Unearthed Arcana presents Might & Guile: tweaks and kits for warriors and rogues

Hmm, I've really neglected this thread. The current version is 2.8. The main thing that's been added in the last few months is an early version of my proposed "Rogue Class overhaul." So far it focuses on thieves. It strips out most kit and class abilities (like backstab bonuses, traps, poison, etc.) and turns them into choosable feats. Then it adds various new feats, like melee fighting tricks, bonuses to thief abilities, and Use Scrolls/Use Wands. Each kit gets access to a few special feats in addition to a set of basic ones; the trueclass thief gets the widest selection, making it potentially a more interesting kit. Everyone gets 3 feats at level 1, and another feat every odd level up to 19th.

It also adds a new thief kit: the Alchemist, which gets a few special feats relating to potions and chemistry.

Finally, recent versions have added psionic powers into the mix, 5 powers each in 4 disciplines: Telepathy, Telekinesis, Pyrokinesis, and Biokinesis. Unlike magic, psionic powers are powered by your personal energy; they can be used at will, but cost temporary reductions in max hit points. Trueclass thieves can choose to learn powers from one discipline; a new warrior kit and thief kit (the Soulblade and Psypher, respectively) can learn powers from multiple disciplines.

This mod has been updated to v 3.0. Bugs have been fixed, called shots have been revised, psionics has been revised, and all of the various pseudo-feat-systems have been overhauled and combined together. Now they use a flexible dialogue-based system that is cleaner and less prone to bugs.

Also there are now eight psionic HLAs for use by the Psypher and Soulblade kits.

More info here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/832213/#Comment_832213

Sorry Giann, I hadn't seen that post. I never played GURPS. Only ever played BECMI and a smattering of 2E, then just read the books on occasion, then played Baldur's Gate.

Most of my mod stuff is grounded in 2E source material, but adapted for functional use in the IE engine. That's more or less the entire design philosophy...

My friend tried to start a sniper (IWDEE multiplayer, we both have same components, no other mods), and put proficiency points in longbows... Only to be unable to actually use them. Are they supposed to be unusable? Or should he not be able to put points there?

Also, not so much of a bug I don't think, but do you plan to add Barbarians to the feat list? I started one only to be very disappointed when I didn't get any on levelups. I guess I can make a berserker and choose relevant feats, but I'd prefer to just make a barbarian if I could.

Longbows by default aren't usable by thieves (of any kit), I believe. So the error is probably in letting Snipers be proficient in longbows.

I have an update nearly ready, I'll add this fix. In the meantime, don't put any proficiency points into longbows. Probably best to EEKeeper yourself a point in some other weapon.

As for feats: here's the deal. Trueclass fighters are weaker than every fighter and ranger and paladin kit. Not just weaker, but more boring. Plus the trueclass fighter is generally set up as a warrior powered by training and discipline. Feats are set up as combat and leadership techniques. Whereas a barbarian gets Rage, and damage resistance, and immunity to backstabs, etc. Those things are the barbarian's feats, and they are all much stronger than what I've given to fighters.

So short answer is, if you want to play with feats, give up Rage and DR and play a fighter. The longer answer is, I could theoretically extend feats to barbs and zerkers etc., but first I would strip them of their existing kit abilities, and turn them into feats. So you would have the chance to build a traditional barbarian, or you could choose different feats to make a different build, but there would be an opportunity cost.

Longbows by default aren't usable by thieves (of any kit), I believe. So the error is probably in letting Snipers be proficient in longbows.

You sure about that, and then there's no Ashes of Embers -style tweaks which allows all of this things, with stat requirements... that can then be removed from the items but not from the kits, by another mod. Welcome a larger than 1 mod installs.

Well,

1) This player can install Ashes of Embers then, and use longbows. Except wait I'm 99% sure Ashes of Embers is not compatible with IWDEE.

2) If you're so concerned with Ashes of Embers then maybe that mod can update itself to be compatible with the EEs, and with other kit mods.

I live in a 'more than one mod' world... Ashes of Embers does not. Unless and until it decides to modernize, that's their problem, not mine.

Edited by subtledoctor

Well,

1) This player can install Ashes of Embers then, and use longbows. Except wait I'm 99% sure Ashes of Embers is not compatible with IWDEE.

2) If you're so concerned with Ashes of Embers then maybe that mod can update itself to be compatible with the EEs, and with other kit mods.

I live in a 'more than one mod' world... Ashes of Embers does not. Unless and until it decides to modernize, that's their problem, not mine.

I told you "style" tweak, did I not ?

AoE is the oldest... but there are several that use the very same type functionality. That's what a style is.

If you mod is installed after any other mod, and your mod breaks perfectly working tweak, then you should look into how AND WORRY if that happens, not the other way around !

@Mike, and ?

Jarno, show my an example of my mod "breaking a perfectly working tweak" and I'll address it.

Honestly all this does is add a kit that can reach a higher level of specialization in a weapon it can already use - exactly like the Swashbuckler. How can that possibly break anything? What are you even talking about, besides throwing unwarranted shade?

Back under your bridge, you.