Translating EET

Currently EET is only available in English, Polish and German. If you wish to translate the mod, check out the note for translators. Pretty much all new text added by this mod is imported directly from BG:EE TLK files and considering that the game is already available in 14 languages, there are just few kb of text that needs to be translated.

You can view the English translation online on GitHub: https://github.com/K4thos/EET/tree/master/EET/lang/en_US

edit:

Call for translations update for EET 1.0: https://github.com/K...master/EET/lang

Following languages need to be updated: German

1. New strings added to 2da.tra. Mostly related to new Campaign Selection feature. Feel free to write them however you wish, no point in keeping it literal, considering these are mostly quotes from marketing materials regarding each game.
2. New file called chapters.tra. This may look scary but 90% of this file are just strings existing in BG:EE and BG2:EE. There is one part where the strings needs to be slighltly modified to presnt them CHARNAME perspective rather than narrator's.
3. 4 new strings in dialog.tra
4. setup.tra now have 21 strings related to WeiDU installation process (so don't use non-English language letters)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by K4thos

Hi, Fouinto. Feel free to post the translation here, as a post attachment.

Graoumf, why you guys are not hosting unfinished French BG2:EE translation externally? Polish one is not done yet either (although it's close too) but players were able to play the game in Polish from the start. English strings only in content that have not been translated yet. Updates to TLK files after each translation milestone is reached. Even an option to update the translation after the game was started (via weidu code). Take a look how we host it:
TLK files: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40588/polska-wersja-oraz-dubbing-download
Dubbing: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1113-polish-language-localization-for-bg2ee/

I don't think many people from Poland would even consider playing EE games if they were forced to use English language. I'm surprised that other translation teams didn't adopt similar approach.

Edited by K4thos

We're working on the french translation. It's almost done.

Great news !

Hi, Fouinto. Feel free to post the translation here, as a post attachment.

I will take a look at it :)

Graoumf, why you guys are not hosting unfinished French BG2:EE translation externally? Polish one is not done yet either (although it's close too) but players were able to play the game in Polish from the start. English strings only in content that have not been translated yet. Updates to TLK files after each translation milestone is reached. Even an option to update the translation after the game was started (via weidu code). Take a look how we host it:

TLK files: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40588/polska-wersja-oraz-dubbing-download

Dubbing: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1113-polish-language-localization-for-bg2ee/

I don't think many people from Poland would even consider playing EE games if they were forced to use English language. I'm surprised that other translation teams didn't adopt similar approach.

I thought it was a NDA problem...

Well, if it's an unofficial patch release and doesn't claim itself to be anything else, it should be fine. IF, all the makers of it agree that it can be unofficially published.

I have no idea on how one would actually release it, as the game doesn't have a Polish/French default language ... they could replace the English files*, of course that would mean that it should be said in the release. *Or what ever files are replaced.

As in, if you wish to go with half French/German translation, then go ahead and you replace the German files and instruct people to use those files in game.

I have no idea on how one would actually release it, as the game doesn't have a Polish/French default language ... they could replace the English files*, of course that would mean that it should be said in the release. *Or what ever files are replaced.

just place fr_FR directory with TLK files inside BG2:EE lang folder and the new language will show up in the options menu. No need to overwrite existing languages.

Edited by K4thos

We're hosting nothing because there is nothing to host. There is no french translation of BG2EE, absolutely nothing.

I'm under NDA and I know what I'm talking about.

The only thing we're hosting since many months are files which match and replace the strings from the vanilla game.

------------------

You may think that it's our team who is translating BG2EE, but it's not the case.

Our team (the d'Oghmatiques) has translated mods since 12 years (including BG1 NPC Project, Keto, TDD, etc...). People who are translating BG2EE are another team, and in fact there is nobody currently: they gave up.

Edited by Graoumf

Fouinto, you can find the initial translation here: https://github.com/Isaya/EET/tree/master/EET/lang/fr_FR. You're welcome to review it.

K4thos, I pushed the translation files on a forked repository on GitHub. I also created the ogg files. The movies play well in game. Your process to insert the sounds at installation time is amazing.

I'll make a pull request once the translation has been reviewed.

I also extracted from the tp2 file all texts used in PRINT/WARN/FAIL and their PATCH counterparts and put them in setup.tra. I assume this file will be used to translate them in the end. I started translating them in anticipation.

Regarding the BG2EE translation, I did something similar to what WhiteAgnus created to make dialog.tlk file using the original translation. Instead of assuming that there is no change in the texts, my attempt is based on a tool I wrote to extract translations from an existing tlk file when the text is identical (or near identical) to the one you have to translate. In practice this process recovered about 70000 texts of the original set and 1200 of the new texts (74107 and beyond). Using the same method from BGEE file, it also recovered 13500 texts of the original set and 1000 beyond 74107, Most of the texts recovered from BGEE are probably the same as those recovered from BG II, except for things added or changed by the EE games and common in both games. All in all, it probably covers a bit better the interface and game rules texts than by only using original BG II strings but it leave many items or spells in English as it seems that the authors decide to rephrase or reorganise many of them.

The files are available here. The sounds gathered in bif files are also included.

Yes sorry, we're working on the french translation of EET.

No need to be sorry, you have already made so much for French players :)

Fouinto, you can find the initial translation here: https://github.com/Isaya/EET/tree/master/EET/lang/fr_FR. You're welcome to review it.

I've not read map labels (cause I know they are already in BP-BGT Worldmap).

I have just one observation about setup.tra :

en_US/setup.tra is empty

fr_FR/setup.tra contain both English and French sentences.

Regarding the BG2EE translation, I did something similar to what WhiteAgnus created to make dialog.tlk file using the original translation. Instead of assuming that there is no change in the texts, my attempt is based on a tool I wrote to extract translations from an existing tlk file when the text is identical (or near identical) to the one you have to translate. In practice this process recovered about 70000 texts of the original set and 1200 of the new texts (74107 and beyond). Using the same method from BGEE file, it also recovered 13500 texts of the original set and 1000 beyond 74107, Most of the texts recovered from BGEE are probably the same as those recovered from BG II, except for things added or changed by the EE games and common in both games. All in all, it probably covers a bit better the interface and game rules texts than by only using original BG II strings but it leave many items or spells in English as it seems that the authors decide to rephrase or reorganise many of them.

The files are available here. The sounds gathered in bif files are also included.

Smart strategy :) I may use it in my next install :)

I've not read map labels (cause I know they are already in BP-BGT Worldmap).

I have just one observation about setup.tra :

en_US/setup.tra is empty

fr_FR/setup.tra contain both English and French sentences.

That's what explained Isaya here:

I also extracted from the tp2 file all texts used in PRINT/WARN/FAIL and their PATCH counterparts and put them in setup.tra. I assume this file will be used to translate them in the end. I started translating them in anticipation.

Anyway, don't worry: these strings are commented, so they won't be called in the install.

Isaya, Graoumf, thanks for the translation. Feel free to make a pull request. How we should credit you in the readme?

some of these stuff is used only for debugging (debug file is quite large, so it's easier to have some pointers while analysing it). I will edit French file myself to remove unneeded strings once the tp2 file is traified. Nice to have a list :)

Instead of assuming that there is no change in the texts, my attempt is based on a tool I wrote to extract translations from an existing tlk file when the text is identical (or near identical) to the one you have to translate.

Could you please share this tool?