Bad command or file name

Guest Nightbreed

Guest Nightbreed

Hello,

I'm having trouble installing Oversight. Its saying its a bad command or file. I'm having the same problem with the tweak pack. The previous versions worked fine with what I have installed but I deleted them when I downloaded the updates. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hello,

I'm having trouble installing Oversight. Its saying its a bad command or file. I'm having the same problem with the tweak pack. The previous versions worked fine with what I have installed but I deleted them when I downloaded the updates. Anyone know how to fix this?

Could you please give us the exact error and tell us when it is saying it. Then we can probably help.

Guest Guest

I'm running the setup exe to install and its giving me a bad command or file message in the ms-dos prompt window. Thats the first thing I get before I even get to the language options (or whatever the first options are)

I also get this error message if I try to run the exe from the main BG2 directory.

ERROR [setup- ~4.Tp2] not found.

Make sure you have unpacked this file correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

So the first message I get if I try to run the setup exe from inside the oversight folder. And the second I get from the setup inside the main BG2 directory. I'm also running on windows 98 if that helps. For the second message I have already unzipped everything to the BG2 folder so I'm not trying to run it from inside a zip (which is what I take that message to mean)

Fuck, it'll be to do with Win98. You can get around it I imagine. Try opening the download (overisight-v7.exe) with WinRAR and extracting the files manually the BG2 directory (rather than double-clicking it to autoextract) , it might help, but I don't know. Then try running Setup-Oversight.exe.

So the first message I get if I try to run the setup exe from inside the oversight folder

Do you mean from inside the archive? If so, don't do that. If not, errr... the setup-oversight.exe should never be in an oversight folder, just the BG2 main directory (and thats after you've run oversight-v7.exe or manually extracted the files from there to the BG2 directory). Once the files are extracting there will be an 'oversight' folder in your BG2 directory but the setup-oversight.exe won't be in it.

Guest Nightbreed

Extracting it manually with Winrar has seemed to sort the problem out. Its all installed ok. Thats a relief cause I've been dying to play the game all weekend. Thanks for your help Grim! :p

I'm running the setup exe to install and its giving me a bad command or file message in the ms-dos prompt window. Thats the first thing I get before I even get to the language options (or whatever the first options are)

I also get this error message if I try to run the exe from the main BG2 directory.

ERROR [setup- ~4.Tp2] not found.

Make sure you have unpacked this file correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

So the first message I get if I try to run the setup exe from inside the oversight folder. And the second I get from the setup inside the main BG2 directory. I'm also running on windows 98 if that helps. For the second message I have already unzipped everything to the BG2 folder so I'm not trying to run it from inside a zip (which is what I take that message to mean)

This post is sort of ancient (please don't hurt me), and Grim has also pronounced his judgement (all hail, etc), but to me this sounds as if Guest has done the following:

"the first thing" - Guest tried to run the exe from within the Oversight folder somehow; i.e. the exe, the tp2, and everything else was within an Oversight folder in the BGII folder.

"And the second" - Guest has the same setup as above, except the exe is now moved up into the BGII folder. But the rest remains within the Oversight folder - including the tp2, which is why the exe can't find it to install.

Why would I suggest this? Because that's how I tried to do it with my very first WeiDU mods a couple of ages ago. Then again, I'm wrong on a daily basis, so I think I'll shut up now. Goodnight.

I'm going to double-post here - yes, voluntarily, staring disapproval and perhaps even banning in the face - just to clarify my stand above.

Downloads generally come in two forms, which I shall henceforth refer to as forms A and B.

Form A is a zip (or rar, etc) file containing the exe, the tp2, and the mod's main folder containing various sub-folders (d, items, portraits, etc). Send all that into BGII and there's no problem installing the mod since everything's already in the correct place.

Form B, cheekily enough, is the same as form A - only packaged within another folder typically named the same as the mod in question. And therein lies the problem. Joe Downloader unzips that into the BGII folder, with the result that the exe is in a sub-folder of the BGII folder and hence won't install because it's not in the BGII folder.

Joe Downloader then moves the exe (and only the exe) up into the BGII folder and tries again. And install fails again, because the tp2 is not in the same folder.

And so on and on. But I think I have proved my coding ineptitude enough for one day, so I'll stop here.

Archived