Time to start getting testers?

For the file fixes, this is easily done, and I did go through and verify the patches for v3. (Naturally the one patch I forgot to check was the last one added--trak01.bcs--and it doesn't work.) I really do think players with the fixpack will find new and ingenious ways to break things, far more efficiently than we could. We could also lure in some modders to, y'know, help us fix stuff.

Let's round up testers, with the idea that testing will begin with the next release (alpha 4). I'd like to try and get through and include the rest of devSin's fixes and shoot for a release somewhere around the end of April. How's this for a general announcement?

Topic: BG2 Fixpack Testers Needed

With the disappearance of Kevin Dorner and the cessation of activity of the Baldurdash fixpack for BG2, several modders and myself began working on a new WeiDU fixpack to address the numerous bugs that have been identified since Baldurdash. This collaborative effort, including the work of modders from several different modding communities, has resulted in a fixpack that currently includes all of the fixes addressed by Baldurdash (including the Game Text Update) and several hundred new bugfixes. The project is ongoing, and we're working through a substantial list of bugs culled from various sites and the old Baldurdash forums. The project has matured enough for us to begin soliciting testers and recruit additional modding talent to continue the bugfixing efforts.

For testers, we're seeking players familiar with the intricacies of the game and engine, and an eye for detail is a requirement. Testing will commence with our next development release, slated for late April. The tester's role will be threefold--to report any issues with existing fixes, help us confirm and replicate existing bugs on our buglist, and to identify new bugs to be fixed.

For modders, we're looking for folks that can confirm, replicate, and fix bugs. One of the goals of the fixpack is to address bugs without overwriting files, so familiarity with file patching via WeiDU is very much desired. Failing that, being able to confirm and identify the source of bugs would still be a great help.

If you're interested in helping, either as a tester or fixer, please contact me via PM. The forum is currently private and hosted at G3.

I'll need help posting this everywhere of course. :)

Oh, and for those among us that have a propensity for calling things by unflattering terms and suggesting that we include undocumented changes, now may be a good time to look through old posts and perhaps do some selective editing. :)

Archived