Sarevok does not fear death

Lemernis

I'm not sure if this bug ever happens with vanilla BG, but I just tried a standard strategy for the final battle and had an unusual result: Sarevok just stands there on the dais. He's hostile. But he doesn't fight back, and repeats over and over in a loop, "I do not fear death, do you? Heh!"

And there's a reason he doesn't fear death, evidently: you can't kill him. He takes damage and gets down to 'Near Death' but doesn't die.

I sent one party member to lure Sarevok's mob to the rest of party which was stationed back by the entrance. Here I had Imoen, stealthed, and with Non-Detection cast upon her, approach on the right side and lob an oil of explosions at the podium. She left shadows after throwing the potion, was visible to Tazok and one other acolyte, and Sarevok had his conversation with the PC.

Usually at this point everyone in Sarevok's gang--including Sarevok--follows the potion thrower back to the rest of the party. I then keep Sarevok occupied with summoned monsters while I dispatch Tazok, Semaj, and Angelo.

I've routinely found the final battle easy to win in this way. But here only Tazok, Semaj, and Angelo followed. As mentioned, Sarevok remains immobile on the dais, seemingly caught in some sort of scripting loop.

Okay, I'm pretty confused about that. Some questions:

1) were all of Sarevok's acolytes present at the start of the battle or did some arrive by Dimension Door a few seconds in?

2) Did Diarmid make a reappearence as an acolyte, or was it just the usual three?

3) Did you kill the acolytes? If so, did anything unusual happen when they died?

4) Did you get any non-vanilla-BG dialogue from Sarevok at any point?

Also, can you give me the values you get from putting the following into the console:

5) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSarevokFight","GLOBAL")

6) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWTazokTimer","GLOBAL")

7) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSemajCast","GLOBAL")

1) were all of Sarevok's acolytes present at the start of the battle or did some arrive by Dimension Door a few seconds in?

Semaj defintiely DD'ed to fight the party. Tazok came running after Imoen. I don't recall seeing the spell effect for teleportation for anyone other than Semaj. As to Angelo or Diarmid, IIRC it seemed something more like they left invisibility. To the best of my recollection only one of them appeared (Angelo or Diarmid), not sure which it was. With three acolytes killed and Sarevok behaving as I've described above, when I cast Detect Invisibility and Dispel Magic around the area now one else is revealed.

2) Did Diarmid make a reappearence as an acolyte, or was it just the usual three?

There were three acolytes that I can be sure of (there are three loot drops). Tazok and Semaj definitely appeared. I assumed Angelo did too, but apparently it could have been either him or Diarmid (I didn't even know about Diarmid till I read this).

Semaj drops his usual loot. And there were two loot drops in one spot, including

full plate +1 (Fallorain's)

mundane plate mail (not full plate)

a broken weapon

1 oil of speed

1 potion of fire resistance

1 potion of absorption

1 potion of freedom

2 potions of extra healing

1 black opal

I'm assuming the full plate +1 was Tazok's. Perhaps the regular plate and other loot helps narrow down the identity of the third acolyte who was killed.

3) Did you kill the acolytes? If so, did anything unusual happen when they died?

I killed three: Tazok and Semaj both, definitely. Also a third who I assumed was Angelo but may in fact have been Diarmid.

Tazok came running after Imoen back to the party stationed at the door to the temple, where the battle took place. Semaj teleported to that location to enter the fray. The Angelo or Diarmid appeared on the scene as well, whichever one it was. All were killed.

I didn't notice anything unusual right when they died. However, after the three were killed and Sarevok exhibits this strange bug, the PC 'stuttersteps' as he moves. He walks about three or four steps and his body then turns to face toward Sarevok. He gets to his destination, but that's how he walks. The NPCs don't do this, they move normally. It's just the PC.

4) Did you get any non-vanilla-BG dialogue from Sarevok at any point?

Mmm, not 100% sure, but I don't think so... To be honest, the conversations fired in the midst of battle and I assumed they were all the standard ones. I kind of casually clicked through them without paying close attention.

Also, can you give me the values you get from putting the following into the console:

5) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSarevokFight","GLOBAL")

6) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWTazokTimer","GLOBAL")

7) CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSemajCast","GLOBAL")

These commands give different results depending on how far the game has progressed, and what has transpired:

1) Autosave prior to entering the temple:

"does not exist" for all three above commands.

2) Just inside the door of the temple (immediately post-autosave):

"does not exist" for all three commands.

3) Having prepared buffs but before anyone approachs the dais:

4) The save where three acolytes were killed and Sarevok is buggy:

5) However, from a save inside the temple where the party had buffed up but had not yet left the area immediately next to the door, upon Imoen then encountering Sarevok and others on the dais:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSarevokFight","GLOBAL"): global set to 2

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWTazokTimer","GLOBAL"): global set to 3

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("DMWWSemajCast","GLOBAL"): global set to 1.

And at this stage Diarmid appears in addition to Angelo (for a total of four acolytes). Near as I can tell the other SCS scripting seems to fire (I'm not sure what all is scripted, though).

It does look like there is some new dialogue added with Sarevok at this point, unless it's dialogue I have overlooked in the past. Eg, the PC suggests to Sarevok that they can join forces "to fight this evil together"; PC asserts he has sensed Bhaal's presence; Sarevok responds that Bhaal's consciousness is no more, and Sarevok seeks only Bhaal's divine power, not his resurrection; Sarevok then summons his goons.

In each case above upon entering the temple, just after setting foot inside a message appears on the dialogue/game info window that Tazok has gulped potions of fire resistance and absorption.

DavidW, I didn't look -- do you add dialogue into that battle?

I don't add anything to the pre-battle dialogue, but Sarevok says a few things after the battle commences.

Something very odd is definitely going on here.

SPOILERS:

What should happen is that Sarevok informs the party after a few seconds that he's drawing power from his acolytes and so is invulnerable. If you kill an acolyte, they should be consumed in a column of flame and replaced by a Skeleton Warrior. It sounds like this isn't happening, which is kind of weird.

I'm away for a day or two, but I'll try to sort this out as a matter of urgency when I'm back... right now, I have no idea what the problem is.

When I play from the save I mentioned above where everything fires properly, yes, the fallen acolytes do turn into skeleton warriors. And Sarevok does utter some dialogue to this effect. But somehow, in the first try I made this weird bug happened.

Perhaps the pre-battle dialogue with Sarevok that looks possibly new to me is from the BG1 NPC Banter Pack, which I also have running.

When I play from the save I mentioned above where everything fires properly, yes, the fallen acolytes do turn into skeleton warriors. And Sarevok does utter some dialogue to this effect. But somehow, in the first try I made this weird bug happened.

Perhaps the pre-battle dialogue with Sarevok that looks possibly new to me is from the BG1 NPC Banter Pack, which I also have running.

Okay, so something just blocked things from working normally that first time... still no idea what, but it could be a BG1NPC/SCS issue of some sort.

Did you beat the battle once it played properly, out of curiosity?

Yes, I did just now get a win. :)

I'm not sure if I was supposed to be able to accomplish it this way, but I resorted to luring the acolytes off the podium one at a time (except for the last one). Which I'm somewhat surprised I was able to do, given the script where enemies help one another out in most other SCS battles.

I just rationalized this mightiest gang of all had a cocky attitude by sending one warrior at a time, heh!

As I mentioned, Imoen had Non-Detection cast upon her when she approached the dais. But she'd leave shadows when she fired her bow. So I doubt that would explain why the acolytes were lurable from the podium one at a time, without others following.

I had Immy expose all of the enemies on the podium from the fog of war on her initial approach, but she did not fire her weapon. Sarevok gave his speech. I believe it was at this point that Angelo and Diarmid Dimension Doored on either side of the podium. But none of Sarevok's party pursued Imoen or left the podium, evidently because she was still stealthed and undetectable.

I took advantage of this by sending Imoen back to the rest of the party where they were stationed back by the door. And I saved the game as insurance.

I then stealthed Immy again and had her approach and expose only one acolyte at a time, firing arrows of dispelling, and luring them back to the party. I saved after defeating each acolyte (Angelo, Tazok, Diarmid, in that order--Semaj was the last one left). I can't recall exactly at what point Sarevok gave the speech about the acolytes spawning undead, but it was fairly early on, perhaps upon luring Tazok away from the dais. It could have even been immediately upon luring Angelo, my apologies for not paying closer attention to that.

The one exception to the above was with the last of the four acolytes that Immy lured, Semaj. Sarevok accompanied Semaj down from the dais, even though Imoen had exposed only Semaj on her approach.

One interesting thing to note was that when Tazok fell, I had Tiax immediately gather up his loot--and this may have prevented the script that turned Tazok's body into a skeleton warrior from firing. In any event, Tazok's death did not generate a skeleton warrior.

Finch, by then level 8, was able to destroy the skeleton warriors almost instantly by Turning Undead. So she contributed in an especially valuable way at the end. (She also nuked the battle horrors after the final save to get the PC the extra XP to reach level 9, so I could then exported him at a level higher.)

Archived