Great Mod! Here's My Wish List / Suggestions

joproulx99

Ok, but is it possible to allow some HLAs to unlock only at higher levels?

Of course. :p

Just look at the table. It has minimum and maximum level figures, the only thing is, you can only have 24 abilities, which kinda crowds the table a lots.

Next stop, the 4 part tutorial, part 1, part 2, part 3 and part 4.

I'm currently using igi's spellsystemadjustment mod(for the 1rst time) which make my spells have a cooldown depending on the level of each spells, would it be possible to give specific spell or HLA or innate abilities a specific cooldown individually? ala WoW? instead of ''once per day'' I would favor ''use x ability once per x sec/min. For example make it so you cant choose the same ability multiple times but once you get it you can use it every x sec/min/or hour etc..mmm now that I think of it if I saw some innate abilities with infinite use and I know KR make it so you cant be enraged again for x rounds so i guess it is totally possible?

It would be amazing.

indeed!

Having since learned some Weidu-fu, I can now say that this is *totally* possible to do. The HLA table limit of 24 abilities is not a problem, because you can just use mandatory background kit switches via the invisible monster trick to refresh the table with new, higher-level abilities.

obviously I have no idea what this is all about lol, but I get it that everything I'm(we) thinking so far isnt impossible to implement somehow.

that I think of it if I saw some innate abilities with infinite use and I know KR make it so you cant be enraged again for x rounds so i guess it is totally possible?

It's possible and I like it as well, since it doesn't mess with the AI if you use scalable duration for the ability.

would it be possible to give specific spell or HLA or innate abilities a specific cooldown individually?

Totally possible, I think. Just a bit of a pain in the neck because you'd have to tailor the Weidu instructions for each and every spell. You could also make compromises to reduce the workload and make judgment calls about balance: e.g. I could argue fairly convincingly that 1st-level spells should be repeatable with a cooldown, but higher level spells should be memorize-and-cast.

My own mod's very limited way of implementing this is to have cantrips - very weak 0-level spells that can be cast infinitely, with a 12-second cooldown. So a wizard will always have *some* very small reserve of magical power that may be useful, even after casting all his/her memorized spells. I've also turned some abilities, like barbarians' movement rate bonus and monks' magic fist weapons, into toggles instead. That might be more appropriate for some effects - infravision, stuff like that. I think what KR does with fighter stances is similar.

As for my idea about ripping out the kit system and replacing all class abilities with HLAs, I discussed it a bit more in-depth in @wolpak's thread here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/603883/#Comment_603883

You should go here and download the updated version for that, it has far more utility, and timer goes over the 255 limit that the original had. Yes, I coded the resurrected version. Unless you already are talking about it. :p Whehe.

Yeah thats the one I'm using. Didnt know you were the one beind the resurection, not surprised :p I almost finished SoA with it and I cant see myself playing without it! You might think I'm crazy but for sport I use 6 sec (1 round) per spell level. But I got a house rule, I cant memorize the same spell twice, unless I got no new spell to memorize. BTW sometime spells get stuck and wont recover...idk why its quite far in my install, like just before Item Randomizer and lvl1npc.

It's possible and I like it as well, since it doesn't mess with the AI if you use scalable duration for the ability.

yep thats what I feel would be the best then, so cooldown is possible, great!

As for my idea about ripping out the kit system and replacing all class abilities with HLAs, I discussed it a bit more in-depth in @wolpak's thread here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/603883/#Comment_603883

I'll take a look thx!

Another idea that come to mind is re-spec, I'm pretty sure that one is possible too lol, suppose fighter has 4 kits(including true fighter) and I add an ability that trigger a dialogue that ask me if I want to change kit so when I feel like playing a tank I ''spec'' to one, put apropriate equipment and when I feel like playing a 2h powerhouse I switch to a proper 2h kit? Could be quite satisfying gameplay just there to me.

I ask because there is a greater plan growing in my mind, some cross between bg2 and wow...and it look so possible that I'm almost tempted! we'll see I'll give it some more thoughts, modding is fun but so very time consuming heh.

Thx all for your enlightening answers :)

You should go here and download the updated version for that, it has far more utility, and timer goes over the 255 limit that the original had. Yes, I coded the resurrected version. Unless you already are talking about it. :p Whehe.

Yeah thats the one I'm using. Didnt know you were the one beind the resurection, not surprised :p I almost finished SoA with it and I cant see myself playing without it! You might think I'm crazy but for sport I use 6 sec (1 round) per spell level. But I got a house rule, I cant memorize the same spell twice, unless I got no new spell to memorize. BTW sometime spells get stuck and wont recover..

The likely thing that happens is that you gain a new level and the old memorized spells get replaced by the new ones, as after everytime you rest, there's a fixed number of spells per the level after it, so any gained after will need a new rest to recover/gain. Well until you get the Wish -spell and then you don't ever need rest. :p

6*9=> 54= 9th level spells recovery time, now the time stop lasts for 3 turns which is 3*6 seconds = 18...

54/18 => 3 ---

I will warn you that the ToB can be quite hard for you, cause the game has Time Stop spell, and if the enemy mage has a certain amount of them about 4, he can extend the time the stop is in effect indefinitely if he recovers the first before he has to use the last, he'll time lock you and you are kinda dead as the AI will never stop using the Time Stops, I wrote this warning in the thread and readme by the way...

Yeah thats the one I'm using. Didnt know you were the one beind the resurection, not surprised :p I almost finished SoA with it and I cant see myself playing without it! You might think I'm crazy but for sport I use 6 sec (1 round) per spell level. But I got a house rule, I cant memorize the same spell twice, unless I got no new spell to memorize. BTW sometime spells get stuck and wont recover..

The likely thing that happens is that you gain a new level and the old memorized spells get replaced by the new ones, as after everytime you rest, there's a fixed number of spells per the level after it, so any gained after will need a new rest to recover/gain. Well until you get the Wish -spell and then you don't ever need rest. :p

6*9=> 54= 9th level spells recovery time, now the time stop lasts for 3 turns which is 3*6 seconds = 18...

54/18 => 3 ---

I will warn you that the ToB can be quite hard for you, cause the game has Time Stop spell, and if the enemy mage has a certain amount of them about 4, he can extend the time the stop is in effect indefinitely if he recovers the first before he has to use the last, he'll time lock you and you are kinda dead as the AI will never stop using the Time Stops, I wrote this warning in the thread and readme by the way...

ok i misunderstood the part ''So, I'll warn against time limits that are less than 40 in the 9th level mage category.'' I thought 54 was over 40 and I'd be fine but I didnt know they would get 4 time stop memorized...Oh well no big deal.

no offence but you are mistaking BG2 with some other different games I think.

The fact that you can't merge barbarian and kensai is actually a very strong point of BG2 not weakness. also you completely forgot about the party members. oh, really please merge Korgan with Mazzy!!! pretty please!! LOL

different classes, kits, roles in at least 4 peeps party = good rpg game

merged classes and kits (which are kinda overpowered even in vanilla!!! cavalier for example) = wrong game

my opinion

Yeah I think you misunderstand me too but its hard to put every relevant ideas in a single post, a discussion like this is actually necessary to put all perspective in light. I'm actually against powergaming, I hate to be able to do it, and if something is too strong I would advocate to nerf it to a satistisfying level. What I meant was more about making every classes to have as many fun unique abilities ratter then making many kits with few perks each. (that was the original post though it evolved quite a bit)

With that in mind, we have started to discuss about ways to make player's choices during leveling process vs at character creation, which I find very interresting, one could build a rogue with many different abilities or have fewer abilities but stronger focused ones etc...theres quite the possiblities here.(using HLAs system)

Alternatively, an idea I like is making kits with some leveling options like above, and giving a re-spec ability usable in town or something like that. so when I feel my rogue to go assassin mode for the next trip, I re-spec him to that, and when I feel like playing him as a swashbuckler, I switch to that.(Mix of kit + HLAs + forced dialogue system)

This game is quite long, which is a good thing, but havent you ever get bored during gameplay telling yourself ''it would be cool to switch my kensai for a berserker for a while''. Then you might even restart your game to play those then get bored again etc...I dont really see rpgs like the way I used too, sure you start as a whelp and end up godlike, but what good is there to be limited by your initial choice? Challenge? This game is challenging enough for a rpg imo even more so with ascenssion/scs etc, if you dont prebuff like mad before a tough battle ''you should not know is coming'', abuse re-loading, and dont cheese then I think non metagaming plays are quite challenging, playing it in a non rpg way is the player's fault and his own problem, nothing can fix this :p. That my rogue is an assassin now or a bounty hunter later doesnt matter that much(its still a rogue) in terms of challenge imo, it would enrich gameplay, which is fun (to me).

Powergaming is NOT what I have in mind, but more alternatives to gameplay for each classes during your/my game!

Anyway in the end if such a mod is ever made, no one force anyone to use it but I would :p.

I'm looking forward to Pillars of Eternity (coming in March?). Might work on modding this one if it turns out good. Another reason I dont feel like learning to mod bg2 just yet. We'll see :)

Archived