"I can't do THAT!"

Kania Blade

He is half elf, half demon :)

If you want any NPC to react quite differently to vampirism, he is the right choice.

Being elf he might hate vampirism, being demon he might resist it somehow, being in love with the PC might give him enough reason to backstab Bodhi.

While I do not argue that Haer'Dalis can have the motivation etc, I would be reluctant to use the 'elvishness' as any sort of explanation for his behaivour.

Even a classical FR half-elf is not an elf, like Elrond the Half-Elven in Tolkien. Elvishness is defined by the connection a full elf to his community and to the communal Elven spirit... half-elves do not have it.

They are a separate race. Besides, we know that Haer'Dalis was not raised by the Elves in an Elven community. he is a Sigilian, and Sigil has the least 'elven forest like' feel of any setting. It is a place without plants, without wildlife, that exists in the artificial and crazy world - built on a rim of the ever expanding and collapsing ring hanging over the tip of the Infinite Spire of the Outer Planes. It is a place of acid rains and ash showers, it is a place that always changes.

Haer'Dalis is a Tiefling, a Doomsguard (a philosophy which is cross to the elven typical love of memories, eternity and eternal) , and a Planewalker, so not exploiting his uniqueness, but instead trying to justify his behaivor by something that he is definetly not is a tad wasteful.

Kish, that's another one of Bioware meets the lore; I thought too that Haer' was a proper tiefling, but as Kania quoted earlier he does seem to state that he is half-demon (unless we take his words to mean that his mother was half-cambion or something to that extent):

Aye, he IS a tiefling, but I just quoted only his own words -

" I am a tiefling: I am a half-elf and while my father was of the fair folk, my mother was no human." 

Word to word. :)

Kish, that's another one of Bioware meets the lore; I thought too that Haer' was a proper tiefling, but as Kania quoted earlier he does seem to state that he is half-demon

No, he only says his mother "was no human."

If she was a cambion, she was no human.

If she was a tiefling--and she was certainly at least that or Haer'Dalis wouldn't be one--she was no human. She may not even have had any human blood. (I wonder if a half-halfling/half-fiend could reproduce with an elf?--in any case, "no human" leaves the vast majority of the humanoid races of Faerun.)

(unless we take his words to mean that his mother was half-cambion or something to that extent):

A half-cambion would be a tiefling. :)

I haven't quite decided what to do about this yet, but here are a couple of things to keep in mind, in no praticular order:

*More options for the player is always a good thing, and I can see the need for an alternative way to solve this for characters (or should that be players...) who really, really can't bring themselves to kill Haer'Dalis.

*Your character doesn't know that there's a cure. It's supposed to be a dramatic moment where you have to destroy the person you love in order to save him, as well as yourself, and you're not supposed to know that it's only temporary.

*The whole situation is ripped from Dracula. How much less original can your vampire subplot get? (Er... I'll go into details if somebody asks, but then we should probably mark this thread as containing potential spoilers for people who haven't read the book)

*I'm not particularly interested in any alternative solution that makes Haer'Dalis look better than the other characters. That seems to rule out any situation where he is able to control his vampirism due to his unique heritage, undying love for the main character or seriously good hair. There should be another reason, and it should ideally be established long before the actual encounter so the whole thing feels natural to the player. Fortunately, I have a solution already :)

*A Doomguard would probably find it terribly romantic to be killed by the person he loves, but would be kind of upset about being ressurrected. Just to put things in perspective...

So yes, there will be an alternative way out if this, but only if you have played your cards right earlier in the romance.

You mean if we have the "Romantic path"? Oh, I truly HOPE I haven't misunderstood! (What else path could I personally have?) But if it is "Romantic path" he is no more a Doomguard, as I remember? (Maybe that is Charname, who will unleash all her Bhaal's power, but for a *good* purpose to throw away all the vampiric taint from him? Just an idea...)

I haven't read... *jumps* tell me, tell me, tell me!!! :borg:

Hey, but Dalis is SURELY much-much better than any of NPCs!!!

I understand only that I do not understand anything...silly me. :band:

... wait! Spoilers?! But if I'll be translating all the texts, I'll know what is all about... You mean I'm fired?? :)

PS

Kish, no halflings, NO HALFLINGS! There are NO nice blue hair on his legs!! :D

Archived