Feedback

Mike1072

I've moved your post here has the Item Index topic should be left untouched (it was open only because I still have to post wands).

Regarding Celestial Fury's Batto, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use it in a fight? If not, is there some way of making it automatic, to avoid having to manually (and tediously?) having to activate it yourself for every fight?
It as a very small area of effect centered on the wielder, thus activating it at enemy's sight isn't a good idea. If you find it tediously don't use it for every single minor fight. I could have just made it usable X times per day, but in PnP there's no such limit, as just drawing the sword from the scabbard activates it.

You racist pigs :) , from the descriptions there seems to be no multiclass caster armors(+1 to casting speed) for Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves&Half-orcs... or even normal speed armor for them. Yes, I know that the small minority cannot have them, the mages, but that might change.

Also as the chain armors aren't usable by pure mages, it means that they are weaker in the casting speed respect too until they get the Robe of Larloch(, in ToB :) ). So it would be nice to have the speed bonus(+1) in the Robes of Archmagi, or to some other item that would fit for them. Another idea would make the RoA Armor Class 3(plate armor) or even 2, but that might balance it badly. But you could make the robe magically enhanced, so the mage couldn't wear it and the +1-3rings, this is all dependent that I assume it's right that, the armors are made none "magical" by one of the components("Items of Protection Can Be Worn with Magical Armor").

Can you make the flail of the ages sellable? You can sell tons of other family relics, vendors accept everything from holy avengers to cursed scrolls, so it would be just for coherency.
Actually Carsomyr isn't sellable either, and considering that sword is worth 30.000 gold it is a good thing, even though stores would give you only 30% of that sum. From a roleplaying point of view, a merchant who's able to identify the FoA won't buy it from you, as that weapon is a beacon for Rakshasas, which are far from being good customers. :) I've never thought too much about unsellable flags, I suppose I've just left them as they were. Now that you mentioned it, things like Ring of Gaxx shouldn't be sellable too...am I wrong? I don't have a well-established opinion on the matter, suggestions are welcome.

You racist pigs :) , from the descriptions there seems to be no multiclass caster armors(+1 to casting speed) for Gnomes, Halflings, Dwarves&Half-orcs... or even normal speed armor for them. Yes, I know that the small minority cannot have them, the mages, but that might change.
Normal "spellcasting" armors for gnomes or halflings are Karaja's or Shadow Armor, those races tend to be rogues much more often than warriors. Dwarves and half-orcs almost never take the wizard career, and surely they shouldn't be able to wear elven chain mails (as well as the little ones).

Also as the chain armors aren't usable by pure mages, it means that they are weaker in the casting speed respect too until they get the Robe of Larloch(, in ToB :) ).
The only armor with 'casting speed bonus' is the Bladesinger armor, which is found at the very end of SoA, and currently Robe of Larloch is still available with the bonus merchants unless you install the respective component of SCS. Anyway you have a point.

Robe of the Archmagi

I've just noticed that it currently misses one PnP feature which isn't easily reproducible here, the wearer can overcome target's magical defenses more easily (-20%/-4 magic resistance/saves in AD&D, and +2 to spell resistance checks in 3.5 edition). What about adding a sort of aura which reduces opponents magic resistance and or saves? Obviously it shouldn't be a killer ability, thus something like -10% magic res and or -1/-2 to saves. I've just come up with this idea while I was searching the manuals looking for robes, don't insult me if it's lame and or overpowered. :D

But you could make the robe magically enhanced, so the mage couldn't wear it and the +1-3rings, this is all dependent that I assume it's right that, the armors are made none "magical" by one of the components("Items of Protection Can Be Worn with Magical Armor").
It doesn't work like that. IR's armors actually have correct enchantment levels flagged, items that can't be worn together with rings/amulets of protection are listed in a .2da file.

Sword of Chaos: I'm sad to report against it because I enjoyed my kensai playing with it for the whole first half of soa but it's really too powerful. It already comes early in the game but the vampiric effect bypassing stoneskins proved to be unbalancing and not much realistic either ( but neither is vampires draining levels through stoneskin so let alone realism ). I can't remember Sarevok having a life drain attack in BG1 either so what about changing it to:

Sword of Chaos +1

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to fear and charme effects

Combat Abilities:

Axiomatic: +2D6 additional damage against creatures of lawful alignment

THAC0: +1 bonus

Damage: 2d6 + 1

Not usable by: usual restrictions and lawful creatures

A less damaging but still useful approach, the chaotic version of Lawgiver+1 that's found early too.

Both immunities were present on the original Sarevok afaik, or only charme was but the fear is introduced by the npckit component ''give Sarevok a proper deathbringer kit''; together they are as useful as Lawgiver's immunity to confusion being chaos/confusion more common spells than charme/fear in scs mages arsenal so I don't think this will prove unbalancing.

It could be left +2 if you think that being a 2handed weapon it should have a higher enhancement, anyway it already has two immunities and with Lilacor around players are still going to have a high enhancement sword.

Greenstone Amulet:

It hasn't been changed and I wonder why, considering you're removing all charged items substituting that with a x/day ability.

That would already be a general improvement in its usefulness, and something that would prevent swap ( wear it, use a charge, give to the nearest party member, rinse, repeat while pausing the game and have whole party protected :p ).

Its special power is lacking a portrait icon so it's hard to determine when it expires.

What about a generic persistent immunity ( a 'weak' one, like charm ) and a 1/day immunity to the remaining effects for 1 turn?

Sword of Chaos +2

Its current status is only a placeholder, and I don't like it at all. I've just "replaced" the original effect with its standardized SR's version. Do you know Sarvevok's original powers, or better which power his sword was supposed to have?

I've thought too about something related to chaos, precisely the axiomatic effect you are suggesting and a % chance to confuse on hit effect. I may agree with the immunity to fear too but I would avoid immunity to charm, as Lilarcor already grant it and it would reduce the Helmet of Charm Protection's appeal too. Obviously I'm not suggesting to use all these things together!

I would probably leave its enchantment level at +2 with another +2 enhancement bonuses from abilities, but considering how soon you get it I'm not sure. Currently its total enhancement bonus is +4 like most 2handed weapons in early-mid SoA, but Vampiric effect is probably one of the most useful +2 effect in IR. Generally I've tried to keep most early SoA 1handed weapons around +3 total enhancement bonus, and 2handed weapons at +4, thus if we make it only +1 enchanted it may be discarded too soon. I'll think about it and post my suggested solution in the "plans for future release" topic asap, in the meanwhile if you have any other suggestion you're welcome!

Greenstone Amulet

I've just added the Mind Shield's icon, sorry. I'm not sure about making it once/day, the Mind Shield effect is extremely powerful...but "the wear it, use a charge, give to the nearest party member, rinse, repeat while pausing the game and have whole party protected" surely bugs me! :p I'll think about it.

It was a plain magic greatsword in bg1, nothing special, so a assiomatic effect or some immunities are ok because the player has no way to recognize these abilities from BG1 in-game rolls; being charme and fear two immunities already present on Sarevok in bg1 but missing in bg2 one could suppose it was the sword ( or the missing armor ) granting him those.

Sarevok had some magic resistance too, but that was clearly related to his armor.

If you give the sword to Sarevok, with Ascension installed, it becomes +4 and drains 4(or 5?) hp.

In unmodded ToB Sarevok doesn't recognize it.

There already are greatswords of berserking so one more isn't recommended.

There already is the greatsword Joril's Dagger that causes confusion so that one should be changed before implement it for the Sword of Chaos, anyway I don't remember Sarevok causing confusion.

With Lilacor protecting vs confusion and fear immunity being really too weak alone, can you implement a immunity to ability drain?

Hi!

Belm +2

Combat Abilities:

Speed: +1 attack per round

THAC0: +2 bonus

Damage: 1D8 + 2

Usable by:

Monk

Ranger

Notes: I've restricted its usability but I'll undo it if many players can't play without this weapon in the off-hand.

I just read this. I'd prefer Belm to be usable by Jaheira also (she comes with profs in scimitars).

Agreed there's no need to impose those limitations to Belm, with Kundane being a better off-hand weapon if you want that one more attack.

There's one item in bad need of a revision: the Rod of Terror ( loot from the lich at the gate )

Rod of Terror

When activated, this rod may be used as a staff +3. Any creature hit by the rod must make a saving throw vs. spells or flee in terror, fearing the wielder as if he or she were a flesh eating demon from the Abyss.

There is a drawback to using this rod, however. Each time the rod is used there is a 20% chance that the wielder loses one point of Charisma permanently. SHOULD THE WIELDER'S CHARISMA FALL TO ZERO, THEY WILL PERMANENTLY DIE.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: Target must make a saving throw vs. spells with a +4 bonus or flee in terror for four rounds

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 1D6 + 3

Damage type: crushing

Weight: 3

Speed Factor: 1

Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff

Type: 2-handed

Not Usable By:

Monk

The ability is crap, running after enemies is not fun, and with a +4 save is very weak too.

The permanent loss of charisma, up to the point you die for stats draining, makes this weapon unuseable.

The item is lacking a proper background too, so freedom to choose any sort of effect if you had some unused ideas :p There're many 'defensive' staves for mages that grants a bonus to ac/saves/mr... already so something like a passive power that curses enemies ( like the doomplate, but with different penalities ) would be nice.

Archived