Drowified NPC Portraits

Caedwyr

Go ahead, I don't mind at all.

I originally did that one because my PC is usually half-elf and would outlive Anomen by several hundred years. Also, I was annoyed by the roll of skin around his neck, so I removed it.

Domi said drow have a pitch black skin, but they look like crap if I use that color.

These look good, especially the skin colour. I always disliked the dark brown, violet or otherwise discoloured drows. Deep black with a hint of steel blue has always worked best IMO. But perhaps you would like to alter the background - clouds in a blue sky are not very appropriate. :rant:

-Meira

I seem to remember that the Drow are able to grow facial hair. I've seen a lot of pics of male Drow with mustaches. I'll check the books when I get home, but I don't think you need to shave the lads just yet..... :rant:

I can't find anything to support the "elves do not have facial hair" complaints. The best descriptions I can find are these:

Drow have black skin and pale, usually white hair. They are shorter and more slender than humans, seldom reaching more than 5 feet in height. Male drow weigh between 80 and 110 pounds, and females between 95 and 120 pounds. Drow have finely chiseled features, and their fingers and toes are long and delicate. Like all elves, they have higher Dexterity and lower Constitution than men.
Drow infravision is so intense that their eyes actually radiate heat; someone viewing a drow through infravision sees two burning eyes atop a normally glowing torso.

Personally I like the colours that khayman is using and, apart from the ears, I don't believe the portraits should be altered beyond re-colourization. It is possible to go too far, the portraits will end up not looking like the NPCs at all if you mess with them too much. As there can be such things as heavily built, overweight or even bald (Jarlaxle) drow I don't see any reason alter them more.

Good point, I totally forgot about Jarlaxle.

The ones who still need ears are Keldorn, Minsc, Valygar and Jan; although Jan is going to look terribly creepy, unless he can go as a Svirfneblin and if they have dark skin too.

UPDATE:

Their skin is rock-colored, usually medium brown to brownish gray, and their eyes are gray. Male svirfneblin are completely bald; female deep gnomes have stringy gray hair.

Perfect!

Although I surely won`t make the poor bastard bald. :rant:

Jan gets a drow body like the rest of the group, though, so it might not make a lot of sense to make his portrait look like anything else.

(a thing that just struck me: if making the party look like drow is an illusion, wouldn't that lead to some inconsistencies with the little people... er... the vertically impaired party members? Say, if Jan or Mazzy are attacked while in drow form, and the attacker swings at their heads, would the swing just pass through the illusionary drow head, or would it somehow be redirected to their real heads? And if Jan casts a magic missile, that apparently materializes at the same level as his hands, would it look like that drow was casting the spell from... no, let's not go there...)

(a thing that just struck me: if making the party look like drow is an illusion, wouldn't that lead to some inconsistencies with the little people... er... the vertically impaired party members? Say, if Jan or Mazzy are attacked while in drow form, and the attacker swings at their heads, would the swing just pass through the illusionary drow head, or would it somehow be redirected to their real heads? And if Jan casts a magic missile, that apparently materializes at the same level as his hands, would it look like that drow was casting the spell from... no, let's not go there...)

Yes, this would be found out quite shortly in the heat of battle. But, we all know there are some inconsistencies with BG II as it is.

As for casting the magic missile...OUCH.

In looking through Races of Faerun, I can't find anything that says anything about any elven races facial hair - whether they have it or not. I think the reason we think they don't have facial hair is the fact that pictures show them as not having any.

With regards to Jan, just drowify him, is my opinion. It's an illusion created so the party can gain entrance to Ust Natha for intelligence gathering. The only time you'd have to fight would be if you're too slow getting out of the city after the demon thing. And by that time, your cover is blown anyway.

I have been told by Icelus to report this - I have been working on the same idea myself! I have completed five so far - Anomen, Imoen, Aerie, HD and Edwin - removing the beards was difficult, but not impossible, and I am proud of the way things have turned out. As to the Korgan, Mazzy and Jan problem, I have decided to make Korgan into a duergar, and Jan and Mazzy into Svirfneblin due to their size. If the person who has been working on this here (I think it is Khayman) would like to collaborate and to check my versions, my email address is nereda.armstrong@bigpond.com

I have also changed their backgrounds and armor/clothing colours to look more menacing - dark reds and purples etc. I would really like to be included in this, as I have put so much work into my version without even knowing that this one existed!

Archived