Reactions and stuff

Guest Bob

Usually people post how their NPCs react to the official NPCs and vice versa, have you thought about these things yet?

You've already posted that Anomen gets a lot of... attention in this mod, but do what about the others? I'll put down my opinions on what I reckon some reactions might be...

Aerie - I reckon Keli and Aerie will get along fine, and will be a bit wary of Inara at first, but if Keli says she's okay then she'd probably get along alright. Inara would probably get along fine with her, since she's like her sister in a way.

Cernd - I can't see him hating them really, he doesn't dislike anyone apart from Sarevok (and that's just due to his undead state). I bet the sisters would be confused by some things he says tho.

Edwin - Eddy might try to get one or both to sleep with him, but I reckon Keli would definitely refuse. Inara might string him along a bit and then say no eventually. Do Keli and Inara know what Thayvian wizards are?

Haer'Dalis - They should get along fine, I think Haer'Dalis will be flirty with both of em, and Inara might flirt back. They will also have good things to talk about regarding the planes.

Imoen - She gets along fine with good characters, so she'll probably get along okay with Keli and Inara. Imoen CAN be annoying though, and maybe one of them might get annoyed if she talks to them too much about nonsense, or something.

Jaheira - I think she'd think of them as allies, really, I don't think the sisters would have much to say to her, and vice versa.

Jan - Hehe, I think Jan'll tell them his stories and, I dunno, how gullible is Keli, because I think it might be funny for her to really believe him, until they get really farfetched. You don't really know whether his stories are true tho, do you? Oh, Inara probably will dismiss his stories, but listen to them for a good laugh.

Keldorn - He seems to be okay with Haer'Dalis, so I think he'd be okay to the sisters.. I think he might have to say something about Inara, she might come across as being quite slutty to someone like him, and he'd probably have a discussion with her about that. I think Keli might look to him as a bit of a wise father figure, whereas Inara sees him as boring maybe?

Korgan - I think Keli would be very scared of Korgan. Keli is a lot like Aerie and Korgan hates her, and threatens to kill her doesn't he? Inara might gain a shred of respect, so she might be able to protect her sister from his wrath. I can't see Korgan and Keli getting along at all. Maybe Keli would want to part company if Korgan threatens her too much?

Mazzy - Mazzy'll respect them since they're good, she might be a bit wary of their demonic heritage though, but I think she'll trust them, overall. Keli will probably think Mazzy's nice and friendly and Inara might think of her as a bit stuffy.

Minsc - Minsc takes a shining to Aerie so I think he'll like Keli just the same. He'll more than likely like Inara as well. Maybe Minsc can say he'll protect Keli as well, not asking her to be his Witch - that should be reserved strictly for Aerie, but just go in a rage if she dies. Inara will probably think he's absolutely insane, and be really surprised when he has those moments of wisdom. Keli and Inara will probably think Boo is a normal hamster, but at certain points they may be confused as to whether it's a normal hamster.

Nalia - Nalia will probably like them since they're good people, but I can't really see any topics they'd be interested in talking about.. they'd probably be just allies to her, and maybe they'd feel the same. If they have a stance on helping the poor then there might be something to say.

Valygar - Wary of Keli's use of magic, as he would be with Aerie. Inara, he is less worried about, and may respond to her if she flirts with him? Keli'd try assuring Valygar she has her magic under control, probably.. think she could develop a small crush on him? He's probably a lot like a man she'd want, except the magic-hating.

Viconia - Can't see her getting along with Keli at all, due to her worshipping Selune- whom Shar utterly hates, and because of that, I can't see her and Inara getting along either. I think there'd be a lot of arguments for which Inara might have to jump in and protect Keli. Maybe Viconia could get a message/vision from Shar to kill Keli?

Yoshimo - Yoshimo tries to befriend all the party, so I can't see him hating either of the girls. I actually REALLY don't know how they'd react to him though, maybe you could make them really good, like BEST, friends so they'd be utterly crushed when Yoshimo betrays them? I think that'd be a nice touch. It'd add a lot of emotion to it, I think.

Also, if one of the sisters dies (I mean, like disintegration or something), will the other one stay in the party or will she hate you for it and leave? I reckon they should leave, regardless of romance status.. I think it's like that with Kiara and errrrrrrrr the other one :)

Nice suggestions, Bob, thanks for that. :) I'll make use of some of those, I imagine.

I can't speak for Bev, but yes, I've hashed out a general system for how Inara will react to all the NPCs and likewise, but I'm keeping it in the backroom for the moment; could use some more work.

Inara's got lots of layers to peel, and she'll naturally be a very different person to most of the NPCs than she would the PC in her late romance. I'll say that she is the type, sort of like Yoshimo, to feel everyone out in her own way, but generally avoids actual confrontations. By confrontation I mean something more dramatic than standard insult-flinging or teasing, as she likes to test people, but without any cruel agenda.

Inara will be more likely to get along with the "evil" characters, regardless of how they act towards her sister, generally unless there is violence for Keli involved. Though the sisters care about each other, for the most part they've been living their own lives and leave the other alone in their dealings. Which is part of the reason they get along, despite their very different views on life. However, she won't be against some ill-timed teasing interjections while Keli's duking it out with someone. She's not very wise, after all. :)

At some point I'll post mine for the masses to respond to. We're trying to give each NPC thought, but other input is always welcome. =)

As for the sister dying, I'm not sure how Grim intends to deal with that. I would think at a certain point in the romance the other would stay, if you're romancing her. It's on the backburner while we deal with the main writing.

Inara will be more likely to get along with the "evil" characters, regardless of how they act towards her sister, generally unless there is violence for Keli involved.

The thing is, I anticipate the two most evil (Chaotic Evil and Neutral Evil) ones to BE violent towards her sister - Korgan because, well, if she's annoying to him then he won't hesitate to cut her down, and Viconia because their godesses are the biggest of enemies in the realms.

Also, the way you speak about Inara.. she seems more chaotic good than chaotic neutral... but that's just my opinion.

Fair points. :) I have a different view about Korgan, actually. I find his nature rather deceptive, in that he can actually be charming, if in a boorish and candid way. He jokes around with Keldorn and Mazzy in-game, threatening to spank Aerie at one point. Especially with Mazzy, who is one of the game's "do-gooders," she puts up with him and even has something of a laugh with him as he hits on her. For that and other minute reasons, I don't see him and Keli coming to blows. But that is mainly Bev's department, so whatever she sees fit. ;) Inara will act appropriately in response.

There will be conflict with Viconia, one reason why I was against Inara attempting to default-romance her.

As for alignment, Inara has facets that wholly fit the CN category, and some in CG, and others as well, so you're right, in ways she doesn't fit the mold. I use alignment as a loose base, and am more concerned with creating a unique character than making sure she's appropriately insane. :)

We'll see how well we pull off our banters, though. There will always be other interpretations, but we're only concerned making our vision manage convincingly and true to game. Hope you enjoy them regardless. ;)

You've already posted that Anomen gets a lot of... attention in this mod,

I don't know that Anomen gets any more attention than anyone else in this mod. It's just that there are a lot of people that don't seem to like him.

Aerie - yes she and Keli will get along fine, although Aerie may find Keli to be a touch too aggressive at times.

Cernd - haven't put a whole lot of thought into this yet.

Edwin - Keli will be highly suspicious of him because, yes, she does know about the Red Wizards.

Haer Dalis' - I imagine that he and Inara will get along better than he will with Keli. Keli doesn't know much about the planes except what Inara and her mother have told her - which isn't much.

Imoen - I can see Keli getting along great with her.

Jaheira - there may be conflict here, given the romance even if the PC doesn't choose Jaheira. But not a bloody conflict, just a good tongue-lashing thing that Jaheira is so good at.

Jan - Keli's not too gullible, given the things that Inara has pulled on her. But you're right, she'll probably believe Jan's stories until he gets further into them.

Keldorn - I would tend to agree with your assessment here. But I also think that Keldorn may be at least a little suspicious of them.

Korgan - this is another one I'll have to put some thought to. Keli doesn't scare that easily - she is a trained Silverstar after all.

Mazzy - Keli will have great admiration for Mazzy. And as a side note [rant] I think it's stupid that only humans can be paladins. [/rant]

Minsc - I think that Keli and Minsc will have a great friendship.

Nalia - Keli will admire Nalia for trying to help the lower classes.

Yoshimo - as you have said, he gets along with everyone. And we now know it's because it's his job to do so.

Viconia - I saved her for last because I can only see this ending in bloodshed. It's a Silverstar's job to oppose followers of Shar.

As for what happens if one of the sisters dies, I don't see where that would cause the surviving sister to leave. She'd comment, of course, but the death of one sister shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not the other one leaves. As for other circumstances, well, we haven't talked about that yet.

Guest Guest
Fair points. :) I have a different view about Korgan, actually. I find his nature rather deceptive, in that he can actually be charming, if in a boorish and candid way. He jokes around with Keldorn and Mazzy in-game, threatening to spank Aerie at one point. Especially with Mazzy, who is one of the game's "do-gooders," she puts up with him and even has something of a laugh with him as he hits on her. For that and other minute reasons, I don't see him and Keli coming to blows. But that is mainly Bev's department, so whatever she sees fit. :p Inara will act appropriately in response.

Korgan can be charming when he wants to, but he does, maybe, love Mazzy. I heard there was originally meant to be a Korgan-Mazzy romance, though I had a hard time believing that. I think Mazzy doesn't like Korgan hitting on her in his USUAL manner. When he recites that short verse to her she seems to like it though, but Korgan kinda ruins it afterwards.

I think he may well come to blows with Keli still, depending on the PC's reaction or maybe Mazzy could try and stop him, that'd be a nice touch, but it's up to Bev, as you say. :)

There will be conflict with Viconia, one reason why I was against Inara attempting to default-romance her.

That's good, I was originally going to say that Viconia insults all women in the party, or any woman she comes across anyway but it seemed like I'd write too much then, so that's good for keeping her in character.

As for alignment, Inara has facets that wholly fit the CN category, and some in CG, and others as well, so you're right, in ways she doesn't fit the mold. I use alignment as a loose base, and am more concerned with creating a unique character than making sure she's appropriately insane. :D

Fair enough, maybe she'd be better as True Neutral, that's more or less between the two allignments, she just doesn't seem like she'd resemble Jan or Haer'Dalis. Also, Yoshimo is TN, and you say she's a lot like Yoshimo, right? I don't suppose allignment is as huge an issue as I am making it out though.

We'll see how well we pull off our banters, though. There will always be other interpretations, but we're only concerned making our vision manage convincingly and true to game. Hope you enjoy them regardless. ;)

That's nice, it seems like I'd agree with what you do anyway. I may have to proofread what you write if you want ;)

Guest Guest

Don't forget Valygar, Bev.

Also, when I said Anomen gets a lot of attention, I meant that it's because Inara romances CN-Anomen and Keli romances LG-Anomen, don't they?

I did forget Valygar, didn't I...

Must've been intentional, or a way of saying... "Keli's got the hots for Valygar"

Hey.. didn't I say something like that in my original post? :)

Since I, like Columbo, have deciphered your tricky, wily ways and read your mind.. Valygar hates divine magic too doesn't he?

Archived