Happy 8th of March, Ladies

Domi

I know it's not a big deal in the West, but back from where I come from it's one of the biggest celebrations of the year. So Happy International Women's Day, ladies. And here are the traditional flowers given on this day to women

acacia.jpg

They were interviewing a originally Russian lady in the radio today and she mentioned the name of what i think is that flower but I can't remember what it was. I suppose that Finland stands somewhere between east and west in celebrating women's day. They told in the same radio programme that they sell today more flowers than in valentine's day, but since valentines day isn't terribly big thing here... Anyway, at the work the only man (also eastern-European) working in our department bought chocolate to us ladies. Any day that you can eat chocolate is a good day.

And I got a tea flower (a flower made of tea leaves) from my hubby. :)

Hmm, I didn't pay much attention to this day, and neither did my wife for that matter. I think Mother's Day in May is a lot more important date here than Women's Day. At least that's the case with my family.

But we don't care that much about feminism. After all, I'm the man in my house so I always get the last word: "Yes, dear!" :)

( I know, I know - that was an old joke already when the dinosaurs walked the Earth...)

Mother's Day was originally instituted to protest war, so I rather like that one :). Then it was co-opted of course.

I've heard about Women's Day, but I didn't know it was such a big deal other places. I think it's a great idea, and it's just too bad all men, everywhere, aren't always expected to be gentlemen.

Another THANK YOU... It's very beautiful day. So many women yesterday and today carry flowers :) Not only mimozas, but roses and tulips and... erm... a lot of other flowers ;) In university boys presented us living flowers... Not sure it will survive at my home.

I don't believe I've ever heard of International Women's Day before either. Does this mean there's an Internal Men's Day as well? :)

Hmm, I didn't pay much attention to this day, and neither did my wife for that matter. I think Mother's Day in May is a lot more important date here than Women's Day. At least that's the case with my family.

Did you know Mother's Day is celeberated on different dates in different countries? The oldest surviving version is the British Mothering Sunday, which was introduced sometime during the 17th century and is still celebrated in Britain (and a few other countries, mainly former colonies of the British Empire) on the "proper" date, the fourth Sunday of Lent (if you're unsure when that it is, it was three days ago ;)).

The second Sunday of May version of Mother's Day was introduced in the USA in 1907, and made "official" in 1914. It has since spread to several other countries as well, such as Austalia, Denmark, Italy and Turkey. Various other countries celebrate Mother's Day on May 10th, including Mexico, India, Hong Kong and Saudi Arabia. There are also several earlier, no-longer celebrated celebrations of the Mother, including a Roman festival that lasted for three days! ;)

There is no International Man's Day per se, but February 23 was always an analogue of March the 8th in that every man around was congratulated and pampered etc by women-coworkers, fellow-students etc :) It had a military taste though (unlike March the 8th), because it was implied that every man would eventually become a defender on the day of need.

I always thought International Women's Day was a UN sponsored "People need to know about this" kinda day.

Interesting to know it has another basis.

My belated greetings too. :)

Oh, and those flowers resemble those of the wattle tree, so if you ever happen to be in Australia, looking for a semi-authentic Women's Day flower, those are the ones to get. ;)

Archived