The Sensuous Permission-Free Crossmod Banter Author

jcompton

I'm surprised it took nine pages for someone to get to that point.

Building an addition, and redistributing something wholesale, are two very, very different things. I don't ask Bioware permission to mod--but then, I don't run a torrent of BG2, either.

Guest a question
I'm surprised it took nine pages for someone to get to that point.

Building an addition, and redistributing something wholesale, are two very, very different things. I don't ask Bioware permission to mod--but then, I don't run a torrent of BG2, either.

Yeah, but as DavidW pointed out in Wounded_Lion's thread, modding/redistributing BG2 and modding/redistributing mods are a bit different because one's illegal and one's not. I don't know, just seems a little off to me.

Guest a question
It seems perfectly straightforward and symmetric to me.

Don't redistribute.

Do adapt.

Yeah, but you use the idea that redistribution is bad for mods because its bad for BG2 to justify your position. And it's kinda hard to do that without giving strength to a lot of what WL said in the other thread. But whatever, I don't want to fight.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts as well, though I haven't done any serious modding work myself.

I tend to agree with Jason's analysis, but I wanted to point out two objections nonetheless. Firstly, if crossmod content suffers in quality because the two modders involved try not to step onto each others toes too much, what does it say about the individuals involved?

I mean, I'm all for politeness and showing respect for each other, but even if someone is to write some content the original NPC writer doesn't agree with, that shouldn't have to lead to tension or alienation between two people. Whenever someone releases something they wrote to the public, more specific, to the respective communities, complete control cannot be enforced. Firstly because, like others have said, one is unlikely to successfully take legal steps. But, in my opinion more importantly, people should trust the community to maintain quality when writing for someones NPC. Sure, there is always a chance someone writes something that is a bit out-of-character for any given NPC they haven't created themselves, but then again, it would be best for all parties involved if the crossmod content be of the highest possible quality, so why not just give the people the trust and room to deliver that kind of content.

Second, and I realise I have been heavily influenced by what is now known as the polder model, I do not think one editor would suffice here. I would suggest putting together a team of people who are known to write the best dialogue and whom are trusted by most modders to accept or reject submitted content and, if necessary, edit it. If I was ever tempted to write a NPC, I would feel much more comfortable to leave it in the hands of two or three experienced editors as apposed to just one editor. Just keep this team small, you really only need two or three editors, any more people and we might be facing more of the same reasons why Jason proposed his editor idea in the first place.

Archived