Help with mods that won't launch

Otis1975

It doesn't happen every time, but occasionally when I try to install a mod (particularly a NPC mod or a banter mod), I get an error command saying I don't have appropriate access privileges. I try to change them but nothing seems to work. I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro with Yosemite 10.10.1 and all other mods seem to work. Furthermore, this problem occurs mainly with mods for BG2. For example, "Romantic Encounters" for BG1 works but does not for BG2.

There error message for the command file reads, specifically:

"The file [whatever the command file is] could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges. To view or change access privileges, select the file in the Finder and chose File > Get Info."

I do so, changing "read only" to "read & write" wherever I can and making the computer as accessible as I know how, but I still get the same error. I have tried some tips seen here and there about entering command lines into the Terminal screen, but that doesn't seem to work either. It's not a hanging matter, of course, as most of these mods are just for curiosity's sake, but any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

The short-term fix is for you to use this command in the terminal to set the appropriate file permissions for both the .command file and the WeiDU installer for a mod:

chmod +x setup-modname.command setup-modname

For this to work, your current directory will need to be your game directory (so you might have to cd there first).

The long-term fix is for you to make a note of which mods have this problem and inform the authors, if you can. Those mods are probably not being packaged correctly for OS X. Most of the ways of creating OS X mod packages on Windows do not preserve the necessary file permissions to allow users to install mods without additional work.

For mod authors who create OS X packages on Windows machines, the easiest way to set the appropriate file permissions is to use 7zip and package your mod as a .tar.gz like this.

The short-term fix is for you to use this command in the terminal to set the appropriate file permissions for both the .command file and the WeiDU installer for a mod:

chmod +x setup-modname.command setup-modname

For this to work, your current directory will need to be your game directory (so you might have to cd there first).

Could you go into a bit more detail, please? I tried the terminal and got "No such file or directory found." It may be useful to know I downloaded both BG1 and BG2 from GOG.com and all the mods I've installed that work are in the folder drive_c > GOG games > Baldurs Gate 2 folder.

Thanks.

Before using the chmod command, you need to make sure your terminal is "in" the directory where the setup-modname.command and setup-modname files are. You can do this with the cd command, to change directory.

You just type cd, a space, then the path to the directory. Or type cd and a space, then drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window and it will copy the path in. Then hit enter/return.

cd /path/to/directory

After doing that, you can enter in the chmod line from above. (Make sure to swap out the modname parts so they matches the filenames of the mod you are trying to fix.)

Before using the chmod command, you need to make sure your terminal is "in" the directory where the setup-modname.command and setup-modname files are. You can do this with the cd command, to change directory.

You just type cd, a space, then the path to the directory. Or type cd and a space, then drag and drop the folder onto the terminal window and it will copy the path in. Then hit enter/return.

cd /path/to/directory

After doing that, you can enter in the chmod line from above. (Make sure to swap out the modname parts so they matches the filenames of the mod you are trying to fix.)

Still not working. I'll contact the mod creator, and go from there. Thanks for your help and take it easy.

I'm not sure I can make a _more_ working version of RE(or Angelo) for OSX, if it comes to that, since I'm totally Windows-only, and I can't test any changes. If anyone is willing, though, I'll happily accept any and all links(after our recent PPG discussion, the best format is .zip format, right? I don't use 7z/tar/gz myself) via PM(so I don't miss them) and pass them to the admins so they could update the file. EDIT: or if you have the updating privileges as a gibberling, feel free to update the OSX file yourself! Just PM me afterwards.

I'm not sure I can make a _more_ working version of RE(or Angelo) for OSX, if it comes to that, since I'm totally Windows-only, and I can't test any changes. If anyone is willing, though, I'll happily accept any and all links(after our recent PPG discussion, the best format is .zip format, right? I don't use 7z/tar/gz myself) via PM(so I don't miss them) and pass them to the admins so they could update the file. EDIT: or if you have the updating privileges as a gibberling, feel free to update the OSX file yourself! Just PM me afterwards.

I don't have access to a Linux or Mac machine myself, but I understand the theory and have done some limited tests using Cygwin to imitate a Unix environment.

I found that it is possible to store file permissions in a .zip file, but it is quite tricky to do so on a Windows machine. However, it's very easy to set all the necessary permissions when using 7zip and the .tar format (it happens automatically). That's why I mentioned switching to .tar.gz in the PPG discussion.

If you have access to the common workroom, you can find my mod packaging utility here which includes everything you need to quickly package up a mod for multiple operating systems.

Archived