.EFF targeting in the TOB engine

subtledoctor

I want to add an effect to spell protections, that uses an .eff to detect whether a Abjurer is casting it, and if so, use opcode 146 to also cast Spell Shield.

When I look at BGEE in Near Infinity, I can have an .EFF effect (opcode 177) and set the parameters to "KIT (9)" and "Abjurer (64)" then I set the referenced .EFF file to use opcode 146 to cast Spell Shield. Easy-peasy.

But when I look at my TOB/TobEx install in NI, KIT is not among the listed possibilities for parameter 1 of opcode 177. There are CLASS, GENDER, SPECIFIC etc. and then "unknown (9)"

Can you not use KIT values for opcode 177 in the TOB engine??

I was looking at a TobEx-modified game in NI. It's possible NI just didn't recognize it, and it would have worked if I coded it blind. But, it seems unlikely, and I don't have enough time for extensive testing. So I just used a clunky workaround on the old engine.

When I look at BGEE in Near Infinity, I can have an .EFF effect (opcode 177) and set the parameters to "KIT (9)" and "Abjurer (64)" then I set the referenced .EFF file to use opcode 146 to cast Spell Shield.

But when I look at my TOB/TobEx install in NI, KIT is not among the listed possibilities for parameter 1 of opcode 177. There are CLASS, GENDER, SPECIFIC etc. and then "unknown (9)"

It's possible NI just didn't recognize it ?

The NI is not programmed to read what mods you have installed (and then bring it's assertions based on that to it's Graphical User Interface, it's programmed to read and interpret as much of the games data as it can), it can set values to whatever, will they work in game as you intent them to, is then a question you'll have to find an answer yourself. The reason the 9 is unknown is, it's not defined in the data libraries(.dat file, nor the configuration files).

Does TobEx support kits for IDS targetting? I haven't found anything in the Readme.

The NI is not programmed to read what mods you have installed (and then bring it's assertions based on that to it's Graphical User Interface, it's programmed to read and interpret as much of the games data as it can), it can set values to whatever, will they work in game as you intent them to, is then a question you'll have to find an answer yourself. The reason the 9 is unknown is, it's not defined in the data libraries(.dat file, nor the configuration files).

Thanks to the new game ID system I have implemented into Near Infinity, I can easily add support for new game types (e.g. BG2-TobEx) without much effort as long as there are safe ways to detect them. The question is whether TobEx adds enough new features to warrant a new game type. The majority of TobEx-specific features are either automatically detected (e.g. new script triggers and actions) or already implemented into the vanilla BG2 game type (e.g. new flags in various resource types). Kit support for IDS targetting is probably the only feature I had to determine specifically for TobEx (if it's actually supported).

When I made a .spl to use TobEx's "increased damage by type" to make my Purifier kit do extra fire damage, I had to code it blind, with reference to the TobEx documentation and that one item mod that uses the effect. All the fields in NI said "unknown." So yeah it would be really nice for NI to recognize it.

But, I have no idea whether it would be worth the effort. Especially since things are moving toward the EEs. (If they move everything to the IWDEE engine, and add Concentration Check, and release Adventure Y, and k4thos gets EET working.. I'll finally give up BGT for good.)

Archived