Quest Pack new random encounters plus SCSII's Smarter Mages and Clerics = some very difficult rakshasas

Lemernis

I've since uninstalled Quest Pack's 'new random encounters', and while I will hopefully not encounter any more rakshasas the human muggers are still fairly tough with SCSII's Smarter Mages and Smarter Clerics installed.

I'll share here an idea that occured to me to provide the option not to have to fight to get anywhere in the city:

First, I realize the computer game takes many liberties with the Forgotten Realms setting to begin with. But according to FR canon (Lands of Intrigue) the city of Athkatla appears to be a relatively safe place to walk around in. It is true that Athkatla is rife with seedy activity, and that the law is for sale there. But even though corrupt it is stable, and few would dare cross the real powers there. Between the powerful merchant families and the Shadow Thieves, this sort of constant mugging on the streets wouldn't be tolerated because it would drive merchants away and harm trade--and Athkatla is first and foremost all about keeping its business enterprises thriving.

These ambushes would make much more sense as part of a pay-off system to a sub-guild of the Shadow Thieves. The PC might buy 'protection' to avoid this sort of constant mugging.

I think it would be kinda neat to see introduce a bribery system that allows the party to avoid those fights. Maybe a new NPC placed in the Slums district who works for the Shadow Thieves can offer to sell 'protection' from street ambushes. Make it cost a pretty penny too! (maybe 5000 gp?) This character wouldn't come right out and state that he's a Shadow Thief because they're a secret organization. But he could say that those who purchase such protection will enjoy the support of a feared organization in the city.

Anyway, just a thought. It really does get to be a pain to have to fight a battle just when traveling between any two maps in the city.

Archived