Gavin - Translation?

Jenny

Hi Berelinde!

I have been recently playing Gavin in BG1 and I have to say, well done! The mod is an excellent extension of BG1.

Unless I am mistaken, there are no foreign language versions yet?

I'd offer to have a go at translating the current version into German if you're interested.

Jenny

Guest Guest_Jenny_*

Yeah, I'll put them back into a "german" folder, once the individual tras are done. Trep is a bit funny about saving files in different directories when one wants to keep the same name.

Progress Report: 40 Strings done, a few thousand (I'm guessing) left to do.

Don't thank me yet, thank me when I am done. The mod is great, it deserves to have an audience as wide as possible.

If you look in a mod folder, you'll see a bunch of translation folders that have languages for names. All the files inside them are the same, it's just the placement that are differet. You'll see setup.tra in the English folder, the German folder, etc. That's easiest for the modder to integrate, but by all means, do what's easiest for the translator!

And BG1 NPC is absolutely enormous. Wonderful people are working on translations into several languages, but translations take enormous amounts of time, especially for a mod the size of BG1 NPC.

*lol* Why exactly is there a "klingon" folder?

So, I think the penny has dropped. If I fill up the "german" folder with Tra files (containing German) that are mirroring the english folder (i.e. I don't change names), that is gonna be the easiest to implement in the end?

I'm a bit slow today.

Anyway, it is gonna be a few months of work I reckon, but I don't mind giving up some of my spare time for this. As I said, the mod is excellent and deserves to be available in different languages. I know for a fact that a bunch of people over at the German BG forum always exclude foreign language mods from thei BiG World Setup.

I'll periodically update the progress.

Translated: 119/7479 strings

Proofread: 0/7479 strings

BTW, is there a way to see the dialogue structure without playing the game? Tra files with their individual strings make translating easy but sometimes one might loose the context.

Look for 'dialogues' or 'dlg' folder and try to open files with .d extension using notepad (or it's even better if you do it with more advanced version like a ConTEXT) there you have dialogue files but instead of real text you've got @1 etc. That's the link to .tra files (this one which you're translating).

*lol* Why exactly is there a "klingon" folder?
Gavin was my first mod, and I really had absolutly no idea what I was doing. Cmorgan traified it for me, and to show me how it worked, he set up a bunch of language folders, including Klingon. I was so amused that I left it. :thumbsup:

If I fill up the "german" folder with Tra files (containing German) that are mirroring the english folder (i.e. I don't change names), that is gonna be the easiest to implement in the end?
Yes, because I can just put the German folder in the mod as-is.

BTW, is there a way to see the dialogue structure without playing the game? Tra files with their individual strings make translating easy but sometimes one might loose the context.

What Yarpen said. You might be able to use NI to read the lines, but I've never found NI to be terribly helpful there.

Thanks again for doing this. I know it will take a long time, because there are something like 7000 lines, but I appreciate the effort!

Archived