Discussion on 'Converting existing mods to the EE engine'

jastey

GAME_IS ~tob~ is only BG2: ToB. GAME_IS ~tob bgt bg2ee~ covers all possible games where you travel around Tethyr and fight the Five.

Wisp: The WeiDu readme (v234) states for GAME_IS:

(except tob will detect both plain ToB and ToB with BGT installed, for legacy purposes)
From what you wrote above, it sounded as if I could use tob to only detect plain BGII(+ToB). Which one is correct?

Another question: How would I exclude game installs at the beginning of the install - I mean, how would I prevent the installation if it doesn't detect the right game? (This is for a portrait pack that will have a separate bg(ii):ee version.

I want the install go like this: Detect the wrong game - end installation without offering to install the game. Detect the right game - go on with installation as usual, giving the [N] [Q] choice.

If I put something like this at the top of the tp2, how would I prevent the install?

ALWAYS

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee bg2ee~ THEN BEGIN

PRINT @43

<<------- I want the install to quit here by itself

END

BEGIN @14

I've got a report about a wrong item descrtiption for BG2EE. I've got an improved moonblade for Xan in my mod, O#XanIMB.itm(+4 in DLTCEP), using Moonblade as a base, new description, old item name. The player reported that the blade's name was Moonblade +3 now. Did the existing string for dialog.tlk #10223/#10224 get edited? "Moonblade +3" instead of Moonblade? :(

(EDIT: Does it mean that all swords are now called like "Short sword of backstabbing +3" instead of "Short sword of backstabbing"?)

Wisp: The WeiDu readme (v234) states for GAME_IS:

(except tob will detect both plain ToB and ToB with BGT installed, for legacy purposes)
From what you wrote above, it sounded as if I could use tob to only detect plain BGII(+ToB). Which one is correct?

Oh, right. My mistake.

Another question: How would I exclude game installs at the beginning of the install - I mean, how would I prevent the installation if it doesn't detect the right game? (This is for a portrait pack that will have a separate bg(ii):ee version.

I want the install go like this: Detect the wrong game - end installation without offering to install the game. Detect the right game - go on with installation as usual, giving the [N] [Q] choice.

If I put something like this at the top of the tp2, how would I prevent the install?

You'd want REQUIRE_PREDICATE. It only allows the component to be installed if the conditions are true, otherwise a string is printed and the component is skipped.

And another question: if a mod uses something like SOLVED_JOURNAL #19438, does this entry need an ADD_JOURNAL, too?

If the strref is already correctly listed in BGEE.SQL, it is not necessary to ADD_JOURNAL it again. However, if this is for UB, and the strref is unused in vanilla BG2EE, it may not be listed and it would be necassary to ADD_JOURNAL it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Does that mean that I cannot detect tob from the BGII-not-BGT install?

My problem is a portrait pack that would install portraits for BG1 and BGII part of the game (for BGT), but only BGII part in case it's original BGII. The portraits for the different game parts have different file names, that is why this is needed.

I can detect bgt, but how would I detect an original BGII:ToB game only?

"Inside the drow city" = #74362

"Gain the services of Sir Sarles for the temple" = #74322

"Escaping the Asylum" = #74343

"The hunt for Valygar Corthala" = #74367

I've got a report about a wrong item descrtiption for BG2EE. I've got an improved moonblade for Xan in my mod, O#XanIMB.itm(+4 in DLTCEP), using Moonblade as a base, new description, old item name. The player reported that the blade's name was Moonblade +3 now. Did the existing string for dialog.tlk #10223/#10224 get edited? "Moonblade +3" instead of Moonblade? :(

(EDIT: Does it mean that all swords are now called like "Short sword of backstabbing +3" instead of "Short sword of backstabbing"?)

Yep, all items now have the correct names and designations based on their statistics and descriptions. :)

And another question: if a mod uses something like SOLVED_JOURNAL #19438, does this entry need an ADD_JOURNAL, too?

If it's from an existing quest, no. If it's UB, as Wisp said, it will probably need adding.

A couple of quick announcements/points:

Description BAMs will not be compatible at release; this just means that mod items with new description bams won't display, and won't cause any errors. We're looking at this for Patch 1.

Hashes (#) in 2das will not be compatible at release. This is due to some of the engine improvements, and we'll also be looking at it for Patch 1.

In the meantime, 24 bit BMPs with alpha transparency are the way to go for description bams if it bothers you, and replacing # with an alternative will prevent issues with BGII:EE. As soon as I learn more/I've harried the relevant people enough, I'll update with more info on progress.

Archived