opcode 172 'remove spell'

The IESDP says:

Removes the spell specified by the resource key from the targeted creature(s) spellbook (but does not affect spells already memorised).

Let's set aside the 7-letter vs. 8-letter distinction right now. Assume we're talking about 7-letter spells like SPWI112.SPL... is the above correct? I just tried a spell with:

opcode: 172

timing: 0 (instant/limited)

duration: 1 second

resource: SPWI112

...the spell was removed from my spellbook AND my memorized instance of it disappeared. (And, btw, it didn't come back - temporary timing does not work with this opcode. That's probably worth mentioning in the IESDP.)

Anyway if anyone has more experience with this effect I'd love some clarification.

Btw my test was on BGEE v2.3.

Pretty sure that effect has always been temporarily permanent... might I suggest that you make the spell last for a longer time... say 10 seconds, and save during that time and see if the effect is actually in the creature from the save ? Near Infinity or EEkeeper should be able to see it effecting the creature.

The effect is probably temporary; but it doesn't matter, because once the spell is not in your spellbook, it's not there. With innate abilities it might appear again after the duration expires (and maybe after then resting). But with wizard spells, at least, the expiration of the removal effect does not put the spell back.

Which is fine. I'm much more interested in what happens with memorized spells. If memorized spells are preserved, I have a method to get around the spellbook issue and it would let us do wild things with opcode 214.

Edited by subtledoctor

The effect is probably temporary; but it doesn't matter, because once the spell is not in your spellbook, it's not there. With innate abilities it might appear again after the duration expires (and maybe after then resting). But with wizard spells, at least, the expiration of the removal effect does not put the spell back.

Which is fine. I'm much more interested in what happens with memorized spells. If memorized spells are preserved, I have a method to get around the spellbook issue and it would let us do wild things with opcode 214.

I was reminded of a discussion we had about two years ago on the issue of removing innate abilities

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27796&page=9&do=findComment&comment=243100

The only duration this opcode can carry is a delay. The effect itself is always instantaneous.

The 8 character distinction is still the issue here.

If the spell is not 8 characters, it will be removed from the spellbook and all memorized copies will be removed.

If the spell is 8 characters, it will be removed from the spellbook, but memorized copies will remain intact.

So there's no way to temporarily blank out a wizard's spellbook and use it for some other purpose, without wiping out all of their memorized spells. Shame.

(Well, not without doing something crazy like cloning every wizard spell to an 8-letter version... and... hmm. I guess you could actually do that. But, I'm not sure the result would be worth the effort...)

Anyway the IESDP should probably describe this stuff a bit more clearly to prevent foolish modders like yours truly getting false hopes.

Edited by subtledoctor