Help for Mac-users

Loriel

Yeah, looks like they forgot to include the tp2 in the Mac archive. Using the tp2 from the Linux build ought to work, as there's no real reason anymore for different platforms to have differences in their tp2s (though they might need platform-specific batch files for processing certain audio and graphics files). Had a quick look, and at least the Linux and PC tp2s are identical. So... I'd say using the tp2 from the Linux build is definitely worth a try. :blush:

Okay just tried running the installation with the Linux tp2 file and no errors came up during the installation. Does this mean it worked? Or do I need to check in game to see if the new content is active?

Also, during the installation, when it got to the "Check for TuTuFix Walking Speeds" I ran the check and this was the result:

Install Component [The BG1 NPC Project: Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? I

Installing [The BG1 NPC Project: Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds]

Tutu detected: support at www.gibberlings3.net

Copying and patching 1 file ...

loading 1 tra file

Checking for required files ...

Copying and patching 1 file ...

Copying and patching 137 files ...

During my installs thus far (only those mentioned in your FAQ), the only time I was asked about Walking Speed I thought I chose not to install the component. I'd much prefer the faster BG2 speed than the compromise speed I believe the mod applies.

The above result though seems to suggest that there has been an adjustment in walking speed? Is it installed by default by one of mods? If so, what do I need to do to have the faster standard BG2 speed in my play through?

Thanks again for your time. I would never have made it through this install without your help! :blush:

Okay just tried running the installation with the Linux tp2 file and no errors came up during the installation. Does this mean it worked? Or do I need to check in game to see if the new content is active?
Yep, should be fine. :blush: Couldn't hurt to run a quick test game though; IIRC you can encounter BG1NPC content within minutes of starting a new game (Rushing to leave Candlekeep).

During my installs thus far (only those mentioned in your FAQ), the only time I was asked about Walking Speed I thought I chose not to install the component. I'd much prefer the faster BG2 speed than the compromise speed I believe the mod applies.

The above result though seems to suggest that there has been an adjustment in walking speed? Is it installed by default by one of mods? If so, what do I need to do to have the faster standard BG2 speed in my play through?

Walking speeds are not affected by EasyTutu or any "standard" mod, only by the Tutufix component in question (which I think still suffers from some bugginess, so I wouldn't personally recommend it, even putting aside the fact that I too personally prefer the faster speeds of BG2). The intended use of this BG1NPC component is to adjust walking speeds of BG1NPC characters to match "Tutufix Walking Speeds", thus it checks to see if speeds have been adjusted by Tutufix first. I don't think there's anything to be gained by using this BG1NPC component if you aren't using the Tutufix component in question, and while it ought to successfully detect that the Tutufix component is not in use, and thus do nothing; if I were you, I'd uninstall it (the "Check..." component that is), both to keep the WeiDU log clean, and just to be sure. :D

Okay, since I'm completely new to the whole "install order" issue and the conflicts that can arise...

Is it okay to go back and run the .install_tutufix.command just to confirm that I didn't install the Walking Speed component, and uninstall it if I did do so?

In general is it not recommended to go backwards even just for checks and/or uninstalls? Or can even that mess up later mod chains.

In my specific case, all I have installed are items listed in your Tutorial:

BG2

BG2- ToB

BG2 - ToB update

(moved BG1 files into bg1data and bg1movie folders respectively)

OSX-TuTuCore_ToB

Most OSX-TutuFix v17 components

Degreenifier

NPCKits

SpawnRandomizer

BG1NPCProject

Is it okay to go back and run the .install_tutufix.command just to confirm that I didn't install the Walking Speed component, and uninstall it if I did do so?

In general is it not recommended to go backwards even just for checks and/or uninstalls? Or can even that mess up later mod chains.

You can find out if a component is installed just by browsing the contents of the WeiDU.log text file in your game directory, which contains a list of all installed mod components. If you find that you've installed some components from a mod that you'd like to get rid of, you can run the installer for that mod, choose to ninstall those components and choose [N]o change for all other components from that mod, and WeiDU will handle uninstalling and reinstalling everything to remove those particular components. Uninstalling and reinstalling things can potentially cause problems if you intend to continue with an existing save game, but if you've yet to start playing or are able to start a new game, this method should work fine.

The above information is not specific to Macs.

Regarding the music files; I don't have a set of PC BG1 discs handy, so I can't say for sure where you'll find them if not in a folder titled music or similar. You should be able to safely start a game now and switch the music files later, though, if you find where they are on the disc(s); the place of the "music switching" in the installation order is not crucial.

thanks,

Queenie

Guest Chopsifer

Hey All,

Currently using a cidered version of BG 2 + Throne of Bhaal as I just got a wee bit too frustrated with the endless problems I experienced in the Mac version of the game.

I have gotten the mods to work with the Mac version of the game (however, there still were some initially buggy issues with said version that made the game difficult/annoying to play), however, I wanted to know if there was a way to potentially mod the Cidered version. I try going through the process (that is, starting the .command file) and get the following:

/Volumes/Clementine/Misc\ Backups/Games/Mac\ Games/Intel\ Crossovers:Ciders/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ 2\ +\ ToB\ OSX\ Intel/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ II\ ToB.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/BGII/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

Barton:~ dubya$ /Volumes/Clementine/Misc\ Backups/Games/Mac\ Games/Intel\ Crossovers:Ciders/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ 2\ +\ ToB\ OSX\ Intel/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ II\ ToB.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/BGII/setup-bg2fixpack.command ; exit;

/Volumes/Clementine/Misc Backups/Games/Mac Games/Intel Crossovers:Ciders/Baldur's Gate 2 + ToB OSX Intel/Baldur's Gate II ToB.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming: No such file or directory/setup-bg2fixpack.command: line 1:

logout

[Process completed]

Any ideas on allowing this to work without using Bootcamp, as I do not have Windows on this machine. Much thanks, any tips would be appreciated.

I've just spent the last 48 hours agonizing over installing some WeiDU mods on OS X, so here are some observations that I hope can help future Mac users:

1) First off WeiDU for Mac extracts into a folder called WeiDU. Inside, you'll find several gray icons which all look like the Terminal window. You'll be using the one called "weidu" - you can safely ignore the rest. Move the WeiDU folder to your Applications folder, or somewhere else, so it doesn't get lost among your downloaded files.

2) OS X can't extract RAR or EXE files by default (most WeiDU mods are RAR or EXE), so you need to download an application that can do this. I use Unarchiver, which is free and extracts files automatically with no need for any interface at all.

3) The extracted folder (usually named "ModName-version") should contain the following:

A) a folder named "ModName"

B) a file named "Setup-ModName.command"

C) a file named "Setup-ModName"

If either of B) or C) is missing, this is what you do:

*Make a copy of "weidu" (found in the WeiDU folder) and drop it in the extracted folder.

*To create the B) file, simply change the name "weidu" to "Setup-ModName.command"

*To create the C) file, simply change the name "weidu" to "Setup-ModName"

Once you have these three items, copy them and paste them into your BG2-SoA folder. Then click Setup-ModName.command, and the mod should install in a Terminal window.

4) Even though all three items exist in the extracted folder, some extractors (like Unarchiver) don't always set permissions correctly on the extracted files. This may lead to error message saying you don't have permission to run the mod install/setup program. To change this, go to Spotlight and find Terminal and start it up. Type

"chmod +x " (minus quotations, the space after "+x" is important, don't press Return yet)

Find the .command setup/installation file that complains about permissions and drag and drop it over the terminal window. This should input a correct path to that file after the "+x" part. Now press Return. Terminal should simply execute the command and present you with a new blank line, if this is done correctly.

You should do this for tp2-files as well, if they display a blank document icon rather than a Terminal-icon. The file "Setup-Modname.tp2" is either directly in the extracted folder alongside the .command file, or one step further in the folder called "modName". If it already displays a Terminal icon, you don't need to chmod it.

5) Some mods will extract an .exe file instead of a .command file, despite being "for Mac" or "for OS X". For example, this is the case with Ascension v. 1.4.24. To help this, you need to jump through yet another hoop. Throw away the .exe file. Copy weidu again, and change the name to "Setup-ModName.exe" You can't click this to run it, so you need to run it from Terminal. Make sure the .tp2-file displays a terminal icon (see point 4 above) and then start a new Terminal window. Type:

cd "/BGII - SOA" <press enter> (Note, simply dragging your BGII-SoA folder ontop of Terminal won't work - thanks to Suttree for this)

This should change the directory to your main game folder where the newly created .exe-file (actually a weidu-clone) is located. Then type:

./setup-ascension.exe <press enter>

Now the mod should install.

Good luck!

Some thoughts on the postings here, from my perspective under Mac OS X 10.4.11:

Instead of moving the file "weidu" from its enclosing folder into the BG2 game folder, I recommend copying it there, so you can save the original in case you need it ;)

StuffIt extracts the downloaded mod archives, most of the time. If it doesn't, I use UnRARX or 7zX. If I use either of those two programs, I first place the archive into a new folder, and rename the archive from "modarchive.xyz" to _modarchive Folder" (removing the .xyz extension, whatever it may be, to name the folder). If the only thing that extracts is a .exe file, the mod cannot be used on my computer.

Instead of adding or renaming any files, once the mod is extracted, I place a copy of the mod folder in the BG2 game folder, then in a Terminal shell, I run install-mod.sh by typing "./weidu-mac Install-tools/Install-mod.sh". This "fixes broken files" and places the mod's .tp2 and any other necessary files in the BG2 game folder. I choose not to install at that point, quit the tool, and install the mod from the command prompt as normal (by typing "./weidu-mac mymod.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk --log mymod.DEBUG"). I never pay any attention to .command files, and don't know if they're even necessary, but I leave them as they are.

I don't know if it's still necessary to rename that file to "weidu-mac" or not, but I do that, and it works for me.

I can confirm that doing a chmod is effective for .tp2 files that appear with a generic document icon.

When changing directories in a Terminal shell on the Mac, it may be necessary to type the command like this: "cd /BGII\ -\ SoA"

That's how I have to do it, anyway.

Are there any improvements/shortcuts I could use to make my process more efficient?

Happy modding,

Eric

Can anyone help me to obtain a disc image for BG1/ToSC (whichever is needed to be in the CD drive in order to play ToSC games)? I still have the game installed under OS 9.2.2, and would like to play it again (and explore the possibilities of BGT/TuTu), but my discs were stolen several years ago.

I have TotSC installed as a Classic application. MapConvert and the Game Data folder are present alongside the application. I'll look again at the procedure for what I have in mind, to see if there's anything more I need.

For some reason, the memory of inserting the TotSC disc, or one or another of the game discs, drifts by, but it has been many years.

What is the basic difference between BGT and EasyTuTu? Is there a preference among Mac users for one over the other?

EasyTutu is Windows only, whereas BGT has recently been adapted for Mac and Linux.

BGT combines both BG1 and BG2 into a more or less seamless game, whereas Tutu preserves the original distinction between the two.

Archived