE, Insane difficulty.

P.S.S Is There anybody know how is the size (MB) of patch from 1.3.64 to 2.1 BG2:EE. I want this "Legacy of Bhaal" difficulty! :p

I am not exactly well-versed in how SCS functions, but can't you remove his Stoneskin and Fire Shield with a Breach spell?

"Stoneskin" is not a problem, it is a casual pre-casting protective magic in almost all creatures with SCS+Tactics, I can easily remove it because my party have a LOT of anti-magic, of course the moronic creature will cast upon it again but I will remove it again.

There are not a casual "Fire Shield" - which is a commonly used too by almost all of the creatures, that is a new kind of a powerful fire aura protection and this stupid circle of fire cannot be removed by any anti-magic that I have . I tried combo of: "Pierce Shield" x2, "Pierce Magic" x1, "Breach" x2, "Remove Magic" x3, "Spell Thrust" x1 - the creature's fire aura is hell do not care about...

Perhaps I deleted other protectives, but I have doubts about that... Compare to this Balor , mad Jonny in the Asylum was like a walking through park under the sun-shining skies...

Also my party have some summons like a "Mordenkainen's Sword" - but they all is useless against the creature, after ~ 10 reloads the only once I saw when when that wicked mordekaines sword successful dealed damage to the Balor, after this happens the sword died instantly, perhaps because of Balor attack ability of instant death of the victim.

Good that "Balor's Fire Shield" does not applying protection from the insects, like a "Creeping Doom" - but anywa' this spell is almost useless too.

I feel I need to rest my party and manage a special spells against that creature, perhaps I wll block the way with "Otiluke's Resilient Sphere" and then "Pierce Shield" + "Doom"/"Creeping Doom"/"Miscast Magic" + "Greater Malison" and then AoE, AoE, AoE... Damn I need little bit more of "Otiluke's Sphere.." remembered.

How about something like:

- spell of fire resistance

- potion of fire resistance

- ring of fire resistance

- all sorts of fire resistance

- death ward

- stoneskin

- protection from magic weapons

- spell immunity: abjuration

- tenser's transformation

- whale on the dude til he dies

Also do you have a cleric? There is a high-level cleric spell that hurts demons, holy bolt or something. I think it bypasses MR.

You don't defeat first Balor, he defeats you.

On a more serious matter, what subtledoctor said. Fire res, Improved Haste, Death ward, split your party so one Remove magic doesn't hit you all. Bash until it dies.

Balor's fireshield can't be removed by anything other than killing him.

P.S.S Is There anybody know how is the size (MB) of patch from 1.3.64 to 2.1 BG2:EE. I want this "Legacy of Bhaal" difficulty! :p

100 000 000 MB. heheheh

You on steam? Don't patch, reinstall the game instead, DragonSpear of aVENGER is integrated in the main game.

well...on LoB difficulty training rats battle in Candlekeep is more epic than Epic Divine Encounter.

I tried few time yeasterday (party was without the rest and without rebuilding my protagonist's universal spell arsenal), with zero success. But today is the day!

subtledoctor:

You really does not understood the situation. SUN SOUL MONK - Rashaad, AC -8, THACO - do not remember exactly, the only ONE person in the party that can successfully hit the moron with "Daystar - Long Sword equipped, of course Rashaad has no proficiencies with it... :(.

What a fool will fight against horned moron under "Meteor Shower" that he made right before the battle?! - The party will be dead after 2-4 rounds regardless of the all "Protections From Fire", etc (do not forgot that Balor using "Romove Magic" sequencers, and about 200% damage from the monsters under Insane difficulty)... "Meteor Shower" can be easily avoided by monk.

Ah yeah! Perhaps you did mentioned that Balor's shield producing FIRE DAMAGE!? So can I precast the protection from fire and that will reduce a receiving damage! Cool idea! I hope it will work.

"Stoneskin", "immunities per school of magic", "Tenser's Transformation", "Improved Haste" and so on, does not including in my protagonist's default spell arsenal.

"Protection From Magical Weapon" - LOL? Do you monster with 200-300 HP (monster's have 50% bonus of HP...) that can receive maximum of ~10-20 dmg from my party monk per round will stand only 4 round? :p"Protection From Magical Weapon" is almost absolutely useless in that case, just a waste of a spell slot or a scroll - this spell for a thick battles in the closed little rooms, but in the Battle with Balor my party can run through all of The Underdark first location....

I tried "Death Ward" but I have doubts about it's protection from a instant death chance in the close combat with Balor... Perhaps it is gone after some "Remove Magic", I do not remember exactly...

kreso:

The first Balor can kill my party, but he (or she) cannot defeat them - all of my party is a well motivated fighter against the injustice, the racial discrimination and such things (except Imoen - I htink she need a rest... that because developers messing with my party core member in the Asylum :(, do not want to spoil...) :p . Anywa' This is not a The First Balor, this is a the first balor that I saw in the BG2. - Yeah, I like the fairytale :p .

If you want to heal the Monk which hitting the horned moron the splitting of party is not so easy task... I hope Balor has no regeneration ability...

thanx for the answers, I will try. I though that this balor will be a casual fight, but that dude starting to bother me...

100 000 000 MB. heheheh

You on steam? Don't patch, reinstall the game instead, DragonSpear of aVENGER is integrated in the main game.

well...on LoB difficulty training rats battle in Candlekeep is more epic than Epic Divine Encounter.

~ 256 MB? Omfg I need to download it an eternity wtih my a'cursed connection.

Reinstall the game :( Omfg 4 GB - I damned, perhaps I will manage to do something with it.

And the an another question: I need to start a whole new game to jump from INSANE to LOB difficulty setting? ... :(

I need to start a whole new game to jump from INSANE to LOB difficulty setting?

Yes. LoB is permanent. I wouldn't recommend it for a serious runthrough in the current state. Good thing is you can turn off difficulty based damage increase in options but I still wouldn't recommend it for a real run.

You will also lose all your saves from 1.3 version.

and the game I mean I kinda missed all the DRRRAMA, I skip dialogs anyway... LOL... I'm a rager, I want to RAGE! but I skip dialogs....what can I say? I have nothig to say, not to mention to rage about..I just skip dialogs. ;FFFFFFF

I don't even know what that fucking gamergate is. Unbeliveble but true. eeeehh....... I prefer to talk about Balors. So, send only one char to make him (the Balor lol) waste his remove magic. Make your strongest fighter drink potion of fire res, potion of the biggest giant strenght, potion of invulnerability and two or three potions of regeration, cast improved haste on him and deathward or make him RAGEEEE... hehehe... and kill the Balor. whats the problem anyway? ;]

kreso:

The first Balor can kill my party, but he (or she) cannot defeat them - all of my party is a well motivated fighter against the injustice, the racial discrimination and such things (except Imoen - I htink she need a rest... that because developers messing with my party core member in the Asylum :(, do not want to spoil...) :p . Anywa' This is not a The First Balor, this is a the first balor that I saw in the BG2. - Yeah, I like the fairytale :p .

If you want to heal the Monk which hitting the horned moron the splitting of party is not so easy task... I hope Balor has no regeneration ability...

thanx for the answers, I will try. I though that this balor will be a casual fight, but that dude starting to bother me...

Mind you, it was irony. :)

If you're really having issues with this guy, post more details- who is in your party, what +3 weapons you have, do you have access to Spell Trigger/Sequencer/Lower Resistance etc.

InKal

I do not know where the hell I can found such amount of potions, and why I need to waste this potions on the not a boss-like enemy... All my party potions amount reduced to ONE after I get all of my party items from the 'big-boss' table that was after completing The Asylum main quest. So this is not a solution because if my party will encounter the real dangerous enemy like a surprise in form of ThaxlSiraya (Shadow Dragon) was on 12-13th level's party, and my party will have no of a proper potions - that will be a pretty sad...

So just for clarifying, Dragon Spear, BG2:EE 2,1

I will lose all of my saves from BG2:EE to switching LOB difficulty ? - Yes I will.

Can I export my character (that is finished BG:EE, Black Pits) to Dragon Spear???

After I will finish Dragon Spear (at LOB), can I export my character to BG2:EE 2.1, and start New Game on Legacy of Bhaal difficulty?

Can I use SCS, Tactics for EE, the Asteria's Restoration project, Unfinished Business with BG2:EE latest patch????

I do not want to get through whole BG:EE again , this will be too much of fanaticism... But I do not want to continue play in BG2:EE at not a highest difficulty :cry:

kreso

I have the spell sequencers, triggers (can not use them because of low level), lower resistance spells (I sued all of the very often - "Pierce Shield", "Pierce Magic", "Lower Resistance" and so on.. ) in my Diviner's spellbook.

BUT except lower resistance spells, I am not using any of that (even once not used) I prefer the typo damage spells, like a "Cone of Cold", "Ice Storm", "Fireball", "Skull Trap", "Sphere of Chaos", "Death Fog", and the other AoE damage spells.

I hate this Aura of Flaming Death - the most horrible defensive spell that has been used against my party for now :mad:

1407d3f.jpg

Anywa' THIS DAY IS A DAY! Combo of "Pierce Shield" x1 + "Contagion" x2 (thanx to the all Rpg Gods that I have not used it over a foolish mad elves before.) works amazing against that horned moronic npc.

After this I used ALL of my party's anti-magic,the lower resistance spell (and that was a lot of spells...) and ~70 charges of "Wand of Frost", ~30 charges of "Wand of Missiles", the ALL of my party's offensive spells...

650dd2b.jpg

HOOOREYYYYY. You may ask me WHERE THE HELL I HAVE OBTAINED 100 WAND OF FROST CHARGES? - I will say that this is happens after I took all of my party items from big-boss table after completing of main quest The Asylum.

The all of my party missile weapon ammo reduced to 1.

The all of my party potions amount reduced to 1 :(.

"Gem of Seeing" has been lost (no such item I have found in the table but it was before the asylum in my party's inventory).

"Rashad's Talon +2" in some way has been transformed into "Belm +2" O_o .

The all of my party Wand's charges incresed to 100 for "Wand of Frost", "Wand of Missiles", "Wand of Paralyzation", and so on, to 50 for Wand of Cloudkill, and reduced to 1 for "Web Sack".

And probably some other items has been lost or transformed but I did not saw it.

I decided to sold almost all of my party Wand, but I left few "just in case" and I was damn RIGHT!!! The horned moron has a weaknesses against WANDS! Lol...

P.S. No steganography I understand or even want to.

Good job on killing the nasty Balor!

Thanx. ^_^ Yeah... That is rising my self-opinion up to the skies, like in a cartoon-tv "Legend of guardians" which is about the birds :D.

From this thread I assume there are issues with the "Take party equipment in Spellhold" component. Never used this component tbh, too much trouble for me.

Yes it have messed with my party items ;/ . But anywa' the nothing critical happens. And 100-charged wands I have sold for cash (~2,500 for one) and even used it against this moronic fire demon.

What's going on with (the right half of) that projectile graphic?

https://i.imgsafe.org/650dd2b.jpg

I do not know what you talking about (the low English proficiency I have )... Perhaps it is an another 'obscured' nonsense, I do not know, I do not care. :p

But this is the best screen-shot that I have done, because I stroke on the SPACEBARE when I heard "Level Up" (before that I prepared the party to run away with screams, because the moron has an unlimited amount of "Meteor Shower", and was a long time after the last 'shower' happens.. :/ ) sound, that was a right the same moment when a stupidity created creature falls on the digital floor after the obscured projectile "Wand of Frost" strokes :D (the Balor corpse behind the wall and not showed on the screen-shot).

Archived