The Sensuous Permission-Free Crossmod Banter Author

jcompton

... trail of edible goodies

Possibly, but they'd get soggy floating on the ocean. Unless you prefer virtual goodies, of course.

I can't say I'd be sorry to see some changes, but I'm confident that whatever you guys work out will be cool.

Maybe some people need to be dragged kicking and screaming into a more sensible reality, then. Because I assert that the only "control" over "their" characters in this respect is that which other people allow them to have. It's not theirs to demand.

I don't know about that: Sillara's Tsujatha is copyrighted, so, legally, she's able to do anything up to stopping Tsujatha's fanfic/crossmod. And, knowing nethrin's temper... (here, I had a quote somewhere... oh, no, it's worse than a lunch invitation. Forget it. :thumbsup: )

I don't know about that: Sillara's Tsujatha is copyrighted, so, legally, she's able to do anything up to stopping Tsujatha's fanfic/crossmod.

Eh. By Cam's pay-to-play reasoning, her marginally published status is more reason to use her characters without consultation, not less.

This is really, really not a legal issue, for reasons Cam and others have explained.

tell me that you genuinely believe the material in CBP is as good and as extensive as it could be?
Don't know, but it's written from the NPCs' authors, and I assume that they know better what their NPC would say than one writer for all.

I am all for open up NPCs to other writers, I just fail to see how one editor would make it so much better.

For the purposes I originally brought this up for, forget the editor. The editor is unimportant. A reasonably patient primate can publish their own banter pack if they wish. My point is encouraging people to get past the "Mine!" culture when it comes to characters.

As for the stance "creator is best writer for character", there are countless counter-examples in television, film, and I daresay even our own knitting circle.

As for the stance "creator is best writer for character", there are countless counter-examples in television, film, and I daresay even our own knitting circle.

Winner - to the studio!

That aside, Crossmod's been operating under "permission only" since 2004 - for years much like BG1 NPC. So, saying "Hey, you can now add a Kivan-Angelo romance" pretty much equals opening BG1 NPC for submissions from the general public, up to making Shar-Teel a half-dragon and Xan or Ajantis - a rapist. Or just saying "yes, you can add seven lovetalks to Dynaheir romance, sure enough". So I really don't see a radical change here.

That aside, Crossmod's been operating under "permission only" since 2004 - for years much like BG1 NPC. So, saying "Hey, you can now add a Kivan-Angelo romance" pretty much equals opening BG1 NPC for submissions from the general public, up to making Shar-Teel a half-dragon and Xan or Ajantis - a rapist. Or just saying "yes, you can add seven lovetalks to Dynaheir romance, sure enough". So I really don't see a radical change here.

Such submissions will be possible if we change XBanter's submission rules or create a new mod with the rules that JC is setting forth as an alternative. The role of JC's uber-editor/project lead/insane overlord would be to (rightly) reject submissions like these for quality reasons, not to sit by and let the content go down the toilet.

Such submissions will be possible if we change XBanter's submission rules or create a new mod with the rules that JC is setting forth as an alternative. The role of JC's uber-editor/project lead/insane overlord would be to (rightly) reject submissions like these for quality reasons, not to sit by and let the content go down the toilet.

That's why I'm saying changing rules for Crossmod Banter Pack won't do, because NPC mod authors, me in particular, submitted the banters to Grim, who is

1) more or less a neutral figure;

2) didn't change any of it;

3) the mod is already known as the work of the NPC mod authors.

And just an example: if, say, you change it, and me and Ace write a Xan-Auren banter, we'll no longer be able to submit it - it'll go through someone whom I may possibly be considering a terrible writer.

So, I'd much rather leave CBP itself alone, because it will mean deceiving the authors who've already submitted material there, myself included.

And because changing CBP submission rules will create a bad precedent: I definitely don't want to see, for example, a Xan-Imoen romance in BG1 NPC Project and my name close to it.

Perhaps I should provide some context for my remark, then. I was talking with Grim about a way we could seek permission from the existing contributors to change to a free-for all submission system. I'm not proposing that we do something as monumentally stupid as change the rules on the contributors in mid-stream, for the exact reasons you've laid out. However, if that could be accomplished it'd make more sense to continue with XBanter than Community Banter Pack #17.

Since it's unlikely, the discussions with Grim were moot.

And because changing CBP submission rules will create a bad precedent: I definitely don't want to see, for example, a Xan-Imoen romance in BG1 NPC Project and my name close to it.

Have you looked at the BG1NPC credits lately? You couldn't find anybody's name in there short of a SQL query.

Have you looked at the BG1NPC credits lately? You couldn't find anybody's name in there short of a SQL query.

Like being a Global Moderator or Admin at SHS, I think participation in BG1 NPC has become a rite of passage for new modders. :thumbsup:

Heh. :thumbsup:

By the way, what's funny is that very few NPC modders are actually talking here in this thread. Me, naturally, jastey, of course, I've seen theacefes posting, and Domi, very briefly, and someone told me jcompton created a mod NPC, though I didn't believe them, but - there's over a dozen of active NPC mod authors, some of them CBP participants who hasn't added a "free-for-all" line to their NPC descriptions. I'd rather hear more of them(speaking seriously, and with sincere curiosity).

Archived