SR V4 Open Beta (last update 25 October 2018)

I don't remember exactly what vanilla SI: Abjuration does, but I am referring to a spell that grants the caster immunity to all dispelling attempts (but not immunity to breach) for its duration, not just against the first attempt like the new dispelling screen. There has always been one spell that did have this effect in Spell Revision, up until beta v12 or so when the new dispelling screen was implemented.

Now the new dispelling screen is really too cool to be changed, so I propose to add, as an optional component of course, 'dispel immunity' to spell shield.

Ok. Spell Shield to block any kind of dispelling effect. Personally I don't like it, it overlaps with DS too much, and I don't know how AI would respond to this (I'll mark it as both SI:Abj and Spell Shield). Otoh, I do fear that new DScreen does indeed make mages suffer :D , coding this won't take longer than one minute, so you'll have it.

Next Friday I'll upload all I manage to do.

On a sidenote, having seen some latest Weidu installs from BWS; it seems that BWS users will have their install busted, since SR goes so very early in the install order. Also, it can still be installed with Spellpack. While Spellpack can indeed be installed with SR, an average user will run into numerous troubles doing so. There are many things which simply overlap, some that are outright incompatible, and quite a few Spellpack spells are simply bugged and don't do what they should (at least they were the last time I checked).

Regarding install order, it's either right before (not reccomended) or after (reccomended) Refinements.

Why not just add immunity to dispelling to Spell Trap? Spell Trap needs a buff IMHO.

Auf...Spell Trap in latest SR is litteraly a Pro Magic scroll with an added benefit - you can still cast spells through it. To bring it down you need either Spellstrike, Ruby Ray or Pierce Shield. In the absence of those three, mage is virtually untouchable by magic for it's duration. With 2+ Spell Shields memorized to protect the Trap, I don't think there's much one can do to bring this down. I don't feel this needs to be any stronger.

Spell Shield protecting vs dispels might turn out quite ok, for a number of reasons; the main being that when it comes to spell protections, Spell Shield is always destroyed first, and can be removed by any spell protection removal regardless of your other protections (like Spell Trap), even a Spell Thrust will always work.

I reckon this would make Demons slightly less game-ending for mages, since afaik only one SCS breed uses spell removals, but I may be wrong.

This doesn't bug me for gameplay reasons, it bugs me due to conceptual reasons.

I still have to check this out and how it would work with Dispelling Screen.

All good points. As I think about it more, I think it was actually Spellstrike I wanted to see buffed, not Spell Trap.

I agree, since it always seemed to me that I really want to hit the mage with Pierce Shield (which removes combat protections as well and is lower level) rather than Spellstrike. Ideas?

100% spell failure for x rounds? (1-2-3)

Deafness? (would apply 50% failure chance; which in turn causes SCS casters to stop casting completely)

Drain spells? (this would be kinda neat I think; altough it would only work with SCS - in vanilla game casters don't really use memorized spells)

All of above, or mix&match? (i.e. 100% spell failure in first round, followed by 2 rounds of Deafness, and drain one spell from memory?)

Adding a 100% spell failure for X rounds ihmo may lead to cycle-casting of spellstrike (you'll probably need 2-3 wizard/sorc in the party) to shut down a single powerful enemy caster since there is almost no way to protect against spellstrike. With 49% spell failure or so SCS mage would try to continue casting spells?

Additional Ideas:

a) Make it a (party friedly?) AoE (20' or 30'), add a remove magic effect (blocked by dispelling screen) coupled with the current effect of spell protection removal (blocked by spell shield as usual). Possibly rename the spell Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

b) As above but instead of adding a remove magic effect add a "reduce magic resistence to 0 for X (2?) rounds - a spellpierce AoE sort of.

c) both magic resistence reduction and remove magic effect on top of AoE (possibly too much?)

Adding a 100% spell failure for X rounds ihmo may lead to cycle-casting of spellstrike (you'll probably need 2-3 wizard/sorc in the party) to shut down a single powerful enemy caster since there is almost no way to protect against spellstrike. With 49% spell failure or so SCS mage would try to continue casting spells?

You'd need 2-3 casters and quite a few slots devoted to Spellstrike. It's still blocked by Spell Shield. 49% allows spellcasting, but I'd rather not put such values here. If spell failure is 100% and lasts very short (1 round?) I doubt it would be OP. I could make it's casting time shorter also, so you could use it to disrupt spellcasting. We can also add a save vs any effect we put there, if balancing is needed.

Keep in mind this is a level 9 spell. It's supposed to be very powerful.

a) Make it a (party friedly?) AoE (20' or 30'), add a remove magic effect (blocked by dispelling screen) coupled with the current effect of spell protection removal (blocked by spell shield as usual). Possibly rename the spell Mordenkainen's Disjunction.

b) As above but instead of adding a remove magic effect add a "reduce magic resistence to 0 for X (2?) rounds - a spellpierce AoE sort of.

c) both magic resistence reduction and remove magic effect on top of AoE (possibly too much?)

a) not so straightforward and imo too complicated (i.e. remove is blocked by DS, spell removal by SS). I had an idea about MD; actually have it coded when I was tweaking mage kits).

b) overalaps with Pierce Magic too much

c) ditto above. Coding this is possible, but not imo worth it.

You'd need 2-3 casters and quite a few slots devoted to Spellstrike. It's still blocked by Spell Shield. 49% allows spellcasting, but I'd rather not put such values here. If spell failure is 100% and lasts very short (1 round?) I doubt it would be OP. I could make it's casting time shorter also, so you could use it to disrupt spellcasting. We can also add a save vs any effect we put there, if balancing is needed.

Keep in mind this is a level 9 spell. It's supposed to be very powerful

A save to negate combined with a longer duration (3+ rounds) it's a good idea imo. Admittedly if the secondary last only 1 round, no save would probably be fine too. Personally I would prefer the former.

For secondary effect I'd go with 100% Spell Failure.

Edited by Wyrd

I'm gonna (finally) upload my work today, eta 10 hours from now. It will include fixes for IR as well, fully fixed (again---I hope) Deflection code and Petrification protection not working properly sometimes.

Very late but I think adding 100% casting failure for 1-2 rounds (maybe say 9 seconds?) would be good. Should be some kind of visual indicator... maybe disable the spellcasting buttons so that the player can see when casting is available again (the AI will know automatically).

Edited by subtledoctor

Very late but I think adding 100% casting failure for 1-2 rounds (maybe say 9 seconds?) would be good. Should be some kind of visual indicator... maybe disable the spellcasting buttons so that the player can see when casting is available again (the AI will know automatically).

Yeah, I'd also go with that. It kinda fits the name of the spell. 9 seconds is probably fine, but spell description which involves such expressions is sure to look bad. 1 round is much easier to handle imo. Other than that, how about save vs spell (at -2 or so) or loose 1 memorized spell as well? Or better yet, no save at all?

It wouldn't affect HLAs (they're all innates already with SR). Would this make the spell worth picking? My fear is that

1) it could be rather very effective vs AI (depends, if an enemy caster gets of a time stop he'll usually deplete his level 9 slots there; so you'd likely be wiping an ADHW from the spellcaster)

2) against some annoying enemies it's a very sub-par effect (Mellisan is immune to spell failure + she casts via script, not via memorization)

3) w/o SCS, this effect would be useless, vanilla AI usually force-casts spells that they don't ever have memorized

Ok. I haven't done all I wanted, but I said I'll send something so here it is.

Irsrfix is a minimod you can get from here. Check the readme (!!!!) before you go installing stuff. Be vary of the install order - it goes after SR but *before* SR's AoE spell Deflection component. Not nice, I know.

Before you go installing it, be sure to download this. These are some fixes for SR, just extract to your BG folder (make sure Spell Revisions is extracted there already; it will ask you to overwrite say yes). You'll need to reinstall SR for the changes to take effect. It deals with some patching stuff which is kinda akward to fix after SR's already installed. Not nice, I know. Hopefully; it should fix all know issues with looping spells, potions of Mirrored Eyes not giving protection from petrification attacks etc.

Let me know if it installs correctly, I've added some last-minute code that I haven't tested in practice.

Also, in case you're playing a EET/SoD install with IR, be sure to check out this before you go playing.

Scrap all of the above. :jump:

Added:

- more fixes to Haste_slow and petrification code (hope I AM DONE with it)
- Imprisonment permanent animation fix
- Haste reverted to AoE
- Free action spell was preventing petrification :spanking:, fixed. In addition, Free Action will no longer stop Implosion from holding you in place.
- included HLAs from KitRevisions as an optional component //( if I get the time)
- Pro Elemental Energy casting time made instant, subspell has casting time, so you don't need to cast the spell "twice"
- Flame Arrow damage slightly nerfed (save removed so it's 1d6 missile + 1d6 fire per missile)
- Waves of Fatigue buffed - it's now marked as a disable, it does what it's name suggest (increases fatigue level by "a day's worth"), it's effects are stackable, it no longer penalizes movement or THAC0 explicitly. It still has a short duration to compensate.
- storm shield now works vs inc.cloud as well and doesn't stack with itself anymore
- insect-type spells no longer panick the target, they make them berserk for 6 seconds on failed save
- priest spell magic resistance is no longer dispellable by spell removals
- Physical Mirror spell is nerfed; it can block only one melee attack per combat round (this also removes the nonsensical "you cannot cast more contigency yada yada" message)
- Same goes for wizard's Reflected image.
- Globe of Blades is tweaked to be a buffed version of Blade Barrier, doing 2d6 damage per 2 seconds and it's damage no longer allows a save
- disabling effects from Chromatic orb can now be countered by Break Enchantment
- Ray of Enfeeblement is now coded as disable, thus is counterable by BE
- Wizard spell Detect Illusion power fixed so it bypasses spell protections
- (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Trap duration set to fixed 2 turns
- workaround for Imprisonment - 1 turn after it's cast on a character, he will reapear (but will die instantly), this way having someone imprionmented no longer botches the game w/o a freedom scroll

- ditto Flesh to Stone, character will die if effect isn't cured
- Wail of Banshee has a no-save Deafness effect added, 2 rounds duration

- Wizard spell Greater Malison has a fixed 2 turns duration, in addition to lowering saves it now penalizes Luck by one for it's duration

- some smaller bug fixes and tweaks

- things such as Web (all sources) and Grease can be countered by Freedom and Break Enchantment. Tnx to Serg_Blackstrider for pointing this out.

- a fixpack for various secondary types from innates to HLAs (most of warrior and thief HLAs are no longer dispellable via breach or spell removals), charms, confusions etc.

- double-strings from spells like Breach/Pierce Shield etc. removed. If the target has no protections on, no strings are "automatically" displayed anymore

- Spellstrike now causes 100% spell failure rate for 6 seconds, then 50% for the next 6 seconds, no save

- Pierce Shield is nerfed, it no longer removes *specific* protections. It can still remove *combat* and *spell* protections, as well as get rid of Dispelling Screen.

- Moment of Prescience is buffed slightly - in addition to +20 AC vs specific weapon types, it now grants additional +10 generic AC

Big Cahuna:

EE-only stuff; 206 effects from most spells (where applicable) are removed in favor of 321 opcode EE uses. This means that you'll be able to refresh Blur/Armor of Faith/whatever w/o worrying about "spell innefective" message, duration will be renewed and spells won't stack with itself.

In addition you get this for free (tnx to kjeron), fully modified for SR.

Uploading tomorrow, midnight cet.