Opinions and suggestions for future versions

Wisp

Not really an issue, but this is some sort of suggestion for your next version of the readme:

Its a bit of an odd thing i did, and probably due to my own mistakes, but recently i had to reinstall the item randomizer for my BG2 save game:

Somehow i had managed to get the multiple stronghold component of the G3 fixpack to malfunction, which i reinstalled, which in turn did some reinstalling of the randomizer mod, after which i became unsure whether a number of items had been, so to say, unrandomized. (I found Namarra, the Staff of Curing and the Cloak of the Sewers in their original locations after this). Upon this i tried reinstalling the randomizer, without the preserving of save games. It will result in a few double items or the like alas, but that is better than everything being in its old positions.

However, from testing afterwards it seems to only randomize items of maps i havent visited yet. (For example, the autosave i loaded was from after having visited the temple sewers for resting during the small period my game was unrandomized, i found the same treasure on the Rakshasa and Draug Fea's party in the sewers, while i did find a different (randomized) item in the Bridge district where the Iron Horn of Valhalla normally is (an area i hadnt previously entered)).

This was unclear to me from the readme, so it might be a suggestion to note this in newer versions of the readme: It appears reinstalling without preserving save games results in only randomizing items for future (unvisited) areas. (This conclusion might not be full though, i wonder if the items from areas i did visit are 're-randomized' and i might find them again)

I wouldnt bother delving into what happened in my game to cause this, it seems to me that most of this is probably to my own fumbling around with the game, but it might be a good thing to know what will happen if you do need to randomize a saved game. For completeness sake though, the version of the randomizer im using is 6.1, and the weidu mods i have installed (partially) are (in no particular order): G3 Tweakpack, Widescreen mod, King Duthkas Thief, Solaufein, d0t Tweakpack and Lvl1NPCs.

Another thingy, upon checking for whether i was in a randomized game i noticed Hangards Axe +2 from Draug Feas party (Tarnor) in the sewers is not in the list of randomized items. (i checked the 6.5 readme too btw)

Edited by Toverkol
This was unclear to me from the readme, so it might be a suggestion to note this in newer versions of the readme: It appears reinstalling without preserving save games results in only randomizing items for future (unvisited) areas. (This conclusion might not be full though, i wonder if the items from areas i did visit are 're-randomized' and i might find them again)

It does say you need to start a new game after installing the mod, unless you use the option to preserve saved-game compatibility.

When you visit an area it is stored in your saved game and conventional modding has no further apparent effect on the area until you start a new game.

Another thingy, upon checking for whether i was in a randomized game i noticed Hangards Axe +2 from Draug Feas party (Tarnor) in the sewers is not in the list of randomized items. (i checked the 6.5 readme too btw)

You're right. I shall have to add it to the list.

Zal (sp?) the fastest dart thrower in the world in the BG1 part loses his bracers of archery. Isn't those bracers pretty much tied to him/this encounter?

On the other side the randomizer is a great supplement to BG1, not knowing which items to find around is making the game a new experience. Thanks for the hard work.

Cheers

Zal (sp?) the fastest dart thrower in the world in the BG1 part loses his bracers of archery. Isn't those bracers pretty much tied to him/this encounter?

I guess that's open to interpretation. As I see it, there's nothing about the encounter that doesn't work even without the bracers. Being able to back it up has never been a prerequisite for boasting. Not to mention he's trying to intimidate you into giving him your money, or that the bracers don't actually have anything to do with being the "fastest draw in the west."

I originally had this planned in some of my works, but if you are willing to do this in a more optimal way I'd have one less thing to worry about: A new component called PnP Infinite Book of Spells (see description).

My idea is that the installer would generate a truly random infinite book as per the AD&D description in the following way:

1.) first it would search through and record all valid wizard (and priest) spell scrolls in the game, which automatically covers mod-added spells

2.) the installer would generate an organized list of all valid spells/scrolls in the game

3.) the installer would generate the book (according the AD&D description) by randomly picking from the list.

-Galactygon

I originally had this planned in some of my works, but if you are willing to do this in a more optimal way I'd have one less thing to worry about: A new component called PnP Infinite Book of Spells (see description).

My idea is that the installer would generate a truly random infinite book as per the AD&D description in the following way:

1.) first it would search through and record all valid wizard (and priest) spell scrolls in the game, which automatically covers mod-added spells

2.) the installer would generate an organized list of all valid spells/scrolls in the game

3.) the installer would generate the book (according the AD&D description) by randomly picking from the list.

-Galactygon

Sounds a bit outside the scope of Item Randomiser. But it does sound like it could fit aTweaks. If you're willing to wait until my modding interest swings back up I could have a look at it then.

For BGI Tutu

An option to randomize joinable NPC starting locations would be really great.

A few cannot be moved for obvious plot reasons but for most there is no real constraints on where they need to be and many

mods both BG1NPC mod and SCS and move them already (but to non random locations).

Also it would be nice to randomize the exotic items added by the BG II tweakpack (when it is used for tutu)

and the BGII scrolls when they are added to tutu by SCS

An option to randomize joinable NPC starting locations would be really great.

A few cannot be moved for obvious plot reasons but for most there is no real constraints on where they need to be and many

mods both BG1NPC mod and SCS and move them already (but to non random locations).

It would be a bit outside the scope of the mod. I'll think about it.

Also it would be nice to randomize the exotic items added by the BG II tweakpack (when it is used for tutu)

and the BGII scrolls when they are added to tutu by SCS

Yeah, I think I can do that.

Hey there again,

Still enjoying your randomiser a lot, just stopping by to note another item i spotted thats not yet randomized: The Amulet of Cheetah Speed (Owned by Thelyn'ss in Sendais Enclave) is still in its old place.

No problem of course, just trying to help this mod be the best of them all :cool:

Edited by Toverkol
Could you add an option to randomize SoA items into ToB and viceversa and to/from the merchants?

Yeah, that's on the list.

Hey there again,

Still enjoying your randomiser a lot, just stopping by to note another item i spotted thats not yet randomized: The Amulet of Cheetah Speed (Owned by Thelyn'ss in Sendais Enclave) is still in its old place.

Yeah, that sounds like it'd be worth doing something about.

I'm currently playing the first Baldur's Gate via BGT and I am REALLY enjoying this so far. One suggestion for your next version would be Class Specific randomization For example it was very odd to find a Long sword and an Axe on Bassilus after killing him. He should have had a class specific weapons (such as a hammer). Also I don't know how NPC's work, but don't they also have proficiency with certain weapons? Would be nice if the randomizer gave them proficiency specific weapons.

I'm currently playing the first Baldur's Gate via BGT and I am REALLY enjoying this so far. One suggestion for your next version would be Class Specific randomization For example it was very odd to find a Long sword and an Axe on Bassilus after killing him. He should have had a class specific weapons (such as a hammer). Also I don't know how NPC's work, but don't they also have proficiency with certain weapons? Would be nice if the randomizer gave them proficiency specific weapons.

Maybe it was plunder? It is not like Bassilus has ample opportunity to trade in his loot.

I'll see if I can up with something, but there are certain problems.

For one, there is no guarantee there would be a suitable item available. Maybe the tier simply does not include any, or maybe the ones there were have already been randomised. This is the case with Bassilus. He need not get a random weapon, but there simply are no other weapons he can use in that tier.

As for NPCs in general, I think the mod currently tries to make the best possible use of existing proficiencies and weapons. But I may add, or may already have added, a "cheat" to alter proficiencies to suit the weapon (legal combinations only, of course).