Protagonist can die

Blash2

I think i was one of the ones that originally requested something like this (or it was that mod to auto resurrect if ressurect is available, end game if not). Pity about the dialog bugs, i was expecting biff the understudy to take over without problems.

I wonder if the feature can be brought into the EE engine.

Edited by SCO

Is this mostly safe to use if you keep in mind that you shouldn't "finish" a battle with CHARNAME dead? I mean, if they die and are resurrected before a cutscene happens, things will be okay? You can just reload a save either way, but I'd like to get rid of those annoying "about to win and then oops, charname dies accidentally and it's game over" type of defeats.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:29 PM, K4thos said:

What the tweak currently does:

1. sets bit4 flag to all ARE files:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.are$~ ~override~
    READ_BYTE 0x14 "flags"
    WRITE_BYTE 0x14 ("%flags%" BOR BIT4)
BUT_ONLY

2. Adds code to global script that triggers Game Over normally if tweak is disabled, player1 is chunked or whole party dies:

IF
  Global("K#DISABLE_PC_CAN_DIE","GLOBAL",1)
  StateCheck(Player1,STATE_REALLY_DEAD)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    GameOver(19377)
END

IF
  OR(3)
    NumInPartyAlive(0)
    StateCheck(Player1,STATE_EXPLODING_DEATH)
    StateCheck(Player1,STATE_FROZEN_DEATH)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    GameOver(19377)
END

@K4thos to remove point 2 ("2. Adds code to global script that triggers Game Over normally if tweak is disabled, player1 is chunked or whole party dies:"), how do I have to modify the tp2 file?

Edited by Blash2

Hello everybody.

Thanks to @K4thos for the original tweak, to the suggestions gathered, to me bothering everyone (lol) but most of all to @Roxanne completing the job, we have a new "Protagonist can die" tweak.

The new tweak:
- is compatible with the 2.5 releases and of course EET;
- makes the game end ONLY when everyone in the party is dead, regardless of charname's condition.

Just to better explain, my game didn't end even with charname chunked. I could revive him in a temple and of course I had to modify his appearance with EEKeeper. 

Enjoy! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar7egyefm39m8o2/Protagonist_Can_Die_V93.zip?dl=1

EDIT: Charname can be petrified, imprisoned (level 9 wizard spell), mazed (level 8 wizard spell) etc.: gameover cutscene does not play, ever.

Edited by Blash2
On 4/23/2020 at 7:12 AM, Blash2 said:

Hello everybody.

Thanks to @K4thos for the original tweak, to the suggestions gathered, to me bothering everyone (lol) but most of all to @Roxanne completing the job, we have a new "Protagonist can die" tweak.

The new tweak:
- is compatible with the 2.5 releases and of course EET;
- makes the game end ONLY when everyone in the party is dead, regardless of charname's condition.

Just to better explain, my game didn't end even with charname chunked. I could revive him in a temple and of course I had to modify his appearance with EEKeeper. 

Enjoy! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ar7egyefm39m8o2/Protagonist_Can_Die_V93.zip?dl=1

EDIT: Charname can be petrified, imprisoned (level 9 wizard spell), mazed (level 8 wizard spell) etc.: gameover cutscene does not play, ever.

Blash2,

Is the new tweak (v93) compatible with BGEE?

Looks like the .tp2 requires BG2EE or EET:

BEGIN ~Protagonist can die~
REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ ~This component is not compatible with your game~

On 2/15/2022 at 5:24 PM, Chitown Willie said:

Blash2,

Is the new tweak (v93) compatible with BGEE?

Looks like the .tp2 requires BG2EE or EET:

BEGIN ~Protagonist can die~
REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ ~This component is not compatible with your game~

It's made for EET, so it requires EET..

It shouldn't be hard to get to install on BGEE, but I have no idea how to do it honestly.

Imprisonment and petrification remove the character from the party - and that's built into the effects. You're not going to prevent those from causing Game Over unless you fully remove the special status of player 1.

Maze only causes game over if player 1 is the only character in the party. Consider that a hazard of playing solo, much like charm. And if you're playing solo, a "protagonist can die" tweak isn't going to help you at all.

The best you're going to get: use this tweak, and you're on the honor system if player 1 dies normally.

Edited by jmerry