IWD2NPC FAQ

1) What is IWD2 NPC Project?

IWD2 NPC Project adds talkative joinable NPCs in IWD2.

2) Will it be Just like BG2?

Not exactly. IWD-series are coded differently than BG-series, so there are certain pluses and minuses for character development. Please, read on as I list the differences.

3) How the Party will be handled?

You will have two options – either importing the full pre-created party of 6 NPCs which will appear in your party selection menu as “Nord’s Company†or you can select “New Partyâ€Â, create your Protagonist and add 5 NPCs. You will handle NPC join in and drop out via Import/Export.

4) If I create a Protagonist, will I see banter with him/her?

That’s the whole point. Yes, your Protagonist will be treated just like Player1 in BG series. However, unlike BG series you will need to keep him or her in the first slot in order to see the PC dialogues (ie you can move him back for a while if it's needed to win a battle, but for dialogues to trigger s/he has to be the First)

5) Will the Protagonist have a Biography?

Yes, your Protagonist will have a background that the NPCs will refer to. IWD2 being IWD2, you can over-write it, but it will not sway the stubborn cast. The background is not overly intrusive though.

6) What kind of Banter will I be able to see?

The main four types of banter: inter-party generic banter (NPCs talk to NPCs); scenery banter (NPC commenting on the events or interjecting into existing dialogues); Friendship Sequences with PC; Romantic Sequences with PC.

7) Will the project be Phased?

I am not sure how I am going to release it – I would prefer to release the whole thing, but I work in Phases to better manage the workload. Phase I are NPC-NPC Banter and NPC-PC Friendship Sequences; Phase II are Scenery Dialogues and Phase III are Romantic Sequences.

8) How many characters are/will be added?

Ten characters.

9) I have a wonderful IWD2 NPC idea! Can you add it into your mod?

I’d like to finish the basic pack of ten before talking about any other NPCs. But please feel free to take a look at how the project works, and create an NPC that will banter with my characters as a separate mod.

10) Do you need any help?

Very much so, and of all sorts. Please refer to the Help! Thread.

11) When it's going to be publically available?

It's available now from G3 downloads page.

12) Will there be an IWD1 NPC pack after IWD1TUTU is finished?

I personally have no plans to develop it, but if IWD2NPC works, there is no reason why someone wouldn't want to develop something similar for IWD1, either TUTU or vanilla.

13) Can I create more than one custom character?

Not without tweaking. The dialogues with Player1 unfortunately only works if you have one custom created character (or tweaked another custom created character with NI to have a different script name) and he remains in the first slot.

14) Can I use custom content (soundsets, portraits) for my own characters?

Yes, you definetly can. Two quorks though:

-you cannot preview a voice set from the character creation screen (though it will play in-game)

- installing the module causes lags on some systems in some areas.

Edited by Domi
Guest Linny-binny

hi! ;)

I've heard that you can have NPCs join your party in IWB2 and i'm wondering: is it true and if it is HOW? I mean, how and where do you find them.

Because my IWD2 only lets me create my own players and there's no romances or anything between them really (you can just write that blabla and blabla are married or something in the biography which dose NOTHING during the actual game).

So um.. i'd like some answer pwweeease!! :(

Preciate it!

when you need help, SHE always knows what to do ???:(

A question has been bugging me for some time but couldn't find the right place to post it...well, don't kill me, but I noticed this thread a couple of days ago (silly, silly and blind me :))

About the biography...will we see all the old ones dependent on our class or will there be new ones? Or all characters will get only one (the one Salomeya is refering to in the screenshot teaser, about the PC being a child of a paladin)?

Asking because it seems fairly important if the NPCs are going to refer to it, and I have no info about it (nor did I play a paladin in IWD2 so I don't know what biography do they get).

Errr...well, that's all I guess :)

It's here:

5) Will the Protagonist have a Biography?

Yes, your Protagonist will have a background that the NPCs will refer to. IWD2 being IWD2, you can over-write it, but it will not sway the stubborn cast. The background is not overly intrusive though.

ie PC's will have a background, just like in BG1/2 your background is that you are a child of Bhaal raised in Candlekeep by a foster father, a sage named Gorion, with the girl Imoen for a friend. It does not preclude your PC being any kind of class or race, and will not overwrite your normal in-game biography, but will be added to your Journal during an early on dialogue. The background also leaves as much room for PC personality as possible. I needed the background so NPCs could target something about the PC, not just go at length about themselves. I suppose one can do more backgrounds and alter the character talks later on if desired (ie do what BoiWARE is trying to do in Dragon Age), but that's well beyond my planned scope of work.

P.S: Salomeya means that you are paladin's child on that screenshot, not a paladin yourself. The wording was changed, she does not use paladinling any longer. :)

Edited by Domi
P.S: Salomeya means that you are paladin's child on that screenshot, not a paladin yourself. The wording was changed, she does not use paladinling any longer. :)

Oh, I am quite aware of that. I was just wondering if all player characters will have the same background - being a paladin's child. Because a tiefling/drow/half-orc/whatever-comes-in-mind-that-doesn't-fit-to-be-a-paladin is not likley to have a lawful good knight as a parent :)

Guest jastey*

Don't shoot me, in case you answered this question (a hundrets time) somehwere else. Actually I realized only recently (yes, it's embarassing!) that this project is for IWD2, not 1. Might I ask the reason? Was it engine limits, or just your personal preference? Actually I thought when hearing about IWD NPC project that it was intended to go through IWD 1 and 2 :cry: *runs*

-jastey

Was it engine limits, or just your personal preference?

Personal preference; I love the gameplay in IWD2 - imo the best implementation of 3ED rules before NWN2, and I don't think I can play vanilla IWD1. I also liked IWD2 story and its modding potential much, much more than that of IWD1. Oh, and Vlad dabbles in transfering IWD1 into BG2, with his own NPCs, so it has been done to a degree already, and I wanted something completely uncharted.

Actually I thought when hearing about IWD NPC project that it was intended to go through IWD 1 and 2 *runs*

I don't see why. The game specifically states that there are two different parties. IWD1 is tackled by mercenaries from Eastheaven; IWD2 - by Luskaners. There is also a significant lag in time between the two games, it's not like BG1 - BG2 and ToB, that directly follow one after another. So all the stories of my NPCs start at the beginning of IWD2.

Whoever wants to do an IWD1NPC project, will need to come up with a different cast :cry:

Out of sheer curiosity, what exactly makes people think that it would be spinning both dales? I thought the title was inambigous.