Tool Tip Crash

Ishad Nha

A Tool Tip Crash is caused by Composite Long Bows and looking for their Tool Tip label. Ditto Harmonium Halberd. If Tool Tip Delay is raised to the maximum value, crash does not happen.
Most items are not affected by this problem, so far it is only these two. It does not affect the item's information screen. (So far the party has a fairly limited inventory, so it may be caused by other items too for all I know.)
Crash is immediate, there are no warning messages on the console. GemRB.log seems to give no clues either.
It was not a problem in the original game. Nor is it due to a mod as far as I can tell.

It affects both of:
GemRB-nmake-vs10-v0.8.1-23-gcbfa777
GemRB-win32-v0.8.1-8-gf897b35
My computer uses Windows XP, SP3.

It may just be a fault on my computer.

When the Tool Tip delay is at a minimum, when I am in the Inventory screen, any attempt to move the cursor near the bow/halberd causes the crash. Moving the cursor would display the tool tip with the name for the bow/halberd, it seems the game can't display the tool tip.

Maybe there's a problem in the windows build. On the same save I tested with, the char has the bracers of extraordinary specialization and Jan has his custom-named bolts. Both names are longer and don't even fully fit into the tooltip background, yet no crashes.

Odd indeed!

Changing name of Composite Long Bow to "Short Bow" made the problem go away?!
I will look at the fonts then.

I altered the Fonts.2da file as follows:
9 TOOLFONT 1 NORMAL 14 0 0xffffffff
11 TOOLTIP 1 NORMAL 14 0 0xffffffff
Now the Tool Tip display is blank, it shows no letters at all. But neither does it crash. Right-clicking will still show the full information screen.

Archived