Set Traps

wolpak

Is there any way to give Rangers skill points in Set Traps? I ask this because I just tried a simple spell that increased Set Traps by 10, cast it a few times and had him try to set a snare and it failed. I know Bards get set to 100 for HLA traps, but is it feasible with a Ranger?

My mod gives this ability to rangers. Check out the Stalker abilities in v3.2 (kit code in scales_of_balance/components/300_warrior_tweaks.tpa, skill-adding .SPLs in scales_of_balance/misc/) or the Harrier abilities in v2.8.

I successfully set some traps with a Harrier in IWDEE so at least I know it works.

I try again later, but I pumped the ranger up to 40 in it and it still failed at level 1. Sadly, Rangers don't get set trap in their character record.

I'd like to scrap the percentage, but unless you give thieves 100 right off the bat and somehow tell people not to add any more, I don't see how it is really feasible. I don't mind giving Rangers like 5 per level. Barbarians too, but that's a different story.

Or just scrap the whole silliness of traps working or not based on percentage, and have them always work but with scaling efficiency.

I agree 100%. I should make this a component of my rogue-focused mod.

I try again later, but I pumped the ranger up to 40 in it and it still failed at level 1. Sadly, Rangers don't get set trap in their character record.

Setting it to 40 means they will fail 3 out of 5 attempts, by design. I set my Harriers to 40 at 1st level, +3% per level after that, and I successfully set traps in Dragon's Eye, so what, level 5? So about 55% at that point? (I also failed a couple tries - as I should have.)

Isnt there a requirement level to set a trap and not just a base percentage for each? Like, set snare at level 1, that would suck if my rouge had 15% in set traps and was only successful 1 out of 6 times. I thought that set snare had a threshold of like 20 or something. Am I understanding the way set traps works wrong?

Or just scrap the whole silliness of traps working or not based on percentage, and have them always work but with scaling efficiency.

This.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure that this is possible in both bgee and vanilla. I think I have done it in both. Really, though, the best way to test is to just set the skill to 100%

Archived