IWD Fixpack v1 Available

CamDawg

The Icewind Dale Fixpack is designed to fix several bugs and errors that remain in the game after the official patches have been applied. It works on with or without the expansions Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster installed. In fact, many issues quietly fixed by Heart of Winter or Trials of the Luremaster have been rolled back to every version of the game.

This originally started as a component of the IWD Tweak Pack, but was broken out in to its own mod because 1) it's gotten fairly extensive on its own and 2) it should be installed right after the official patches whereas the tweaks should be last installed.

Changelog

• Split from the IWD Tweak Pack v11
  • Documentation completely revamped and expanded
  • Dialogue fixes for Gaspar, Hjollder, Valestis, and Bandoth recoded to preserve original response order
  • Added fixes beyond the last iteration in Tweaks v11:
    • Found additional pre-detected trap in the second level of Kresselack's tomb.
    • Correct diffmode.ids now added to the game, per research in to the various HoW triggers
    • Added Contact Other Plane spirit dialogue fix for HoW dialogue in non-HoW areas
    • Additional string fix for Krilag typo
    • Added fix for broken DV in cutscene with Purvis
    • Added paperdoll fixes for human female thieves, clerics, and mages
    • Added Kinetic Spear fixes

[*]Added Game Text Update component

How is your fixpack works with Redrake's old one? Can they be used together or they are mutually exclusive?

Mutually exclusive. Redrake's is pretty much a file dump/tlk overwriter, though all the fixes in it were already in Tweaks (and now here) save the alignment changes. (Waaaay back in the day I posted all this stuff in redrake's forum, but it doesn't seem like it made it in to the releases.)

I may, in some future version, try to tackle alignments if I'm feeling masochistic. I still have the scars from the BG2 Fixpack alignment fights and I'm not terribly eager to start that again. That being said it may be easier since BG2 Fixpack is a muddled democracy while IWD Fixpack is (currently) a soulless autocracy.

I'd vastly prefer IWD FP being a muddled democracy as well, so if anyone is dumb ambitious enough to want to help I'm all for it. At the very least I hope to foster the same forum give-and-take we get for BG2 FP as that's done nothing but improve the project, despite my tongue-in-cheek griping.

Congrats! From reading the logs, it seems I don't have to change/fix anything in IWD NPC, the mods still should work together?

Nah, it's more or less the same stuff from Tweaks with a few more fixes and a hell of a lot more documentation. However, I did get a PM from devSin right after release letting me know that he had an IWD fixpack a year ago and that I did everything wrong, so we may see v2 sooner rather than later.

(Since it's hard to convey being tongue-in-cheek via forum, yes, devSin does have a fixpack from a year ago built off the old tweaks component that I'm looking through and, as usual, he was very gracious in offering it up along with some corrections for this one. And also as usual, I have no docs at all to work from so I'll be abusing WeiDU's comp function for a while. ??? )

Congratulations !

About translations, did you manage to get the existing translations from IWD Tweaks, or the translation is only a partial one, or everything must be redone again?

Everything was lifted from v11 of Tweaks; I think the only string addition was the 'Game Text Update' string (and I didn't ask only because I wanted this to be a surprise).

I've built in the framework to easily roll out the GTU in any language. If you look in the languages folder, every one has a gtu.tra and gtu.tpa that gets included depending on the installation language. So if you want to take a crack at a French GTU, it'll be cake to include and update.

I built the English GTU in about two days. I simply ran a tlk compare from WeiDU between the TotLM dialog.tlk file against the ones from base IWD and HoW and looked at the differences. Many were simple formatting changes (in HoW they basically added 'unusable by' lines to everything, even if no one was restricted) which I ignored, a few more were legit changes between the engines (i.e. when they released HoW they made spears slower but more damaging), but there were still a ton of typo fixes. I plan on running the whole tlk through a spellcheck at some future point to see if I can find any more typos.

I may, in some future version, try to tackle alignments if I'm feeling masochistic.

It'd be really nice, seeing how how many "Detect Evil" a Paladin can chuck out. Would that also spill over to IWD-in-BG2?

If there's anything applicable to IWD-in-BG2 I don't see why not. Most of the fixes added in v1 were found while debugging IWD-in-BG2 and traced back to the original game.

What about Grog's fixes from Auril's Bane?

In general, do you suggest installing AB before or after the fixpack?

There's almost no mods for the IWD, and AB is a very good addition to the game.

I remember looking at Grog's stuff when I was first putting together the fixes. As I recall it was mainly a metric ton of alignment fixes which I didn't touch and some other stuff that I really didn't feel were fixes. The latest version (1.7) also doesn't include the bug fix text file, so it's also completely undocumented. The only bug fix doc I can find is from the v1.3 HoW version but the bug fix doc is labeled v1.1 and woefully inadequate--264 file changes explained in eight lines. It's definitely excluded a mess of stuff, as there are a bunch of dialogue files changed and f***-all in the docs about them.

The real problem is that AB dumps a bunch of files in to the override and that leaves little room for other mods to accomodate it. A good analogy would be Ascension for BG2--it's popular, but also very old-school in its code and causes a lot of headaches to newer mods that have to work around it, except with the added bonus of zero documentation. Yeah, it's a crappy answer and disappointing for the players. But I honestly don't have the time to go through AB file-by-file and figure out what it does and why--or whether that's even possible.

If you go Fixpack > AB, AB is going to overwrite some fixes at the least, but there's a much higher probability that AB content would work without a hitch. If you go AB > Fixpack, Fixpack may not want to install due to unexpected changes from AB, though I think the game may be smoother ultimately if it does install. In either case I'd recommend avoiding Grog's fixes and sticking to the other components. If there are conflicts, please report them so I can 1) fix issues and 2) offer a more informed opinion for install order.

And I guess this is probably as good a place as any to mention it, but yeah, I'd like this to try and follow the BG2 FP model where we try to have a lot of discussion (especially challenges to the included fixes), make the documentation as thorough and transparent as possible so everyone understands exactly what they're getting (and more to the point, offer feedback), and be reasonably strict about what gets in. In v1 I was very strict since I was essentially working in a vacuum, hence the reluctance to go after something like alignment changes, but I'm hoping we can work toward something that we'll all (more or less) be happy with in future versions.

But I honestly don't have the time to go through AB file-by-file and figure out what it does and why--or whether that's even possible.
You can diff the (script source)files, right ? It helps a bit... just a bit, if you really wish, is it worth the trouble... not for me, but... well, not really at all...

Archived