dispel vs. break vs. restore vs. pierce etc.

subtledoctor

SR goes a long way toward standardizing and systematizing what effects are subject to being dispelled by DM, what effects can be dispelled by Break Enchantment, what can be dispelled by Pierce Magic, etc.

But, it's still not obvious to some players, especially newer ones. What do you guys think about adding some kind of visual cue - probably something with color - to more clearly show what type of effect you are under.

Or maybe something with status effect portrait icons...

But, it's still not obvious to some players, especially newer ones. What do you guys think about adding some kind of visual cue

I have been asking a visual list for years... the status cue is that it's not ever coming. :p:devlook: Let alone an in-game visual effect, dream on man.

@subtle what do you mean? Adding a different color palette over the affected creature depending on the ongoing buff/debuff? I actually removed ProEvil one because it was ugly and annoying... :unsure:

Yeah, but that's not very specific buff. But say like Protection from Magic/(spell class) could create sphere/belt/whatever of different colors depending on what is protected against. So you won't need to read the combat log 200 lines before you know that you didn't see what it was cause fireball killed a few dozen peasants as a distraction, like it usually likes to. :devlook:

Also might be good to make the size to indicate what is to be removed first... So if it's Magic Trap ... well, make it really big, while Armor can be skin deep, sphere of protection go in there middle, and so forth. And invisibility make the creature disappear with all of it's effects, so ... unless it's not a proper invisibility and the player can cast all the hell on top of the not actually invisible target area.

Isn't that... what this forum is for??

Another idea:

EDIT - sorry, the below might be based on outdated information. Ignore.

be a bit more systematic about what *kinds* of spells are dispellable by what counter.

Like, lump Bad Luck effects, Enfeeblement, lowered MR, Doom/Malison, and similar effects be considered Curses. Stuff that can be "dispelled" should be effects where you are actively under the effect of a current spell or enchantment - Buffs, plus Hold, Confusion, etc. (Polymorph could theoretically fit in either category.)

I know it sounds like I'm suggesting something that SR already does... but I guess my point is to determine it based on the kind of effect, rather than based on the spell itself. If that makes sense. It might make things a bit more intuitive.

I think I get it: Break Enchantment dispels a certain type of hostile spell, and those spells apply a color "wash" on the affected creature, so by seeing the color on the target, it's easier to determine what type of counterspell will remove it.

Could experiment with opcodes 52 & 53 to see which settings and colors are best suited for this (I also hate the disco light pulsing glow of several spells). Also need to determine what the categories are, and which spells fall under each.

Precisely. Like, a red tinge for all Curse effects - i.e. anything that can be cured by Break Enchantment. Maybe a purple tinge for poison effects. Maybe a green tinge for anything that can be fixed with Cure Disease. Etc.

Basic Dispel Magic could be the default, not requiring any color.

I'm just saying, you and I who spend a lot of time on forums like this, might just remember. But most newer players have no idea how it even works in the standard vanilla install - much less with a mod like this whose short description is basically: "like that, but a bit different and better."

Precisely. Like, a red tinge for all Curse effects - i.e. anything that can be cured by Break Enchantment. Maybe a purple tinge for poison effects. Maybe a green tinge for anything that can be fixed with Cure Disease. Etc.

Ooohh, I like that!

Ooohh, I like that!

I'm not fully convinced but if it's a light tint maybe it could be useful. I'll think about it.

Edit: don't hold your breath for it though, my current to-do list is even longer than it was when I "left". ;)

I'm not fully convinced but if it's a light tint maybe it could be useful. I'll think about it.

Well if it's only the "bad" effects, it would be more useful and thus also requires less work. Well... Also say red glow could be the character is on fire, and blue could be it's freezing, gray it's being petrified (options... ). Of course those would need to be long lasting, that can be healed to fix, no 2 second ups the chars dead now -kind.

Archived