Revised Amelia Test

AstroBryGuy

Hello all,

I've noticed that several of the issues with Coran's Succubus Quest appear to stem from a fear of the Amelia encounter. So, people try to short circuit the encounter (force-attacking Amelia after laying traps, etc..) which causes the quest to hang due to the quest variable getting stuck at a certain state (and unable to increment since Amelia is dead).

Amelia is a pretty tough opponent for a 4th-5th level party. Her defenses are quite impressive: -6 AC (-2 natural + 19 Dex), elemental and magic resistances, spell resistances, spell bounce, and very good saving throws. Her offensive capabilities are very good too: dire charm once per round, 7 THAC0, 2 attacks per round with level drain, ability drain, HP drain, and saving throw penalties on every hit. Plus, when you do manage to damage her, she goes ethereal (invisible) for 4000 seconds and heals herself. So, I thought I'd try to tone down Amelia.

Here's a version with the edited Amelia. It's not in my main branch yet. I wanted to see what opinions were of the changes first. She can still be a tough battle, but it's doable by a mid-level BG1 party. Low-level parties will still likely have a problem, but that's consistent with the rest of Firewine (i.e., Kahrk, Lendarn, etc..).

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/archive/amelia-edit.zip

Please post any comments on the revised Amelia here. Thanks!

A summary of my change to Amelia:

1. Her AC and THAC0 are way beyond those of PnP succubi. PnP gives a THAC0 of 15 and an AC of 0. So, I went with that.

2. Saving throws also now follow PnP guidelines, using HD as level.

3. Amelia is listed as a 9 HD creature, but succubi have 6 HD in PnP. I changed her to 6 HD.

4. It's supposed to be the kiss that does level drain. So, I removed her level and energy drain on hit. Instead Amelia now performs an "energy drain" (temporary ability score, HP, saving throw penalties) like Kirinhale in Durlag's Tower. It's done as a spell-like ability (with a saving throw) with a range of 1. No level drain at all.

5. Spell bounce is gone. Magic and elemental resistances are as PnP, so they remain.

6. Etherealness at-will remains, as per PnP, but the healing powers are removed. She now uses etherealness for combat, rather than to run and heal

7. I gave Amelia a new combat script, inspired by Kirinhale's.

8. In PnP, succubi are supposed to be able to summon another demon to their aid. Since Amelia is supposed to be cut-off from the Lower Planes, I didn't think this was appropriate, but maybe she can call on a former lover victim for aid? ;)

9. Rather than have Amelia look like a Fire Elemental in combat, I thought she'd look good with WINGS! BGEE includes Erephine's 1PP Wings animations, so I used that. For Tutu/BGT, I'd like to include the Wings .BAM files with BG1NPC, if possible, but I can keep the Fire Elemental transformation on those platforms.

NewAmeliaWings.png

Haven't tested the build, but all changes look perfectly reasonable!

Regarding #8, that'd be cool, and could possibly include some dialogue (or monologue) from Amelia?

Regarding #9, please try to make sure there's wings on BGT too! :D

Regarding #8, that'd be cool, and could possibly include some dialogue (or monologue) from Amelia?

I haven't added dialogue for #8. Maybe have her say "Rise my pets!" That's how she refers to Coran and Natan.

It is my hope to include the wings for all platforms. If I can't redistribute the .bams, I can always put in code to detect them, and if they exist, to install the "winged" version of Amelia. So, at worst, Tutu/BGT installs would just need to install 1pp Wings first.

I haven't added dialogue for #8. Maybe have her say "Rise my pets!" That's how she refers to Coran and Natan.

It is my hope to include the wings for all platforms. If I can't redistribute the .bams, I can always put in code to detect them, and if they exist, to install the "winged" version of Amelia. So, at worst, Tutu/BGT installs would just need to install 1pp Wings first.

That was exactly the kind of line I was thinking of! Thumbs up.

Archived