What is the Tabiya Project?

Barren Fischa

First off, let me extend a huge thank you to CamDawg for providing this forum space, and to Bri for nudging me into asking for it. :D

Now let's see.  What is this Tabiya project?

It centers around a new NPC, called Tabiya, a female paladin who would be a romance option for either male or female protagonists, with the romance track varying for either gender.  Don't get me wrong, Solaufein is all well and good, but I think a male and a female should be romanced quite differently, and I intend to portray this in my mod.

Now, I don't like the standard mindset of thinking of paladins as self-righteous tin-cans that think with their swords and not their hearts.  Tabiya will break that mold rather well, I think.  She's a paladin of Sune Firehair, which should shake things up a little. I do dearly love stirring people up a bit. No stuffy suit of armor her, no sir.

Secondly, and perhaps the most defining trait of all, Tabiya will fall.  I want to fully explore with her module what happens to a paladin who loses her faith, the struggles and anguishes that she will go through as she seeks redemption.  Or perhaps, if the protagonist is truely an evil person, he can choose to further corrupt Tabiya, turning her into an antithesis of her former self, a creature who revels in the darkness of her nature.  

As an aside, I'm also of a mind to have Tabi be an NPC/NPC romance option for Viconia if she (Tabiya) is twisted to evil, and possibly Anomen (or a different NPC should a suggestion be made; I do like the idea of the girl getting some lovin' even if the PC doesn't feel up to the challenge of romancing her) if she retains her good orientation.

Questions?  Comments?

Actually, I think the Nocturnal Supremacy mod plans on exploring the whole "fallen paladins" concept...

If Tab is worshipping Sune (a chaotic goddess), how did she get accepted in the Order? And more importantly, why did she want to join? She sounds like a Holy Liberator rather than a Paladin...

Will she still fall if she is romancing a good aligned PC who urges her to follow a lawful or good path?

Yes, though the PC and his or her companions may encourage her to seek and eventually obtain redemption for the actions that cause her fall.

If Tab is worshipping Sune (a chaotic goddess), how did she get accepted in the Order? And more importantly, why did she want to join? She sounds like a Holy Liberator rather than a Paladin...

Well, first off, Sune is the *one* chaotic diety that does indeed have paladins.  The order she is a part of isn't the Radient Heart, but rather the Brothers and Sisters of the Ruby Rose, an organization of Sune's followers.  It's composed of not only paladins, but also warriors, priests and bards.  Tabiya's father is a member of the Ruby Rose, and also a paladin.  Tabi grew up among them, and wanted nothing more than to follow in her father's footsteps as a paladin.  I've currently got her kitted as an undead slayer, a kit that I can see working for a paladin of Sune, as she is dedicated to wiping the vile undead from the beautiful face of Faerun. :D

Sounds very interesting. Differing romance tracks for males and females is gonna be a LOT of work! Don't exhaust yourself! Will Tabiya fall if CHARNAME doesn't romance her?

Now, I don't like the standard mindset of thinking of paladins as self-righteous tin-cans that think with their swords and not their hearts.

A new perspective on paladins, an excellent goal. In my PnP games, few people play paladins, mostly because of the stereotyped image they have. Have you ever read the Elenium, or the Tamuli by David Eddings? I think he presents some unusual "paladin" characters. Might be good for stealing a few ideas.  :D

Differing romance tracks for males and females is gonna be a LOT of work!

Aye, I know it, but really, would you think a man and a woman WOULD be wooed in the exact same way?  I think not. :D Besides more options are always a good thing in my book.

Actually, I have read both the Eleniad and the Tamuli trilogies, but I'd not thought about looking to them for ideas.  I'll have to run off and peruse my bookshelves again. :D  Thanks for the tip!

Aye, I know it, but really, would you think a man and a woman WOULD be wooed in the exact same way?  I think not.
Absolutely. You could save yourself a bit of hassle and duplicate some stuff, but for the most part I suspect you've just leapt into modding purgatory. :D

Besides more options are always a good thing in my book.
Again, absolutely.

Actually, I have read both the Eleniad and the Tamuli trilogies, but I'd not thought about looking to them for ideas.  I'll have to run off and peruse my bookshelves again.   Thanks for the tip!

No problem. I always thought that the "I'm a holy Knight and now I'm going to torture you to death unless you tell me what I want to know" thing was an unusual, but fitting thing for a paladin to do, in certain circumstances.

Keldorn always struck me that way. A warrior for virtue, but not ignorant of the ways of the world.

This sounds promising. I've always thought that something interesting could be done with paladins, and it seems like you've gone and done it  :D

I'm also interested in seeing how the fall and possible redemption turns out, especially given the information in the Stats and Such-thread, about her more or less growing up in a paladin order.

Anyway; good idea, and good luck.

JPS

if the pc is really really evil, would she fall all the way tword death knight status???  i mean further tempting her into doing unspeakable atrocities and evil things...her epilog could reflect that after the throne, and the evil pc ascended, she fell even further and became that most feared and hated creature, the deathknight...

It centers around a new NPC, called Tabiya, a female paladin who would be a romance option for either male or female protagonists, with the romance track varying for either gender.  Don't get me wrong, Solaufein is all well and good, but I think a male and a female should be romanced quite differently, and I intend to portray this in my mod.

Now, I don't like the standard mindset of thinking of paladins as self-righteous tin-cans that think with their swords and not their hearts.  Tabiya will break that mold rather well, I think.  She's a paladin of Sune Firehair, which should shake things up a little. I do dearly love stirring people up a bit. No stuffy suit of armor her, no sir.

I think this sounds like a very promising idea. Two questions:

Will she have voicing?

Will she be designed to seem like an original part of the game?

Archived