Sword Coast Stratagems v31 Now Available

I have left the install on since I posted yesterday. I have moved, albeit very very slowly. I'm up to ARENAHO9. This is the exact same behavior I had before the SCS 31 was updated. DavidW had changed things in the master that made the process much much quicker but just had the issues with what I shared earlier. I believe if those issues were fixed, then all the issues I've had so far would be solved.

Is the game installed on your main hard drive attached to game computer ? Asking this cause drives read and write speed can increase the install time A LOT, and having it at an external drive will slow down the install speed by 10 to 1000 times ...

Yeah, an SSD laptop. Windows on bootcamp to be precise. But I know I'm not the only one having this issue as well, at least with large installs. Thing is the DavidW fix that was on the master on my previous install sped it up considerably, but going back to the V31 has had the same problem for me.

I have left the install on since I posted yesterday. I have moved, albeit very very slowly. I'm up to ARENAHO9. This is the exact same behavior I had before the SCS 31 was updated. DavidW had changed things in the master that made the process much much quicker but just had the issues with what I shared earlier. I believe if those issues were fixed, then all the issues I've had so far would be solved.

Is the game installed on your main hard drive attached to game computer ? Asking this cause drives read and write speed can increase the install time A LOT, and having it at an external drive will slow down the install speed by 10 to 1000 times ...

Jarno,

Quick question here for a clarification. I have a 1TB drive that is attached to my PC via a standard USB, which is where I run all of my IE and BGEE game setups. I run BWS and all of the various installs I have from here, my normal install time is pretty long, 10-20 hours, with a pretty big Mod load. Am I to understand that I could shrink that download time by instead installing everything onto my PC instead of the connected drive? Would it be better to just run BWS on my PC and then just move everything over to the other drive when the install is complete? I use the separate drive in order to keep from eating up the space on my drive. I don't mean to sound stupid, I'm just not real up to speed on how the separate drives work speed wise. I don't ever want to play without SCS so I'm just looking for ways to install a little faster without having to babysit my machine. Thanks

No. External drive is fine. Don't listen to Jarno about that stuff. Modern SSDs, even hard drives, are not going to limit you by write speed, compated to the general slowness of Weidu processing SCS. 10-20 hours is typical for me, with an internal SSD.

I haven't had a chance to try out the addition made to the master commit with some mods that I know tend to slow down SCS... too busy adding new multiclass combinations to the game. Maybe this week I'll be able to give it a look-see.

Jarno,

Quick question here for a clarification. I have a 1TB drive that is attached to my PC via a standard USB, which is where I run all of my IE and BGEE game setups. I run BWS and all of the various installs I have from here, my normal install time is pretty long, 10-20 hours, with a pretty big Mod load. Am I to understand that I could shrink that download time by instead installing everything onto my PC instead of the connected drive? Would it be better to just run BWS on my PC and then just move everything over to the other drive when the install is complete? I use the separate drive in order to keep from eating up the space on my drive. I don't mean to sound stupid, I'm just not real up to speed on how the separate drives work speed wise. I don't ever want to play without SCS so I'm just looking for ways to install a little faster without having to babysit my machine. Thanks

Yes, I am talking about this exact thing there. Unless your USB(-C 2.0 ~480Mb/s transfer rate) is directly patched into a Serial ATA connections(6Gb/s) that computers usually use for hard drive attachments, it effects this very much.

Also as the data is not only read and written to a single direction, by the single core, this effects it a lot more, as it can't use MAX transfer rates, ever. Then there's the bit rate, which is the actual reading of the bits the file has for use in programs like weidu... and there again USB 2.0's 35 MB/s compared to SATA's 600 MB/s... using this data. Yeah, and even if you have USB 3.0, it still marginally worse than the typical SATA connection.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I am not really supporting the maintenance release (I'm only semi-around at the moment and didn't keep close track of it) but I'll have a look if I have a chance to see if I can tweak whatever's not working in my v32 alpha fragment.

Awesome, I await it. I won't be able to do an install really until it's solved anyway.

Heya. I've recently decided to get back into BG and figured I would add some mods this time around for a new experience. I've added the BG1npc Project and SCS fine enough, but I noticed that this version of SCS, the components for NPC management such as Allow NPC pairs to seperate are not showing up as an install option. I have the newest version downloaded and I have uninstalled and re-installed multiple times to see if it was an error on my part. With no luck, I could not get the components to show and reverted to v30 of SCS and it indeed had those components as options to install.

I was wondering if this was intended or perhaps I am missing something right in front of my eyes.

I was wondering if this was intended or perhaps I am missing something right in front of my eyes.

Just:

The following components have been deprecated since they're moving to Tweaks Anthology:

Allow BG1 NPC pairs to separate (BGEE, TUTU, BGT)

Welp, I feel like a fool. Thank you.

@DavidW

Suppose I want to add an extra (passive) ABILITY to every thief kit in the game. This ability contains a single melee header with one opcode #328 (parameter2 = 252, special = 1).

Now: SCS correctly adds this new ability where appropriate (it basically adds a CRE effect with opcode #328) BUT for some reason, the special field is set to 0 instead of 1. Why!?

Edited by Luke

Because SCS's kit-processing system doesn't think to check for the "special" field. (I think that bit of code probably predates any extensive use of the field in the EE.)

It's fixable; on the other hand, I'm persuaded by subtledoctor that it's not sensible for compatibility for SCS to try being that broad in its approach to kits, so from v32 I'll be leaving it to other mods to impose their own kit effects if they add them.

Because SCS's kit-processing system doesn't think to check for the "special" field. (I think that bit of code probably predates any extensive use of the field in the EE.)

It's fixable; on the other hand, I'm persuaded by subtledoctor that it's not sensible for compatibility for SCS to try being that broad in its approach to kits, so from v32 I'll be leaving it to other mods to impose their own kit effects if they add them.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

I also agree with Subtledoctor on SCS's kit-processing system...

In the meantime, do you have a temporary fix?