Playing BGII for the first time!

jastey

Now that I have the English game version, I am enjoying my first original walkthrough. Most thing that astonishes me: The English soundset! I am a person that recognises voices of speakers, actors and singers no matter where (I cried once I recognized Anomen's German voice speaker speaking a heartbroken male in another game :) ). So, normally, I am tormented if voice sets change, as it happened for Imoen from BG1 to BGII.

But, in this case, all I can say I am overwhelmed by the original soundsets so far. Minsc's is quite similar, his speaking is unique in his way anyway. Jaheira - where does she get that accent from? She didn't have one in the German version. Her voice is darker, and she sounds older.. a lot wiser. Very fitting. And Imoen's BGII voice is a charm. I love her voice, and suddenly, I love Imoen again! In BGII! I hated her for her soundset and the funny portrait in BGII, and originally thought she is a shapeshifter when she first approached my PC. Now it's like... Yes, you are my sister, and I won't let you down! We only need to do something about your hair!

Only drawback is Anomen's voice. I haven't met him in this run through yet, but I heard his soundset... I fear I will miss the voice I heard him speaking in the first time.

Well, that's the thing: I don't like Imoen's personality, so anyone associating with her is... well, you get the idea.

But wait till you hear the original voice of Irenicus! Oh, but you have already, haven't you?

Guest jastey*

berelinde: I think so yes... I fell in love with him basically due to his soundset. Kudos to the German voice actor, which I don't know the name of... His voice is low, sincere, and of very comforting tune (if these are the right words to describe it).

Not to offend anyone, but in comparison, his English voice sounds like that of a - jerk.

But give me some time. Maybe I'll change my opinion after the first lovetalks. :)

-jastey

But wait till you hear the original voice of Irenicus! Oh, but you have already, haven't you?

The first time I heard the voice, I immediately recognized it as Ra's al Ghul from the old Batman animated series. The problem with great voice actors like David Warner is that once you strongly associate their voice with a character it's (initially) a bit jarring to hear them voice a different character.

I have the same problem with the principals in the Legacy of Kain series--I'll hear a voice in another game and think 'hey, it's Raziel!'

Probably why there are so many who don't like Anomen because of his jerk like voice. I think the voice actor does the voice of Sponge Bob or some goof of a cartoon character.

I think it's a testament to just how unattractive Anomen's voice sounds that you actually get a chance to comment on it when you first meet him. ("Where did you get that ridiculous accent" and so forth.)

Quite a lot of Anomen's reputation comes from that voice. The way those lines are delivered in it just magnifies the contempt. It's a triumph of the voice actor's art.

And I originally remember David Warner from Time Bandits (if anyone remembers that one) where he played Lucifer, so he pretty much slotted prefectly into Irenicus for me.

And I originally remember David Warner from Time Bandits (if anyone remembers that one) where he played Lucifer, so he pretty much slotted prefectly into Irenicus for me.

Ahhh, Time Bandits. Those days of innocence, gone by.

I think it's a testament to just how unattractive Anomen's voice sounds that you actually get a chance to comment on it when you first meet him. ("Where did you get that ridiculous accent" and so forth.)
You are right! Now that line makes actually sense (because he has an accent in the English version, I think). He has none in the German. so I I thought "what a rude question!" when playing the first time. :)

Really, I think I can be happy they maintained Minsc's accent when doing synchronisation. :)

gertjanvh: Yes, all films are synchronised. But there are cinemas that show the original movies as well, fortunately. ;)

Archived