Drowified NPC Portraits

Caedwyr

Well, having spent several hours trying to convert the NPC portraits to drow versions I'm going to offer the idea around for anyone who cares to attempt the feat. It'll be a long time before I gain the skill to edit the photos to my satisfaction and someone else may want to complete the idea long before I get around to it. These portraits would be substituted for the original when the party has the drow illusion cast on them by Adalon and reversed when they turn back to normal.

Well, having spent several hours trying to convert the NPC portraits to drow versions I'm going to offer the idea around for anyone who cares to attempt the feat.  It'll be a long time before I gain the skill to edit the photos to my satisfaction and someone else may want to complete the idea long before I get around to it.  These portraits would be substituted for the original when the party has the drow illusion cast on them by Adalon and reversed when they turn back to normal.

Its a good idea in theory but how would you convert Jan? You'd need a drow portrait that doesn't look like a gnome but does have Janish qualities...

Ummm... hmm.... Do you think we could get away with claiming that Jan, Korgan and Mazzy are just horribly disfigured Drow and are part of the reason the group was forced to flee Mezzobazaren? :D I actually have a Druegar version of Korgan but the problem with him not being a Drow actually hadn't occured to me. I guess to do a proper job would require a slight bit more work than I first considered.

Oh well, if anyone takes a fancy to this, please go for it.

I'm also fascinated by the idea of having drow portraits replace the real portraits for the time players spend under Adalon's spell. Yes NPC's like Jan and Korgan would be problematic, but I don't think that it's undoable. A pity that my skills with photoshop are less than agreeable.

-Meira

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know if any other non-elf NPCs would be any easier than Jan since a human does not look like an (drow) elf if you just paint his/her face black...

Still I would be all for it if mod like this would be made.

Good point about the Non Elf NPCs needing changes to their portraits. What would probably be best is for someone to use the original portraits as a base, much like how BGII portraits are normally done from scratch, and then Drowify them.

Well, we've got it all planned out. Now all we need is someone with the skill and inclination.

What about the main character's portrait? By now, there are probably thousands of portraits that someone could be using :D

As for the actual editing; I'd give it a try if I could, but at the moment I don't have any image editing program whatsoever. Can you wait until I've saved up enough to buy Painter, and a graphics tablet, and preferably Photoshop and a new computer, too (that should only take five years or so. Four if I leave out the computer)?

I don't think they need to be specific to the character--after all, Adalon is trying to make the party look like the group of Drow she dispatched, so at most you would need 6 generic male drow portaits and 6 generic female portraits. The hard part would be restoring the correct portrait to the PC. There's no way to determine what portrait they were using, so there's no guarantee that you'll restore the correct one. :D

I've got quite a few drow version of the NPCs (though not all of them). I'll round them up and post them, and then perhaps some talented artist can fill in the gaps of the ones we're missing. Offhand, I think we're missing Minsc, Jaheira, Nalia, and Imoen.

Actually, I think Anomen is missing a drow pic, as well. Now I'm beginning to wonder just who all *did* have drow portraits... heh. I know for a fact that Aerie, H'D, Cernd, Korgan, and Jan had them. Argh. Most of the one I have were obtained here: http://thedragonlair.unforgottenrealms.net...e98886701adb793 , but I do have a few others from different places on my hard drive. Looking at that page, there is one that would pass for Imoen, especially if someone could alter her hair a bit more.

@Camdawg: You are right when you say we don't need portraits that resemble the NPCs, but from a players perspective it would be a lot easier to just have the NPCs drowified rather than having to figure out who is who with a whole new set of portraits. The PC is definately a problem. He/she could either be left alone, or replaced with a gender specific default drow portrait.

The Edwina portrait would need a drow version as well. Luckily Saerevok and Yoshimo don't need drow versions.

@Camdawg: You are right when you say we don't need portraits that resemble the NPCs, but from a players perspective it would be a lot easier to just have the NPCs drowified rather than having to figure out who is who with a whole new set of portraits.  The PC is definately a problem.  He/she could either be left alone, or replaced with a gender specific default drow portrait.

Well thats not the problem. The problem is restoring their old portrait afterwards!

How does the program know which portrait to change Aerie's too after her transformation?  Seeing how that is done may give some ideas for this case.

Well thats easy coz it just casts a spell that assigns Aerie's portrait to the character with death variable 'Aerie'. However since Charname's portrait could have ANY filename it won't work.

Archived